Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Traditional shaving  (Read 15022 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Traditional shaving
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:24:40 pm »

This is a repost of something I put on another board, but I'm bored.

So the other day I got fed up with my Schick Quattro. The second razor cartridge in roughly a week had become irreparably clogged despite my best efforts. I have a goatee and sideburns, so there are some longer hairs that get trimmed when I shave. I decided to do what I had thought about doing for a while--invest in a traditional safety/double-edged razor. I did some investigation and settled on a Merkur HD--which I guess is considered the standard. I also got some traditional shaving cream (in a toothpaste tube, not an areosol can) and and alum bar--which tightens up the skin post-shave (and closes up any little nicks). Also, 100 high quality razor blades for 17 cents a piece.

Anyway, blah blah blah, you're getting bored at this point. So I'll run down the pros and cons as my research and one-time use have indicated.

Pros:
-A much closer shave. With those Gillette and Shick 60-blade razors you have to kind of press it hard against your face--and even then the shave isn't that close.
-Cheaper cost. Potentially. There is a higher initial investment, but that's mainly for stuff that could last decades. A full traditional shaving rig includes a razor (~$30), a badger or boar's hair brush (I didn't buy this because I'm a vegetarian and high-quality brushes are kind of expensive. I might get one eventually) $20-60, shaving cream or soap ($3-$30). I've read that a high quality soap can last for six months.
-A much more enjoyable shave. Don't like shaving? You might this way. It requires using lots of hot water on your face, clearing your razor in hot water (and the steel on the razor gets warm and feels really nice). A lot of guys who are into this pamper themselves with a nice, slow shave. Think of the hot towel and straight razor at the barber shop--isn't that nice? Well, this is kind of like that.
-Potentially less stuff to throw into a landfill. The razor blades also biodegrade a lot faster than the plastic cartridges in the Mach IIIs/Quattros, etc.
-Get out of the ridiculous "Now, with even MORE blades" arms race

Cons:
-Can be more expensive. Can be more wasteful. Especially if you become a crazy collector and start buying all kinds of products in search of the perfect shave.
-Easier to cut yourself--especially when you're just starting. The traditional double-edged razors glide along your skin with virtually no pressure applied. If you're used to using the multi-blade thingies, then your instinct will be to press too hard.
-Takes longer to do properly. This can be a plus depending on how you look at it. If it's a nice, pampering experience, then there's no harm in it taking a while.

Some links:
http://www.leesrazors.com - site known for great customer service. They put some free stuff like a used-razor holder, a high-quality shaving cream sample, and 10 blades in my order.
http://www.badgerandblade.com - hobbyists who are really helpful, knowledgeable, and a might bit obsessive.
http://shaveblog.com/ - a good, now-defunct blog that has a lot of info. As an aside, the guy who wrote it was a "tech editor" for NBC's morning show. He got some bad press for recommending products on the show that he was a paid endorser for. Yikes. NBC just shrugged. Gotta love our media.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 05:58:21 pm »

http://www.badgerandblade.com - hobbyists who are really helpful, knowledgeable, and a might bit obsessive.

Wow. I wish shaving was something I could call a hobby, instead of a fuck*ng chore. Then again, I've never had my face shaved with anything like that. I checked out those sites, and couldn't figure out what you did with half of it. What's the brush for? Shaving creaam? My palm has been fine up till now. Maybe this is one of those things that I would have been ahead of the game on if I had a male role model growing up. My first razor was an electric one, and that was all I used for years. I didn't get to the Mach3/Quattro/Dodecabladerons until I was about 23.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 06:03:37 pm »

I started with an electric, went to the Mach3, and went back to a nicer electric. Both kinds of razor cause some irritation and both leave spots on my face that look like I never shaved there at all. So I decided I'd rather have shaving take 90 seconds and have a tiny risk of cuts than have the closer shave. Plus I felt that the unshavable spots were more noticeable with the blade.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 06:06:10 pm »

What's the brush for?
Shaving soap. Like the kind you would put in a mug. And you would apply with hot water--a very nice experience. It can also be used to whip up a nice lather for non-aerosol creams.

And re: male role models. Yes, my dad did give me a shaving lesson on one of my summer trips to visit him. He always used brushes and shaving soap. He's an environmentalist and a bit of a luddite.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 06:13:52 pm »

Ample facial hair doesn't really run in my family. I can grow a thin goatee and sideburns, but pretty much nothing comes in on the cheeks. In fact, I was able to shave with only water until I was about 20. I have to use shaving cream now that it comes in thicker, but I can still get away with shaving only once every three days.

So yeah, I could definitely appreciate a nice, hot, traditional shave, but it would be totally wasted on my face.

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 06:20:20 pm »

Using a safety razor is "traditional shaving" now?  Shit's too easy, kids... this is how a real man shaves.

Alright, admittedly I do use a safety razor myself most of the time, if only because it takes about ten minutes less to do it and I can't always go to work looking like I've been in a street fight.  But nothing matches the feeling of knowing your morning routine includes a step where you could potentially cut through your jugular and die.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 06:21:07 pm »

I can still get away with shaving only once every three days.

You lucky bastard.
Logged

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 06:23:08 pm »

Yeah, I'm certainly not ready for the commitment of a straight razor.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 06:25:34 pm »

I've been trying to get away with shaving thrice weekly: once on Sunday night, where I can take the time to really do it right, then Tuesday and Thursday mornings, where I'm getting ready for work and time is a bit of an issue. I could see going all out with this stuff for the Sunday shave, but I'd always need the 99 cent razor in the mornings, where I trade just about everything for sleep.

Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 07:06:31 pm »

You lucky bastard.

On the downside, that just means I can't grow an awesome lumberjack beard.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 07:41:42 pm »

yeah, um, I hate shaving, and I always do a poor job of it.

my grandfather died when my dad was 15, so when my dad was old enough to shave he had to teach himself. with a straight-razor (or safety razor?) and cut the fuck out of his face.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 08:06:57 pm »

When I was about 12 or 13, I was at my dad's, watching TV, and he came out and said, "Son, don't feel the need to jump into shaving too quickly." I turned to see he had sliced himself open pretty good. He didn't hit any of his blood Interstates, but I think he cracked into a US Route or two. Rather than clean himself up, he brought his bloodied self out to show me the dangers of shaving. I think that's why I used an electric for the first 10 years or so.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 08:12:02 pm »

I've had to shave since I was eleven. Never cared for it at all.

I'm surprised that it took until the age of 28 to grow a beard but... I suppose I didn't wanna look too much like my dad too young.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 08:31:26 pm »

I'm halfway there - I use a Mach 3 Power (although I just got a free Quattro in the mail and am impressed with its heft) with Proraso cream from a green metal tube, whipped into a lather in my left palm by a badger brush.

The Proraso/badger combination is FAR AND AWAY superior to the Edge gel I use if I'm in a hurry.  The lather is way richer, especially when I squeeze out the brush before rinsing and apply the extra foam with the tips of my fingers.  It smells better than anything aerosol and the tubes last hella long because I'm in the Two Times A Week Club (Monday and Wednesday mornings).  I've thought about getting a soap disc and doing it that way but so far the tube method is fine and I don't have a soapy cup sitting around.

I've been meaning to try the Merkur safety razor but I haven't had any problems with my semi-disposables.  I rinse in a shallow sink of hot water but I've considered switching to cold water for this purpose because of the concept of metal contracting when cold, thus rendering the blade ever-so-slightly sharper.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 08:34:06 pm »

I've been meaning to try the Merkur safety razor but I haven't had any problems with my semi-disposables.  I rinse in a shallow sink of hot water but I've considered switching to cold water for this purpose because of the concept of metal contracting when cold, thus rendering the blade ever-so-slightly sharper.

Then you'd need a separate sink for rinsing your face. When using a blade you get a better shave when your face is warm and moist.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up