Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wish list  (Read 6666 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Wish list
« on: November 23, 2007, 06:44:40 am »

I'd like to post a crazy wish list thread, since it is the holidays and all. Just post some of the shit that you want, the more ridiculous the better. Nobody is going to buy me stuff off this list, but it's fun to dream. I'll go first.

  • Printmaking press and studio. I have been thinking a lot lately about my creativity and that I would love to create art again, after all my creative drive was hammered out of me as a bitter grad student.
  • Travel. I'd love to travel around the world, but I especially want to see Fiji, all of Alaska, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and Europe.
  • A Wii and PS3 with a flat screen television
  • A huge kittytree for my cats to climb and scratch.
  • New computer and flatscreen LCD monitor, or maybe a laptop with a home docking station.
  • a Tempur-Pedic bed or mattress topper, also new Tempur-Pedic pillows since mine are about 5 years old and are probably 90% detritus at this point.
  • A retardedly expensive handbag that they don't make anymore. The Mandy courier bag by Coach. We all know that Cort finds these handbags grossly overpriced and ugly. Obviously, there are other handbags out there that retail for more than $798, but damn. I can't justify spending that kind of scratch on luggage, even if it were a piece that I used every single day. I would also like more clothes.
  • A hybrid Lexus with AWD in pearl white. I particularly like the RX model. Barring that, I would like tinted glass, remote start, and a navigation system for my current vehicle. I only have to drive about 20 miles a day, but it would be really nice to live in the heart of the city where I wouldn't need a car.
  • Cashmere sweater. I only have one and I would love to have more. They are so soft and lightweight, but look so damn nice.
  • Earrings with 18-24k gold posts, since I can't wear any gold alloys below that due to Bad Problems with allergies. Silver? Fuhgeddaboutit!
  • L'Occitane hand cream
  • Some new shoes and boots. I currently have 2 pairs of shoes, 1 pair of sandals, and 1 pair of hiking boots, and it would be nice to have more.
  • Serge Lutens perfume (In order of wantitude: La Myrrhe, Fumerie Turque, Bornéo 1834, Daim Blond, Chêne, Gris Clair, Chergui, Ambre Sultan)
  • Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle (beurre exquis and also eaux de parfums in Iris Poudre, Carnal Flower, Musc Ravageur, L'eau d'Hiver, and Lys Méditerranée)
  • A nonmetal watch that I can actually wear without getting The Rash. Maybe I wouldn't be allergic to platinum, titanium, or high-karat gold. Then again, I also cannot imagine wearing a $20,000 watch.
  • House or condo of my very own.
  • New dental implant + crown for my pathetic existing crown/root canal on #8, Lasik, laser skin resurfacing, and rhinoplasty, even though it pisses Kelli off to no end when I say that I want to get plastic surgery done.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 06:46:03 am »

I want a job on the mainland that will reunite me with my wife and kids as soon after the first week of January as possible.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 07:12:54 am »

I would just buy some crazy computer stuff.

Mac Pro with 4-500 GB Harddrives, 4 gb ram, tv tuner
32ish inch panel tv, that would be the monitor
Nicer receiver
4 usb video game controllers
A couple months of netflix (so I could get all episodes of simpons, seinfeld, curb your enthusiasm, arrested development, trailer park boys and a lot of movies, including big lebowski, every dylan biography and all woody allen films and put them on those harddrives)
2-500 gb external harddrives (I like to back up my files well, only two of these will actually have novel material)

for the most amazing entertainment center ever.


250-gb laptop harddrive
Couple Wii games and remotes
Fender american made p-bass
cheap electric guitar/amp
cheap acoustic
keyboard
possibly better version of current bass amp

That is all I could ever want at this time

Oh a real nice bubbler?
Maybe OiNK back?


Edit:

Case of Bombay Sapphire.
Case of Knob Creek.
Case of Jameson.
A lot of Tonic and Ginger Ale.  (that shit gets expensive, for real)
Carton of Pall Malls
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 07:23:49 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wish list
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 08:49:56 am »

Um.

Basically a bunch of guitars. And drums. maybe a sax, and books about how to play the sax. But at this point in my life I wouldn't have anywhere to put that stuff.
A lot of good records, preferably both on CD and LP. But... the fun part is looking for them and buying them.
DVDs of movies which I like.
To be honest, a wattage upgrade for the radio station I work at would rule. but we have found out that due to FCC regulations it is never going to happen (our signal would interfere with other stations.)
A good light coat.
some more sweaters like this one I used to have, I don't know how to describe it, but now it's all beaten to hell and the sleeves are too short.
maybe some sort of non-dorky looking goggles, because when it's below 50 my eyes stop watering and don't stop until March when it is warm again.
heavy guitar picks (I should pick these up tomorrow)
some new glasses. I know what the ones I want look like, but I don't know who makes them. They are kind of 50's style, like the thick-plastic-frame ones that are popular, but slightly bigger. my friend Karl has some really great ones that he bought from a store in Boston that has vintage/out-of-production frames.
a turntable, amp, and speakers for my dorm room. I found a cheap turntable online with a built-in amp... but I am worried it will ruin my records with its cheapitude.
a copy of "Crazy Rhythms" by The Feelies in any format. I have mp3s, but it's not the same. It is out of print, and has been since the 80's I think. I guess I could get it from ebay, but that is not fun, see above.

While we're on impossible things, I guess to see The Replacements, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Ramones, Minor Threat, The Cure, Pixies, Fugazi, My Bloody Valentine, Nirvana... any of my favorite bands in concert, and alive/still together.
Also, see really influential/amazing movies without having the ending or important plot points ruined. Also, without having seen the movies influenced by them. "Whoa! Soilent green... is people!" This would be great for music, too. I want to be blown away by Elvis' hips or Charlie Parker playing a 13th chord.

It would be best if I could get a Second Date. But I think that I have a good chance of this? Or else, no chance. Last time, circumstances intervened and she had to cancel. But I am not sure if this was actually a subtle message.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 03:32:20 pm »

A four-bedroom mid-century ranch house in a quiet neighborhood within five miles of Pedro's office building.  Paid in full.  (Such things do exist, but there are none for sale at the moment and we can't afford it anyway.) 

I don't even care if it's a piece of crap.  If it were paid for, we could afford to renovate it ourselves.  Actually, I think I'd rather prefer that. 

Alternatively, if someone could pay off my credit cards, student loans, and car payment, that would be great. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »

I want to stop having so many migraines, and figure out what I am going to do when I grow up. Hmm, now that I put it that way, I wonder if the two are related.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 04:19:14 pm »

Wait, let me be more specific:

I wish that the new drug I am about to start taking will stop my migraines and cause no side effects like the last one did. And I wish that one of the three editors who is looking at my book right now will be crazy about it and buy it.

There. You know, when you make those vague wishes in stories you always get into trouble, you know?

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 05:46:28 pm »

Just in case anyone's curious about my *actual* wishlist, here it is. 

Anybody else have one? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 06:16:45 pm »

Just in case anyone's curious about my *actual* wishlist, here it is. 

Anybody else have one? 

I had one, but I really hate Amazon and so I try to avoid buying shit from them.
**EDIT: The kitty spa you linked is pretty damn awesome. I'd probably buy it direct instead of through Amazon, but still. Totally sweet.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 06:20:49 pm by linnea »
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 07:27:04 pm »

I had one, but I really hate Amazon and so I try to avoid buying shit from them.
**EDIT: The kitty spa you linked is pretty damn awesome. I'd probably buy it direct instead of through Amazon, but still. Totally sweet.

JL used to hate Amazon. What happened to you, man. You changed.

What's so bad about Amazon?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 07:39:40 pm »

I got really bad customer service from them consistently over a period of several months.  Getting the wrong items, "in stock now" items taking six weeks to arrive, at one point they double-charged my credit card for no apparent reason (once at the time of order, again when it item shipped).  I swore off, but have gradually come back into the fold since they have started not being dicks about things. 

I guess the problems I had had with them, in retrospect, were growing pains on their part from being relatively new to the thing about selling more than just books.  I guess they've got that all worked out now. 

Still, thethingsIwant.com is pretty cool.  Not everything I want is available on Amazon.com (a large stash of Manos del Uruguay wool, anyone?).  I might have to reopen the old account. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 08:43:43 pm »

Ash, that's awesome that you guys don't want for much. I know it's kind of weak for me to start a blatant consumerist thread around the same time as the Buy Nothing thread, but admittedly there's a bunch of stuff I want. Not much that I really need, except savings, a better place to live and my debt paid off.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wish list
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 10:07:05 pm »

yeah, I realized in the process of making my list that... it is 90% stuff that I can buy for myself pretty easily if I just budget my money. The issue is that most of my funds go to eating out, movies, CDs and LPs. And I enjoy doing things with my friends more than I enjoy owning, say, a new coat. Other things I enjoy more than buying more CDs: buying my family Christmas presents. I am probably going to work at a summer camp this summer, and I know they pay below minimum wage because it's a contract thing where you get room and board for the whole summer... but I feel like I will have a reasonable amount of cash at the end of that, at the end of which I can buy things for myself. Or, you know, save it for the school year.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 10:34:14 pm »

Yeah, see, my actual wish list is comprised of things that I could buy for myself if I really, really wanted to.  I have been told (by my mother) that it is far too modest and I should either add more stuff or find bigger, more expensive, more frivolous stuff. 

I just feel bad asking people to get me stuff that I wouldn't buy on my own if it weren't for Christmas being right around the corner.  I mean, honestly if I weren't spending my money on stuff for other people I'd probably just go buy this stuff for myself. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wish list
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 10:38:43 pm »

oh, see. I always feel bad when my parents ask for a list of stuff I would like for X-mas, and it ends up being 20 CDs, 10 dvds, and "sweaters." I feel like that makes the whole thing really boring. And... kind of equivalent to them just giving me money.
At the same time, if I don't give them a list, I end up with a bunch of stuff I don't want or need.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up