Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxies  (Read 4937 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Super Mario Galaxies
« on: November 16, 2007, 03:18:51 pm »

Buy it. 

If you don't have a Wii, get one of those first.  Then buy this game.  It's just that good. 

Nintendo seems to be moving towards games that encourage interaction between people of different skill levels playing together, and SMG is no exception.  Imagine Super Mario 64.  Now imagine that each room in the castle is a galaxy of planets to explore.  Now imagine that, instead of playing lives and levels, your gaming companion can pick up an extra controller and pick up bonuses, stun enemies, and -- if you get the timing right -- help you do a "special co-star super jump."  That's basically Super Mario Galaxies. 

It's truer to SM64 than some of the more recent games, like the Paper Mario series or Super Mario Sunshine.  It's a straightforward search-destroy-collect game, with the odd minigame (think race and puzzle special levels) thrown in for good measure.  There are some puzzles to solve, some bosses to defeat, and worlds to unlock.  Nothing groundbreaking.  But it's fun.  And it makes really good use of the Wii controller (P1 needs the nunchuck but P2 doesn't), especially for P2. 

It's possible to play alone, but it's more difficult and less fun.  I'd be happy to play P2 the whole way, but Pedro insists we swap out on level changes so I've had a fair amount of gameplay on both sides.  If you've never played a Mario game, this would be difficult, but still fun.  (If you've never played SM64, you can download it from the Wii Console for about $10.  Well worth it.)  And if you're an old-school Mario fan with a SO who gets annoyed that you're always playing video games without him/her, this is the perfect solution.  P2 requires very little skill but a high level of involvement. 

Much fun for two. Four thumbs up. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 03:46:56 pm »

This is the first game since Paper Mario that pulled me away from the Virtual Console. It really is amazing. I'm a huge platformer fan, but have never really gotten into a 3d platformer since Mario 64 (I don't count New Super Mario Bros. since it has a fixed camera). Mario Sunshine was indeed a let down but Nintendo has once again proven themselves to be the Kings of Fun®.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 04:26:04 pm »

Oh man, I want it.  I've been spending so much $$ lately though.  I suppose it's never going to go down in price though.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 04:45:35 pm »

That is one thing I hate about Nintendo - they never lower the prices on their AAA first-party titles. I'm sure if you walked into an EB right now a new copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee would be at least $40.

Speaking of titles I want so bad I can taste them - the new Smash Bros. looks fuck*ng amazing. Online play? Level editor? Betting virtual coins on online matches? fuck*ng Sonic, Snake, Zero Suit Samus as playable characters???

OK, I need to stop now. I really wish I could forget this game existed until February.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 05:17:08 pm »

I should note that if you can get to a Toys R Us this week, they are giving away $25 gift cards with the purchase of Super Mario Galaxies. So assuming you can use or sell the gift card, you can essentially get the game for $25.  One per customer. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 05:28:30 pm »

this game is awesome, and it makes me wish I had a Wii of my very own. I can play it on my roommate's, but...
I want to play it with my brother, man. he is like the mario master, and it would be such good bonding and stuff.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 06:05:23 pm »

Oh man I want to play Super Mario Galaxy so bad. I even have a Wii and cash!

I just don't have a T.V.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 06:16:22 pm »

[now can I wait 'till christmas!?!]

No.  You can't. 

What, you've never heard of the annual tradition of buying yourself a video game as a Thanksgiving present? 

Because you *know* your wife is going to leave you home when she goes shopping on Black Friday.  And you've got to have something to do besides watch football all day, right?  For...for the children. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 10:04:53 pm »

Man, last night I was at this party with this game on, it looked amazing.  Like Mario64 on mushrooms.

I have a wii, but besides renting paper mario I never really liked it (well virtual console, but come on, I've been playing roms for years).  I had multiple people try to buy my wii yesterday to be able to play this game.  20 page paper monday, 5 page paper tuesday, then mushrooms and mario galaxy over thanksgiving break.  Oh hell yes.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 10:15:16 pm »

I am playing it right now. so awesome. so awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:38:15 pm »

I just moved from my family's house (where there was a 46 inch HDTV that I could use to play my Wii and 360) to my own apartment (where I do not own any sort of TV). But I do have the game! I just have nothing to play it on until I drop the 9 benjamins on Amazon so I can get my cheap ass a 32 inch HDTV.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 06:35:57 am »

Like Mario64 on mushrooms.

That's a cann'n
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 02:25:01 am »

I got it.  Unfortunately, will not get to play it until tuesday, earliest.


I don't want to look back at the thread, but thanks to whoever mentioned the Toys R Us thing.  My mom is the director of a pre-school and will split it with me next time I see her.  She will then get to spend it and get money back from her work.  Sweet.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 02:26:45 am »

um, yeah, I am buying Mass Effect when I get home on tuesday, speaking of awesome videogames.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Super Mario Galaxies
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 04:07:39 pm »

update: not so much to say so far, other than that Mass Effect is kind of like playing a pretty good Sci-Fi movie.
but with kind of annoying controls and menus.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up