Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Traditional shaving  (Read 14991 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tryphon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 11:58:33 am »

First, let me say that I am glad I found this board! It covers a lot of topics and it is a lot of fun!
I am a keen wetshaver and also the webmaster of a shaving forum http://members.boardhost.com/razorandbrush/
Shaving can be a pleasure and it gives many of us "fans" a way to dedicate a few minutes of our day to a quiet and (for us) relaxing break. If you find using a canned foam and a cartridge razor a chore, you should try a vintage double-edge razor and a good shaving soap, applied with a brush: it is a way of pampering yourself!
Anyway, thanks for this Forum: I look forward to taking part in the various discussions!
Giovanni (Florida)
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 03:48:42 pm »

Funny this thread should reopen, since I used my new/old DE Lady Gillette yesterday (as noted in the Today I'm Gonna thread). 

Smoothest.  Shave.  Ever. 

Now I've gotta learn to whip up a good lather.  Pedro's been using Proraso and building lather on his beard, so I'm going to use up the cake soap he started with. 

I know, in theory, how to do it, but I've not tried yet. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

tryphon

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 09:42:55 pm »

Funny this thread should reopen, since I used my new/old DE Lady Gillette yesterday (as noted in the Today I'm Gonna thread). 

Smoothest.  Shave.  Ever. 

Now I've gotta learn to whip up a good lather.  Pedro's been using Proraso and building lather on his beard, so I'm going to use up the cake soap he started with. 

I know, in theory, how to do it, but I've not tried yet. 

Proraso is a great soap. Not upper crust, but very effective and soothing. One of my favorites. Make sure you use a brush: even a cheapo from WalMart will do in a pinch.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 11:12:12 pm »

I think it must be a sad sign of things that "traditional shaving" for me now means using shaving cream when I slide the disposable razor across my face, rather than just getting my face wet.

Oh, also, I've used the same said disposable blade since October.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2008, 04:36:49 am »

Holy shnikeys, do you still have a face?
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 04:41:32 am »

Oh, also, I've used the same said disposable blade since October.
Doesn't like, bacteria and whatnot grow on there? I mean, Would you rub a used dish or cup on your face for 5 months?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2008, 04:57:24 am »

...Would you rub a used ... cup on your face for 5 months?
I know you rugby guys revel in your coarseness and all, but I'm glad you draw the line somewhere.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 12:20:24 am »

Doesn't like, bacteria and whatnot grow on there? I mean, Would you rub a used dish or cup on your face for 5 months?

Hmmm... well, I do have the cup I drink water from to rinse... that's been in the bathroom about as long.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 12:22:45 am »

Doesn't like, bacteria and whatnot grow on there? I mean, Would you rub a used dish or cup on your face for 5 months?

If you rinsed it in hot water every day you'd be alright, I mean people use straight razors forever.
Whether it would still shave you in the traditional sense is a bit more questionable.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2008, 04:02:04 am »

How often do you shave golfhaus? I take pride in my inability to grow facial hair and I've gone through at least... three razors since October.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2008, 04:03:40 am »

How often do you shave golfhaus?

Pretty much never.  And I plan to keep it that way -- Golfhaus can shave his ownself.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2008, 03:25:43 pm »

How often do you shave golfhaus?

Only when he ponies up the extra cash. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2008, 04:40:54 pm »

Har har, I forgot to use a comma. Jerks!

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2008, 04:48:17 pm »

Since when does feigning ignorance for the purpose of humor make someone a jerk? 

Oh, right.  Since forever. 

Sorry about that. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2008, 04:16:08 am »

Funny this thread should reopen, since I used my new/old DE Lady Gillette yesterday (as noted in the Today I'm Gonna thread). 

Smoothest.  Shave.  Ever. 

Now I've gotta learn to whip up a good lather.  Pedro's been using Proraso and building lather on his beard, so I'm going to use up the cake soap he started with. 

I know, in theory, how to do it, but I've not tried yet. 
My wife and step-daughter both love my Merkur. The fact that I'm considering connecting the dots between my goatee and sideburns is unrelated (no, really--I don't mind sharing and such things don't gross me out).
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up