Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't hurt me.  (Read 7977 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 03:55:40 pm »

Oh, man, Ennewhy. Maybe I AM the anti-Ayn-Rand.

So much of this thing I'm working on is about the philosophy of empathy and non-violence and being all in this together and how every perspective on reality is completely different and completely valid and... how helping get each other through the collective human condition of suffering, loss and mourning together is the most important mission in a human life... I hadn't through of it that way, before, but it kinda IS the anti-Fountainhead.

Oh man. If I ever get it published, I'll need to pay someone off to call it the anti-Fountainhead so that I can put that on the back cover in the "praise" section. That'll definitely make sure that I get the reaction I'd want.
Uh, Im guessing youve never actually read anything shes written. She is absolutely about non-violence. She is completely about the common good through individual action. And are you seriously proposing that the mission of human life is to mourn death? Seriously? Cmon man. Your book is not the Anti-Fountainhead, stop trying to inflate yourself by evoking the name of a genuinely legendary author.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 04:09:57 pm »

Ayn Rand: She can bring home the bacon, fry it up, and write 400 pages about it.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 05:23:28 pm »

My rough estimation of the mission of human life, granted in my short 28 years on this rock and as a part of this damned human race, is to ameliorate the suffering of each others' lives... to ease each others' pain.

In the context of what I'm working on and in a lot of the things I write, mourning shows up as the type of suffering that needs to be eased, yeah, but that's just because of... my own particular demons chasin' me in my nightmares, y'know, like the Red Knight on his Fire hoss in "The giraffeer King".

Individualism as a theory is nice but in practice it causes most people to just get obsessed with themselves and with owning stuff and shoring up their own particular comforts. That is not what we are here for, in my... again... rough estimation.

It'd make more sense if I had this thing done and could just give you a copy, Ennewhy, seriously.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 05:38:33 pm »

My rough estimation of the mission of human life, granted in my short 28 years on this rock and as a part of this damned human race, is to ameliorate the suffering of each others' lives... to ease each others' pain.

In the context of what I'm working on and in a lot of the things I write, mourning shows up as the type of suffering that needs to be eased, yeah, but that's just because of... my own particular demons chasin' me in my nightmares, y'know, like the Red Knight on his Fire hoss in "The giraffeer King".

Individualism as a theory is nice but in practice it causes most people to just get obsessed with themselves and with owning stuff and shoring up their own particular comforts. That is not what we are here for, in my... again... rough estimation.

It'd make more sense if I had this thing done and could just give you a copy, Ennewhy, seriously.
what are you eating for dinner? Did it come from a food store? a restaurant? In any case, it came from a person self-interested. And as a result, society as a whole gets food.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 05:46:31 pm »

We all act out of self-interest -- it's unavoidable.  However, if we act only in our own self-interest we suffer both individually and as a species.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 05:53:33 pm »

We all act out of self-interest -- it's unavoidable.  However, if we act only in our own self-interest we suffer both individually and as a species.
WTF are you talking about?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2007, 07:03:59 pm »

Taking the short-term individual self-interest often shoots to shit the long-term collective-self-interest that could individually benefit your (and everyone's) self-interest down the road, Ennewhy.

The problem with acting out of self-interest is that it is inherently short-sighted much of the time.

Having less taxes out of my paycheck would SEEM like a good thing... but having police around has probably helped me from getting robbed at some point that I never knew about because they proactively prevented it.

Things like that.

Taking the quick self-interest often fucks everyone... yourself included... down the road.

I believe that this is what the august August is refering to.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 12:41:36 am »

WHOOOOOSH

Dude's hat just blew off into that ravine over there.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2007, 05:44:52 pm »

you are rad. welcome.

inaugural tiny can!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2007, 06:31:45 pm »

I choose to believe the man in your avatar has Scary Shiny Glasses.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2007, 07:55:49 pm »

Dammit people.  I turn my back for three days and this is what happens? 

At least in the process of scaring off one newbie you brought in another. 

And with regard to this board being the home of the Rebel Alliance, I just want to say: JOUGH SHOT FIRST. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2007, 08:53:36 pm »

Welcome to the board, Harlock Hero. If you really want to debate Ayn Rand, there's plenty going around, but you're also welcome to stay and talk about the strip or small mammals or what-have-you.

Also, who's the dude in your avatar? He looks familiar, but it's bugging the hell out of me.
Logged

Harlock Hero

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 15
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2007, 09:32:58 pm »

Also, who's the dude in your avatar? He looks familiar, but it's bugging the hell out of me.

It's a little self-portrait I did of myself one night back when I was working security. I had been doodling and it got all foggy outside, making the windows pretty reflective, so one thing led to another.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2007, 09:49:19 pm »

Reminds me of the Greatest American Hero. 

That's a compliment, BTW. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Don't hurt me.
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2007, 01:32:34 am »

Back to littlefallsmets's book: Times New Roman 12 is the standard font setting for manuscripts, I heard, but make the lines double-spaced (not only it makes reading easier for the editor, it boosts your ego when you see your manuscript suddenly doubling in length. And that's not cheating: It actually brings your manuscript to a more accurate reflection of how many pages the thing's gonna have once it's published). Of course this is always a fluctuating estimative, but, say, a 250 pages long manuscript in T N Roman 12 with double spaced lines would yield a book of roughly that same length.

Pardon me if this information isn't new to you; I figured I should try to sneak as many useful information I could (like, do not justify your margins, editors don't seem to roll that way either).
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up