So was it just random pissed off yelling or did he make any salient points in support of his position?
His argument points:
1. You have already done a lot of fun stuff in your life. (actual quote)
2. You need to stop dreaming so big. (actual quote)
3. You need to settle down and save some money. You need to fully pay off your $21k car and your $35k student loans before you assume any more debt. (actual quote)
4. You should settle down and get married. If you did that, I'm sure that you and your husband would have a combined income of 100,000 and that's more than enough for anybody. (actual quote)
He didn't buy my side of it, which is that my lifetime earning potential will be much larger if I were to go to grad school. I'll be better eqiupped to pay off my $56,000 in debts (plus however much I have to borrow for grad school) with a Master's degree than at my my current job. I also think that having my PMP designation and getting an MBA in a foreign country would make me really marketable.
However, my dad thinks that
people men who are successful in business are Naturally Born That Way (and he has an unspoken, highly-buried and unquestioned misogynistic worldview that says women aren't good at math or business). Yet I have a degree in architecture and I do cartography as my day to day job. I think I might be able to develop the entrepreneurial spirit if I had some business education and work for myself someday.
I think that it really, really stuck in his craw that I made as much money per year in Alaska as he did.
Jealousy, perhaps?
I think you're right, Mr. Haus. I also think that it's a total douchebag Hunt's move to take out one's own insecurities on one's own daughter.