Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Emigrating  (Read 14184 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2007, 01:12:57 am »

Oh, your dad's just being a worrisome douche, then.

Frankly, my folks... well, my mom, just my mom, my dad's happy as long as I'm happy... have more of a point.

I AM just head above water financially.

I'M WRITING A NOVEL, fer God's friggin'. She has a lot more rational reasons to worry about me than your pop does for you, L-Money.

I have many lottery tickets, however, this is basically my arguement against her, now.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2007, 01:14:34 am »


4. You should settle down and get married.

Is this supposed to be a piece of rational advice?  Like this is something you can just decide to do? Like ordering a husband from a catalog?

I have never understood parents who think they can tell their grown children what to do with their lives or why any of those children do anything but nod politely, thank them for their concern, and change the subject. But in any case, anyone who tells you you should just settle down and get married... obviously nothing else they say can be taken seriously, no matter how they're related to you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2007, 01:27:52 am »

Bizarrely, I actually had the reverse conversation with my father about two weeks ago: "(V), you're 24 now. I was 24 when I moved up to Alaska, and your mother was 25... maybe you ought to do something like that. Just go on an adventure."

Today, we talked about the fact that I'm thinking of applying for a job in LA, and he's ambivalent about it, but he still thinks I ought to do something adventurous. I'm less certain.

Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2007, 03:01:10 am »

Some say that religion is the last refuge of scondrels.

Others say that patriotism is the last refuge of scondrels.

But I proffer up that Los Angeles is the actual last refuge of scondrels.

...joooooooiiiiiiin us.... jooooooooin us....
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2007, 05:42:25 am »

Is this supposed to be a piece of rational advice?  Like this is something you can just decide to do? Like ordering a husband from a catalog?

I have never understood parents who think they can tell their grown children what to do with their lives or why any of those children do anything but nod politely, thank them for their concern, and change the subject. But in any case, anyone who tells you you should just settle down and get married... obviously nothing else they say can be taken seriously, no matter how they're related to you.

Basically, the douche was telling me to forget project management and an MBA, and just go for the MRS degree instead. WTF, asshole? It's the 21st century, for Christ's sake!
Logged

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2007, 04:10:26 pm »

And I second that our dad is very misogynistic.  I think he truly believes that women are inferior to men.  It seems entirely possible that he's jealous of Somebody nice's drive & ambition (I think he has the same drive, but he has been choosing "the safe choice" for a long time now). 

Basically, he thinks women ought to just get married and do all the housework for the Man of the House.  Everything is subserviant to the man.  He does not think they deserve to earn as much as men for the same work.  I'm sure he thinks that women working are the beginning of the Downfall of Society.

Sometimes I want to punch him in the face.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2007, 05:58:22 pm »

What truly doesn't make sense to me is - why would you want your daughter's life to be totally dependent on the good will of some strange man?  It's much better and safer if she can provide for herself.

Also: V - go to LA!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2007, 08:27:52 pm »

Wants some damn grandkids, I say.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2007, 08:28:33 pm »

Quote
I'm sure he thinks that women working are the beginning of the Downfall of Society.

I mean, true. We were doin' just fine without y'all.

you know... back when there weren't women.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2007, 05:46:19 am »

I second the motion of V going to LA.

I mean, since we are making all of your big decisions for you now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2007, 05:56:51 am »

Well, hell, why not? It's not like the board can do a worse job to date than I have.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2007, 02:00:06 am »

The SoCal pod will arrive in your mailbox shortly.   Soon you will be doing yoga and driving to places you used to walk to.  Then you will have to move out here.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2007, 02:09:51 am »

No no no, those are no longer valid Los Angeles cliches.

Do so much cocaine that you no longer know how to drive in even a drizzle THEN you're ready.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2007, 02:14:36 am »

That's good, because I've recently started doing yoga and I have no desire to move to Southern California.  Not that there's anything wrong with Southern Cal.  I just like it here.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Emigrating
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2007, 02:28:50 am »

Not that there's anything wrong with Southern Cal.  I just like it here.

I'm glad you said that.  Our So Cal contingent is a touchy bunch.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up