Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Chicken Day, Americans!  (Read 3492 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Chicken Day, Americans!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 11:15:14 pm »

I've never done a turkey but I have smoked ducks in my grill for several thanksgivings.

The best part to me is what using the grill and good wood chips does to the skin. Awesome color and flavor, really crisp.

Ducks are challenging because they drop a lot of oil, you have to keep the pan under them functional to catch the drips or it's just a conflagration.

Aug, how do you keep coals going for 4 hours? I always found it difficult to get a chimney started and add it quickly with minimal disturbance to the food.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 06:11:50 am by AlohaDawg »
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Chicken Day, Americans!
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 02:05:14 am »

I start with a pretty big fire, then add more coals before it completely burns out.  Also, I start a chimney-full off the grill (just sitting on the ground works fine) and use them to supplement.  But just adding to the existing fire usually works fine for me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up