Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Earthquake!  (Read 6272 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Earthquake!
« on: October 31, 2007, 04:07:49 am »

We just had a mild 'quake in the San Francisco Bay area.  Probably in the mid 5's.  Chandeliers swinging, paintings rattling, otherwise no damage.  My daughter thought it was fun.  Took a while for her to calm down for bedtime though.  Funny what kind of adrenaline charge you can get.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 03:18:29 pm »

Well, you guys had Fires and everything.  I figure this was some sort of karmic rebalancing.  Except for no-one lost their home - or life. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 05:11:17 pm »

You need to plan your disasters around the news cycle.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 05:21:58 pm »

You need to plan your disasters around the news cycle.

Or at least move over here and let the east coast bias work for you.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 07:35:31 pm »

You guys still have Albertsons?  I thought they got bought out-- al ours changed to Homeland or Williams.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 07:57:52 pm »

Wow, California sure sounds like a party! Flood, famine, fire, landslides, black tar heroin, earthquakes, San Francisco. Have fun dealing with that madhouse. Ill be over here where  we are void of almost every natural disaster and we get to see pretty snow in the winter.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 08:39:51 pm »

I dunno, man.

I've been in minor earthquakes that move radios off tables and I've been in... fuckin' blizzards that trap you in your house for three straight days and... y'know? I'm going with Door Number One.

Any natural disaster that takes lives is equally horrible, of course, but if we're talking non-lethal-but-annoying acts of God, I'll take the earthquakes every day and twice on Sundays over -20 degrees at noon.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 08:41:25 pm »

I've been in minor earthquakes that move radios off tables and I've been in... fuckin' blizzards that trap you in your house for three straight days and... y'know? I'm going with Door Number One.

What I loved about my childhood in Alaska: experience with both.

LFM speaks the truth. Snow is lovely, but blizzards blow (in more ways than one), and most earthquakes are novelties at best.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 09:41:01 pm »

Ive seen like 2 major bizzards in my life. And after years of experience I have come to the scientific conclusion that, well, snow melts. Fires roaring through housing developments dont rebuild the homes once the fire is out.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 09:53:03 pm »

Ive seen like 2 major bizzards in my life. And after years of experience I have come to the scientific conclusion that, well, snow melts. Fires roaring through housing developments dont rebuild the homes once the fire is out.

Uh, no offense, dude, but... damage done to buildings and trees and such by snow doesn't magically disappear when the snow melts, either. It's especially bad if it's an early-season blizzard; the first year we lived in Nebraska, we had a blizzard in mid-October that caused massive tree damage because most of the trees hadn't even lost their leaves yet. After having bought a house that summer with a beautiful tree-shaded back deck, we lost all the trees around it in that blizzard.

(Admittedly, this may have been a blessing in disguise, since they were apple trees that dropped tons of hell of nasty green apples on the lawn, and I might have gone insane had I had to clean them up for more than one summer. Nonetheless.)
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 11:08:22 pm »

Uh, no offense dude, but I am sorry you lost your trees.  That is horrible compared with thousands of people being out of their homes permanently (not that you don't have a point, but bad, bad counter example.)
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 11:09:55 pm »

I was on the BART train just outside San Francisco at the time of the earthquake, from what I gather. I'm still not too sure. All I know is that the train stopped for like 10 minutes at around eight, but I didn't bother taking off my headphones to hear the driver's explanation on what was going on.

What can I say? A really good podcast is more interesting than a mild natural disaster sometimes.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 11:21:59 pm »

your trees fell down? Oh yeah? well... I died in an earthquake! I died, and my family died, and all of my friends couldn't come to the funeral because they were so busy running from the mutant radioactive roaches which came out from the rift in the earth.

MY PROBLEMS ARE SO MUCH MORE SIGNIFICANT THAN YOURS! HOW DARE YOU?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 11:53:11 pm »

(Admittedly, this may have been a blessing in disguise, since they were apple trees that dropped tons of hell of nasty green apples on the lawn, and I might have gone insane had I had to clean them up for more than one summer. Nonetheless.)
Buy yourself a lacrosse stick and annoy the neighbors!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 12:19:37 am »

your trees fell down? Oh yeah? well... I died in an earthquake! I died, and my family died, and all of my friends couldn't come to the funeral because they were so busy running from the mutant radioactive roaches which came out from the rift in the earth.

MY PROBLEMS ARE SO MUCH MORE SIGNIFICANT THAN YOURS! HOW DARE YOU?

Dude how can you be so insensitive to make jokes at a time like this. Trees in Nebraska are freezing to death and all you can do is make jokes? For Shame, Dan.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up