Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Traditional shaving  (Read 15006 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2008, 08:55:39 am »

so, I basically have a pretty cool beard at this point. I was commenting to someone that I never know how to trim it, and he straight-up said my beard is see-through. What is that shit. He has some kind of insane waxed-mustache/goatee/mutton-chops combination going on, though, so I do not know what to think.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2008, 05:04:26 pm »

so, I basically have a pretty cool beard at this point. I was commenting to someone that I never know how to trim it, and he straight-up said my beard is see-through. What is that shit. He has some kind of insane waxed-mustache/goatee/mutton-chops combination going on, though, so I do not know what to think.

I think you should not listen to a man with more than two kinds of facial hair.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2008, 07:10:50 pm »

yeah, for real.
He was all "back-handed-compliment" about it, too. He said "you're lucky, having see-through beards is really hip right now."

anyway, whatever. I am actually debating whether to shave it. Mostly because for some reason once it gets past a certain length, some parts of it turn red, and that isn't my favorite.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2008, 09:33:08 am »

Mostly because for some reason once it gets past a certain length, some parts of it turn red, and that isn't my favorite.
Enjoy it while it lasts.  My beard was black and red - all the red is now gray/white.  The black didn't change so much.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2008, 06:48:06 pm »

Enjoy it while it lasts.  My beard was black and red - all the red is now gray/white.  The black didn't change so much.
In an unusual turn of events, the goatee area of my beard is turning white. Im 22.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2008, 06:53:47 pm »

yeah, um, I shaved that thing off. I forgot about how last time I had a beard and then shaved it, everyone told me I looked much better without it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2008, 07:30:44 pm »

I like the fact that the longer I have a beard, the more red it is.

It is sort of a nice reminder of the genetic diversity lingering beneath my strictly-swarthy veneer.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2008, 09:34:24 pm »

Pedro's beard turns reddish in the summertime.  His older brother has red hair, though, so apparently those genes aren't lurking too near the bottom of the pool. 

Until my early twenties, I was naturally quite blonde, although my hair can best be described now as "dishwater" at best.  (At worst, it's "penis brown.")  This was offset, however, by the unfortunate darkness and coarseness of the hair on my legs and...ahem...other places...which would ordinarily lead one to the conclusion that the hair on my head was artificially lightened.  Which it wasn't. 

Now, of course, the carpet matches the drapes (so to speak -- or it would, were it not for diligent womanscaping), although it doesn't take much in the way of direct sun or chemical treatments to convince my hair to go blonde again.  So I'm thinking of bleaching it, especially now that it's so short, and going all Annie Lennox for the summer. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2008, 11:31:26 pm »

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2008, 12:26:49 am »

Only when he ponies up the extra cash. 

I have often considered paying people to shave me. I hate it. Hate hate hate.

I can usually go 36 hours without shaving and go into work without people looking at me funny. I have very dark, coarse hair, which doesn't help.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2008, 01:01:30 am »

I have often considered paying people to shave me. I hate it. Hate hate hate.

I can usually go 36 hours without shaving and go into work without people looking at me funny. I have very dark, coarse hair, which doesn't help.

Could you grow a beard?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2008, 01:02:01 am »

diligent womanscaping
Indeed.

My caretaker has the same type of hair as you, JL.  I have pics of her in college and high school looking very surfer/valleygirl which was entirely due to a childhood spent in southern California (although one valley over from San Fernando), immersed in chlorinated poolwater.  Now that she dwells in the land of eternal fog (and works indoors to boot) and spends her spare time whelping my love-children, dishwater is the closest description.  Or, as she calls it, "blah".  Two of my younger brothers were towheads as chilluns, and the other was redheaded.  The blondes have darkened to "stable-straw".  We all avoid the sun as much as we can since we're pigment-challenged.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2008, 01:42:16 am »

Could you grow a beard?

I have a goatee. If I let it go too long without busting out the trimmer, it gives me hope that I could go Mountain Man if I wanted to.

Mrs. Haus has informed me that if I stop shaving, she stops shaving.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Traditional shaving
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2008, 12:19:58 am »

See, I'm in the opposite place as jl and Jaydub's other half: I've always been blonde, and I was told all my childhood by my father "oh, it'll darken up; mine did." (My father was tow-headed his entire childhood but is a dark brunette now on the hair he's got left.) Somehow, though, it never actually happened. I'm definitely brassy, occasionally fading towards the light brown in winter, but I appear to be a perma-blonde.

The ironic thing about it is that my mother has had my hair color all along, and somehow it never occurred to us that I might have gotten her hair. Presumably that's because I'm more or less a female clone of my father otherwise, but still, wow.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up