Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Earthquake!  (Read 6280 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 12:24:32 am »

My point wasn't that my tragedy was infinitely more meaningful than the wildfires -- merely that, while snow melts, damage caused by snow does not.

Nonetheless: you weren't there, man!! You didn't see the awakening of the RADIOACTIVE CICADAS FROM THE EARTH'S CORE that that blizzard caused!!! Even noisier than a regular cicada!!
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 01:25:27 am »

no, I was agreeing with you. I was mocking the idea of "oh man, my disasters are so much worse than yours!"
Personally I am less ok with blizzards, but mostly because even cold by itself completely freaks me out.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 01:32:37 am »

Cold weather can eat a dick.  I'll take the hurricanes and humidity.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 02:44:21 am »

We got tornadoes around here.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 03:01:06 am »

I dunno, man.

I've been in minor earthquakes that move radios off tables and I've been in... fuckin' blizzards that trap you in your house for three straight days and... y'know? I'm going with Door Number One.

Any natural disaster that takes lives is equally horrible, of course, but if we're talking non-lethal-but-annoying acts of God, I'll take the earthquakes every day and twice on Sundays over -20 degrees at noon.


What I loved about my childhood in Alaska: experience with both.

LFM speaks the truth. Snow is lovely, but blizzards blow (in more ways than one), and most earthquakes are novelties at best.

I only lived through one earthquake when I was in Alaska. I think it was a 5 or 6 on the Richter scale? I can't even remember, only that it happened at like 4AM and was scary as hell. Fortunately there was no major structural damage.

I, however, happen to love cold weather. Any opportunity to layer up in cozy clothes is A-OK in my book. Gettin' heatstroke while doing fieldwork in Arizona is not my idea of a good time (well, actually, doing any kind of outdoor work in extreme temperatures really sucks). I hate breaking a sweat unless I'm working out or having Maximum Cuddles.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 03:17:20 am »

hmm. I was in multiple earthquakes when I lived in LA as a kid, but I don't remember them. I was also in 2 in Chile, but, they were more cool than scary? The first time, I was half-asleep, and thought my brother was shaking the bed to wake me up.
It kind of kept me from freaking out that... my grandfather laughed at my mom for making us stand in the doorway, and sat there in an easy chair watching the World Cup the whole time.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 06:26:26 am »

It's weird how normal things are here, with fires still burning in parts of the county and other parts without vital services like, say, water.  But still, fire is a very localized natural disaster.  If you were a half mile away from it, you maybe have a little extra cleaning to do at this point.  It's a lot like tornadoes -- total destruction surrounded by complete normalcy.

I will take a wildfire over a damn hurricane any day.  Seriously.  Hurricanes don't move fast, they aren't localized, and they leave shit everywhere.  They do widespread damage to every infrastructure grid you can think of, causing hundreds of small breaks that take weeks to fix.  If your roof wasn't ripped clean off, it was damaged, and it's going to take months to get a contractor to fix it unless you go for someone who isn't licensed.  For months you'll find random bits of people's houses blown into places you thought you checked, and there's usually a rusty nail or two sticking out of it.  Hate.  Haaaaate.

I'll take the risk of a fire (the danger from which can be mitigated) over anything involved with Florida any day.

Maybe not rent.  But anything else.

Earthquakes I can't speak to yet.  The one I was awake for that was big enough to feel?  I thought the dump truck had dropped a dumpster outside.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2007, 06:07:21 am »

Sad but true: Like all years, there were a few fires in Reno this summer, and one was somewhat close to my house. One day, when returning from work, I found the house completely empty and dark. I tried to call my parents to find out if we had to evacuate, but their cellphones were off, and I panicked and started packing emergency supplies. Five minutes later, my parents came home to find me running around the house with a backpack full of crap. Guess where they had been? Watching the fire.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up