Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I got mad about Robert Fripp's "music" again. I need to go to bed.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Flight of the Conchords  (Read 6535 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Flight of the Conchords
« on: November 07, 2007, 07:49:09 pm »

I searched the boards and found nothing.  Surely someone out there is as obsessed as me?  I spent four hours last night constructing a felt Albi the Racist Dragon patch complete with jelly bean tears because i wanted but couldn't afford the dvd that came out today.  Anybody with me?

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:15:13 pm »

Ok, yes, this show is awesome. I think the Bowie episode was my favorite. Booooowie in spaace...

Also, the leather suits made me laugh really hard. I wonder if they are going to do more episodes? Or if that first season was it? I do want to see more but I don't want them to overstay their welcome, you know?
Logged

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 08:24:32 pm »

there's a second season but i suspect that will be it.  it'll be cool to see how a whole bunch of new songs will work out.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:53:25 pm »

Inner... City...   Inner City Pressure.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 09:21:28 pm »

I was afraid the show would be all filler, a rickety shack built to enclose the hilarity of the songs I knew from their stand-up specials.  But it turned out to be the funniest filler ever, so much so that some of the songs seemed contrived compared to the Kwality Komedy.

A good example is when they're having a band meeting in Murray's office.  Bret gets a delivery from home!  It's an empty box, and Murray expresses his disappointment. :(

But Bret is happy because it's his favorite box! :D

Later in the show, we see Bret watching TV while he sits in the box.  Nobody made a big deal about the first box gag and nobody made a big deal about the second one.  We were allowed to notice it, or not.  The observant reaped the reward.

For my just-passed birthday, my mom got me one of those musical cards that plays a song when you open it.  I took my time examining it and eventually declared, to no one in particular, that it must work just like a CD.  Or headphones.  Or a Walkman.  I also considered growing out the sideburns and going as Jemaine for Halloween, but I couldn't find a suitable Bret.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 12:34:29 am »

man, I love that show.

Brett is my goal in terms of beard-style. His beard is so good.

But I do not at all know how to get that thing going. I think it has to do with places where my face grows hair that his does not?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Beatrice

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 280
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 05:51:17 am »

yeah.

basically from 350 miles away i talk to my boyfriend on the phone and we sing each other fotc songs.  throughout the day things remind me of said boyfriend, jemaine and bret, simultaneously...

the thing i made:
[img width= height=]http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1276/albifa3.jpg[/img]

i greatly enjoy the terms "jemainiac" and "bretrosexual" and they make me want to go back to new zealand (but what wouldn't?)  i saw an interview where they were asked if they were going to be models of the typical new zealand male and they laughed and said no, but actually i think they're pretty spot on.  dead pan but always good for a laugh, and too cute for their own good.

if you don't know what we're talking about here, look up all the videos and watch them over, and over, and over again...

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 06:05:56 am »

I have only seen like 9 of the episodes because we don't get HBO here. I am looking forwards to watching all of them when I am home for thanksgiving.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 08:49:53 pm »

Some kind soul put everything up on YouTube.  The shows are cut into thirds, but they're there and good enough for a fix if you're getting the shakes.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 01:27:55 am »

After HBO aired the first episode, I immediately went to YouTube and watched all of their live acoustic performances. I laughed, without fail, at every song. But when I saw the subsequent episodes with these songs adapted for the show, they weren't quite as funny. Like, Business Time, for example; that one seemed way funnier when I watched it on YouTube, with just them and a couple guitars. But on the show... I don't know. They were still funny, but something was lost the second time around.

But the new songs! Those were still great. I especially loved Inner City Pressure and Foux De Fa Fa. And the dialogue between songs was surprisingly funny.

So, all in all, a great fuck*ng show. I hope they're doing a second season.

(P.S. I think YouTube also has a documentary on them from New Zealand TV where they went to SXSW... heartily recommended)

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 05:33:18 am »

Glad to see you're still rocking the red locks, Bea.  That's a good look.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 06:42:53 am »

Someone from work has been raving to me about these people and when I saw this thread I decided to cave in and check out some youtube vids but I'm just not feeling it. Could someone give me some recommendations? I've heard Jenny (which was funnier on repeated viewings), Alby the racist dragon (much laffs), Hiphopopotamous (so these guys are really akward rappers ok haha ok.... ok you can stop now) and She's so hot... Boom, which I couldn't make head nor tail of.
My NZ heritage demands that I embrace teh funny so please help me find the gold among their slag.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 07:27:28 am »

Upon further study, I may have been wrong labeling that trio of links as "the two best."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Flight of the Conchords
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 01:37:40 pm »

Co-incidentally enough I'd already heard business time so you really did link me two new ones.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up