Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some feedback.  (Read 13861 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2007, 07:00:48 am »

"Sex Funeral" would be a great name for your book.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2007, 03:06:40 pm »

"Sex Funeral" would be a great name for your book.

Ha!  I'm thinking goth erotica.  Can'd
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2007, 05:07:17 pm »

Isn't "goth erotica" one of those contradictions in terms...

Like "jumbo shrimp" or "the Bush Administration's military intelligence" or something?

Call me old-fashioned but ain't nothin' sexy about a zombie or a vampire or a werewolf.

Just gimmie a healthy adult lady in not a lot of clothes, you know?

Bonus points for bein' tall, for having swarthy skin or freckles, for havin' dark hair, for havin' eyes that are somewhere between brown and blue, for not overshavin' her downstairs, for havin' a full bosom and et cetera.

Why do we have to complicate it with people play actin' that they're dark elves? It's so hot already, the lady in not-many-clothes.

I... I wasn't made for now, that's all there is to it. I was either made for the early nineteen-seventies or for five years in the future. I just have to accept this. I wasn't built for a time that is attracted to Paris Hilton, this is just a fact.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2007, 11:21:04 pm »

This is all true Lil' but the best people to write genre erotica are those who aren't into it, that way they can stay objective and not get caught up in things.  It's your future calling.  Will you... will you answer the call?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2007, 01:02:53 am »

Isn't erotica all ABOUT getting caught up in things, though?

Or... I guess I just don't understand erotica.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2007, 03:42:27 am »

I was trying to buy romance novels for my mother tonight (it is a family Christmas Tradition that my dad and I buy her a bunch of them, at least a few lame), and I was really kind of surprised by how many paranormal romances there were. I mean, sure, as a subgenre I can get it, but... does every second book these days have a vampire or a demon in it? This is worse than Highlanders!

(Also, for some reason the bookstore stocked "Mature Manga" next to the romance novels. This led to an extremely strange conversation with my father, as you might expect. "Hey, Amanda, what're you looking at? ... Is that guy supposed to have a tail?" "Uh, I think so? It's Japanese. And, uh, I'm not actually interested in buying it." "Oh.")
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2007, 08:19:03 am »

My update for y'all on this subject:

I've kept plugging away at this thing. I'm about 62,000 words in... or 142 pages in the format I'm writing in now... or 18 chapters in now. My rough early outlines said that I was going to end up with 45 chapters if it went as I'd planned at the beginning so... like...

I guess I'm 40% of the way in. So much farther than I ever thought I'd get. The plot points that I considered to originally be the middle of the book, plotwise, looks like I'll start getting to them in the 21st chapter and so... like... yeah. Yeah.

I'm on pace so far and... while there will be, of course, a whole lot of work to do after the first draft and all of that... so far for a first draft, I'm pretty happy. I'm saying the things, telling the story that I've wanted to tell so far.

I just wanted to thank y'all again for the encouragement at the start.

Without it, I might not've had the balls to start. Thank you, thank you.

Also: wombat? My girlfriend likes "heroes for ghosts" too and so she makes the rules, that's the working title now. Your idea has helped me a great deal.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2007, 02:27:57 pm »

Good for you, LFM. And glad to have been of service.

In related news, I am now reading a book about writing fiction called "Telling lies for fun and profit" by Lawrence Block.  So far it's not very useful but I couldn't pass up the title. (It looks like it gets more useful later - so far it's a bunch of chapters about work habits and persistence which are not really problems that I have. It's highly recommended by Sue Grafton who's very successful in my genre so I figure I should keep on reading.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2007, 04:39:06 pm »

So, LFM, are we gonna be able to read some drafts? I'd really like to take a look at what you've got. When you're ready, of course.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2007, 06:07:40 pm »

Most likely, yes. Probably once I have a full rough draft and have been able to take one polishing pass at it, I will be comfortable enough to share it with some of the people here. Of course... if its taken me two months to get 40% of the way into my original plan for the story... I'm a long way off from there.

Interestingly, as I look over what I've done so far and what goals I have left to accomplish, I... once I get the characters to the situation that marks the three-quarters-in mark of my first outline... I kind of don't know how long that last quarter of the book, after that point, could actually be. Could be just two or three ten-page chapters from there.

The first quarter was all set-up for the characters while they were in NYC, the middle half is supposed to be a journey west with three or four definite stops along the way (the characters are now between their first and second stops on that journey) and the last quarter was to be what happens after they get to what they thought was their goal.

So. Like. Maybe the third "act"... the final quarter of the plot might be significantly shorter in terms of pages/words/chapters. I dunno.

If I can get another nine or so chapters into the story by the end of the year, about 60% of the original plan, maybe I'll have a better sense of the endgame by then, y'know.

It's all so interesting. It's so unlike a screenplay where you can bang out a first draft in three weeks that's all that you're up to.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2007, 06:22:58 pm »

Sue Grafton

Tangent:  Sue Grafton is a native of Louisville.  Last time Mrs. West and I went to the funky little furniture consignment store we frequent, they were selling a custom made office set (desk, credenza and so on) of Sue Grafton's.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2007, 11:04:17 pm »

I'd really like to read it too, once you are ready of course.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2007, 11:42:12 am »

With two more chapters... "Letters from the Earth" and "Shoeless Joe"... written as first draft, I have 22 chapters written from an original plan of 44 chapters and can say that by some measure I am halfway done with the first draft.

Good Lord, what a thought. Somehow actually halfway there and yet... really? Only halfway there?

I'm sure Bon Jovi could write a song on this topic.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
...just to update...
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2008, 10:18:20 pm »

I'm still writing the first draft but I now have...

Forty chapters written, though three of those aren't typed in, yet.

And I got four more chapters to go.

Pretty much, this thing is either a saleable science-fiction novel or evidence toward my committal.

I'm still calling it "heroes for ghosts" so far and, man, it has become larger in size and in scope than I could ever imagined.

Once I have a polished first draft, I will still definitely look to some of y'all for advice/input when I get to that point, if you are still up for it.

It is turning out a little more paranoid than I thought it would?

But, also, so much more hopeful.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Need some feedback.
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2008, 03:49:11 am »

Once you've gotten it all typed, give yourself a deadline to make the official first draft.  I'm finding the hardest thing I ever do is declare something to be ready for feedback -- if I don't have a deadline, I'll keep it forever and completely lose perspective.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up