Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Buy Nothing Day  (Read 3582 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Buy Nothing Day
« on: November 23, 2007, 04:48:53 am »

Huh.  I'll be spending a good portion of Buy Nothing Day marketing programs for the theatre I work for. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 05:04:36 am »

I'll probably really buy nothing. But I won't feel any self-satisfaction over it.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 05:12:18 am »

I will be participating in Buy Nothing Day through necessity, as I have been working for 8 weeks and have only received $708.65 in compensation. I will receive my first full paycheck on the 30th.

Also, I question the timing of BND. Black Friday is the day that all the retailers get "back in the black" because it's such a high sales volume day. Choosing not to shop on that day will just make you miss out on heinous crowds and good sales. It's not going to put a dent in their wallets.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 07:14:49 am »

I buy nothing on the majority of days. 


Unless I go to a local bar restaurant which I don't think this is trying to stop, but I probably will not do this tomorrow anyhow.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 08:29:33 am »

Quote
only received $708.65

Man. 700$. I know that is not enough money in the Real World, especially when you are owed more, but that is quite a number.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 03:17:04 pm »

Man. 700$. I know that is not enough money in the Real World, especially when you are owed more, but that is quite a number.

That was the take-home amount and that was only for a few days' wages. Their payroll ends up being weeks behind, which I guess will be nice for if I leave. I can't wait to get back in the black.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 03:55:39 pm »

Uh oh, I just bought a chai at Starbucks. Does that count?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 05:04:07 pm »

I'm with Linnea -- I hate to pass up the incredibly good deals this weekend, but I simply don't have the cash until Pedro gets paid next week.  Pedro's parents, brothers and sisters exchanged Christmas gifts yesterday because we'll be apart for actual Christmas, and I'm one of those early shoppers anyway, so I've already spent most of our Christmas budget.  Normally I would just take a credit card and plan to pay it off in January, but we just got into a debt management program so all our credit cards are under voluntary freeze at the moment.  But it kills me to see stuff I'm going to buy anyway on sale for half of what I'll probably end up paying for it. 

Usually I use Black Friday to finish up the last few items on my list and then I'm done shopping for the year.  Not going to be so lucky this year.  Although I do have my in-laws done, and my nephew, Mom, and best friends' families.  My 2 single friends get charity gifts, I've got to pick up a few more items to add to my cousin's son's package, and then I have my SIL (who is easy), Dad (who is hard), and brother (who is impossible).  So it's not too bad -- I've only got a few things to do once we get money back in the bank. 

I disagree with the whole activist purpose behind buy-nothing day because I think that it's neither effective (most people will buy the following day or the following weekend) nor fair (by punishing retail establishments, and I'm thinking here of Mom-and-Pop stores like the local toy store as well as major retailers like Target and Wal-Mart).  De-consumerizing Christmas is one thing; de-consumerizing the biggest shopping day of the year is...well, just silly. 

Also, I can't resist a bargain. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 08:19:11 pm »

Yeah, what Mom said. Also, is there a link to this 'buy nothing day'? Who's behind it?

I'm thinking dirty hippies.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 08:39:14 pm »

Yeah, what Mom said. Also, is there a link to this 'buy nothing day'? Who's behind it?

I'm thinking dirty hippies.

Aw jeez! Attack ad hominem!

From Wikipedia:
Buy Nothing Day is an informal day of protest against consumerism observed by social activists. In 2007, Buy Nothing Day falls on November 23rd in North America and November 24th internationally.[1] It was founded by Vancouver artist Ted Dave and subsequently promoted by the Canadian Adbusters magazine.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 09:20:56 pm »


Buy Nothing Day is an informal day of protest against consumerism observed by social activists. In 2007, Buy Nothing Day falls on November 23rd in North America and November 24th internationally.[1] It was founded by Vancouver artist Ted Dave and subsequently promoted by the Canadian Adbusters magazine.

Yup. Dirty hippies.

Some of my best friends are dirty hippies, mind you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 10:09:20 pm »

Quote
Between the nanny state and the social hugger-muggers I feel a need for a fenced enclosure, 5 gallons of gas and a Zippo, dig.

Death Camps for Hippies, awesome. Death Camp imagery is always awesome to bring up.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 10:31:14 pm »

Death Camps for Hippies, awesome. Death Camp imagery is always awesome to bring up.

I thought that Death Camps for Hippies sounded like a punk band name, but then I realized that it's just because it sounds a lot like Death Cab for Cutie. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 10:39:26 pm »

but... Death Cab for Cutie are like the opposite of a punk band.

My favorite is probably "John Cougar Concentration Camp."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Buy Nothing Day
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 11:04:06 pm »

so... kind of the opposite of a death camp, then. kind of like a camp where they don't kill you.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up