Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't hurt me.  (Read 7985 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 11:28:12 pm »

So basically what I am saying is win a pullitzer and you won't have to worry about length anymore.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 12:00:58 am »

Or get into a genre where people expect 900 pages. Will your novel have any of the following on the cover: dragon, guy with sword, woman in chest plate, man in robe with staff?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 12:08:13 am »

My understanding of the matter is that anywhere between about 60,000 and 100,000 words is a reasonable novel length; anything deeper is pushing into uncomfortable places, as I've been told. Then again, this may well have been for genre fiction.

Yeah, that is for 'genre'. Those snooty literary novelists - and Cort's books with the guy in a robe riding a dragon on the cover - they're allowed to kill more trees.

Anyway, I think for LFM fiction, keeping it under 150,000 is a more achievable goal.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 12:12:43 am »

Nah. There are definitely no dragons, guys with swords or women in chest plates in this story. If I really wanted to stretch things, one of the characters could be in a bathrobe with a mop but he's not exactly wizardly.

Genre-wise it would be probably considered half character-driven-sci-fi and half history-junkie historical fiction. Sorta "Slaughterhouse-5" meets "The Plot Against America" with a little bit of "Heart of Darkness" thrown in there for good measure. I ain't got a story about wizards or elves in me, I'm pretty sure of this. I am firmly on the sci-fi side of the sci-fi/fantasy divide.

If I had to design the cover, it would be all white except with one long unbroken thick black line creating a rough outline of the New York City skyline if New York City was ravaged by war and the only buildings left completely in tact were the Twin Towers.

And then the book's name and my name, of course.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 12:31:47 am »

So basically what I am saying is win a pullitzer and you won't have to worry about length anymore.

This also applies when picking up women.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 12:34:01 am »

"Hey baby, ever seen a Pulitzer before?"

Also, anyone who has ever won an Oscar and claims that they didn't at some point use it as a sex toy on them or on their lover is a dirty dirty liar. You'd just... have to. Have to.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 02:52:33 am »

Hell we'll be getting somewhere if we can get LFM to keep his posts under 150,000 words.

I have no literary experience but my gut says it will be however long it will be. Worst case scenario that means  you've got a lot of raw material to work with when an agent says 'It's fuck*ng terrible, turn it into a 100 page romance for the YA section and maybe we'll talk.' Write first, edit later.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 03:10:36 am »

I... I am getting the sense that y'all might consider me wordy. haha.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 03:12:10 am »

I... I am getting the sense that y'all might consider me wordy. haha.

Of course not, Captain Prolix!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 03:21:10 am »

I for one do not mind the wordiness. You've made me chuckle on multiple occasions.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 05:18:39 am »

Oh hey, I wouldn't mind the million-word posts if I could just stop myself from reading them.
I hope this is complimentary.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 01:59:03 pm »

I for one do not mind the wordiness. You've made me chuckle on multiple occasions.

QFT. (quoted for truth).
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 02:06:33 pm »

Oh hey, I wouldn't mind the million-word posts if I could just stop myself from reading them.
I hope this is complimentary.

Dude is like the anti-Ayn Rand. You can't stop reading long LFM posts even if you want to and you can't start reading Ayn Rand without the threat of violence.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 03:08:14 pm »

Dude is like the anti-Ayn Rand. You can't stop reading long LFM posts even if you want to and you can't start reading Ayn Rand without the threat of violence.
::THE NAME OF AYN HAS BEEN EVOKED::

Ayn Rand's 2 most famous novels are over 600 pages long and they were just stylized philosophy. She was the Queen of long posting, and LFM is a joker of the court.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 03:37:57 pm »

Oh, man, Ennewhy. Maybe I AM the anti-Ayn-Rand.

So much of this thing I'm working on is about the philosophy of empathy and non-violence and being all in this together and how every perspective on reality is completely different and completely valid and... how helping get each other through the collective human condition of suffering, loss and mourning together is the most important mission in a human life... I hadn't through of it that way, before, but it kinda IS the anti-Fountainhead.

Oh man. If I ever get it published, I'll need to pay someone off to call it the anti-Fountainhead so that I can put that on the back cover in the "praise" section. That'll definitely make sure that I get the reaction I'd want.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up