Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wish list  (Read 6693 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 02:52:03 am »

I guess I took it literally. You don't 'wish' for things you can get.

You wish for things you would need major magical or divine intervention to get; not things you can actually get on your own, right?

There are things I'd like, but nothing I wouldn't trade for what I actually need.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 04:05:50 am »

I guess I took it literally. You don't 'wish' for things you can get.

You wish for things you would need major magical or divine intervention to get; not things you can actually get on your own, right?

There are things I'd like, but nothing I wouldn't trade for what I actually need.

Exactly.  A wish list, in my opinion, is a compendium of your wildest and most unrealistic dreams. I usually throw a few other items in there, like a $25 tube of L'Occitane hand cream. That is what my wish lists to my family always looked like... a Mercedes, a pet pony, a Ducati 748, a Sisters of Mercy CD, a new sweater.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 03:43:37 pm »

See, that's where I was going with the whole "new house, no debt" thing. 

The day I posted that message, incidentally, my best friend (unbeknownst to me) bought a house that fits my description exactly.  I knew she'd been looking, but she was looking for split-levels and ended up getting a gorgeous, recently remodeled 1975 ranch.  With a hot tub. 

I'm now dealing with a healthy serving of being happy for her tinged with a not insignificant side order of jealousy.  I realize that the recent rash of good fortune she's encountered is no reflection on my worthiness as a human being, but I can't help but wonder when I'm going to get mine.  I mean, I've worked hard, made responsible choices, etc...I have trouble accepting the fact that in the grand cosmic scheme of things, clean living really doesn't get you much besides the satisfaction of knowing that you did the right thing. 

Anyway. 

Even as a kid my wishlists to my family were always pretty reasonable.  There might be one big item that I knew I wasn't going to get -- not a baby sister or a pony or anything, usually more like a bike or a TV for my bedroom.  I actually got both those things for Christmas, I seriously underestimated my parents' willingness to spoil me.  And I knew by the time I was seven that the Big Red Guy didn't stop by my house.  Maybe he still comes to visit some of you, so I'm not going to say anything untoward, but...he wasn't a holiday special guest star in the house I grew up in. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 05:01:57 pm »

I didn't know L'Occitane hand cream was so coveted.  Last hotel I stayed at had all L'Occitane stuff at it - everything stunk to me, and the shampoo left my hair more greasy than before I washed it.  I kept the mini bottles of stuff for a while because a small bottle of product is always useful in a handbag, but I smelt it again a while ago and decided it stunk too bad and threw it out.

My wish list is sort of nonexistent.  I like to keep things simple and don't like to acquire a lot of "things."  The SO points out that I never buy myself anything, and it's true, but I don't want for anything either.  I suppose I could want a newer, better iPod, but the one I have now is just fine. 

The only thing I'd want that I can't obtain myself is perfect health.  I'd like to live a totally healthy, pain-free life and die quietly in my sleep at 85, but I've got so much shit wrong with me autoimmune wise that I doubt that 's going to go down.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 02:43:43 am »

Watch for the stuff you put on your skin (not many people do this, but shit goes through your skin--think of the chemicals we are deliberately putting in our bodies.) and never eat processed foods and you will feel amazing.

And other stuff too, exercise, not eating too much, etc.


Edit: nevermind  That still might help?  Sorry to hear about your problems.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 02:50:16 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 05:10:35 am »

Sorry to derail things.  Yeah, I take pretty good care of myself, eat really well and such, I'm hyper aware of what I eat.  I use few products since I have hypersensative skin.  Unfortunatly the latest slew of problems are related to the failure of my body to absorb nutrients, leaveing me too week and exhausted to exercise.  I'm already diagnosed with three autoimmune diseases and am currently in testing to find out if I have a fourth.  Which is, well, it sounds like bullshit.  I wouldn't believe it if I weren't experiencing it.  My body is destroying itself.  I feel like shit.  Sucks, since everything else is so good in my life.  I'm trying to be content to burn bright, even if for a short time.

I should have just said "world peace."   
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 05:13:58 am »

Watch for the stuff you put on your skin (not many people do this, but shit goes through your skin--think of the chemicals we are deliberately putting in our bodies.) and never eat processed foods and you will feel amazing.

And other stuff too, exercise, not eating too much, etc.


Edit: nevermind  That still might help?  Sorry to hear about your problems.

Also: Drugs.


Just sayin' is all.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 05:51:18 am »

I will argue to my grave that weed isn't harmful to you.

I do smoke cigarettes and drink, which are by far worse.  Other than that, maybe a some psychedelics 5-10 times a year (not really harmful at all, maybe make you feel bad when you come down that night) and coke, which I haven't done in at least six months.  So.

But really, cigarettes will kill me and after I go out drinking real hard I feel like shit for two days unless I drink more (which I usually do), but I ain't doing to bad recently.  I still support drugs, though, don't get me wrong.  Also though, I am sure I would feel a ton better if I gave up booze.  I don't even want to consider stopping smoking either cigarettes or herb.  It is basically the thing I enjoy in life.  But you know, I am sure it would make me feel better too (not good enough though).

Wish list-immediate legalization of all drugs.

Unfortunatly the latest slew of problems are related to the failure of my body to absorb nutrients, leaveing me too week and exhausted to exercise.  I'm already diagnosed with three autoimmune diseases and am currently in testing to find out if I have a fourth. 

Jesus.  Sounds horrible.


Also, not to be an ass, but there are two misspelled words in the portion of your post that I quoted but when I read it I had no idea.  If I would have written it though, I would have known.  Is that something wrong with me?  Or was I tired?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 09:36:39 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Wish list
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 09:22:15 am »

There might be one big item that I knew I wasn't going to get -- not a baby sister or a pony or anything, usually more like a bike or a TV for my bedroom.  I actually got both those things for Christmas, I seriously underestimated my parents' willingness to spoil me. 

This has happened to me several times, and it always humbles me. The last time was my junior year in college, where I asked for a Dungeons & Dragons supplement called "The World's Largest Dungeon" -- huge fuck*ng book, tons of maps, $120. There was no way in Hell I actually expected to receive it, but there it was on Christmas morning; I almost wanted to have a talk with my parents about it. ("You know that when I put this down on the list, it was meant to be like how Dad puts down a Ferrari every year, right? You weren't supposed to actually buy it. ... oh sweet Jesus, it's beautiful")
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 09:57:37 am »

Sorry to derail things.  Yeah, I take pretty good care of myself, eat really well and such, I'm hyper aware of what I eat.  I use few products since I have hypersensative skin.  Unfortunatly the latest slew of problems are related to the failure of my body to absorb nutrients, leaveing me too week and exhausted to exercise.  I'm already diagnosed with three autoimmune diseases and am currently in testing to find out if I have a fourth.  Which is, well, it sounds like bullshit.  I wouldn't believe it if I weren't experiencing it.  My body is destroying itself.  I feel like shit.  Sucks, since everything else is so good in my life.  I'm trying to be content to burn bright, even if for a short time.

I should have just said "world peace."   

My nephew has autoimmune problems, and his dad (my brother) has Crohn's so clearly it's part of the genetic code.  He (the nephew) has been getting peptide shots for the last year that seem to be helping, but I don't know enough about it to know if that's a thing that only works if you start it early.  There doesn't seem to be much they can do for my brother besides treat the symptoms. 

What I am saying here is that I can empathize, and I am familiar with that particular breed of illness, and it sucks big time.  I hope you find something that works for you and can get it under control soon. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 02:18:37 pm »

Jeez, smells, that is terrible. I also have hypersensitive skin, but I don't have any autoimmune diseases, just a lot of allergies. Getting a tattoo at a young age probably didn't help matters any, as I think I'm allergic to the ink. I hope that they can find a cure for autoimmune diseases soon.

I just thought of another item that goes on my wish list: one of those awesome percussion massagers. I hold a ton of tension right between my shoulder blades and in my trapezius muscles from being a CADD monkey all day. I am going to save up and get one soon. They are magical. I also want a Dvorak keyboard (hardwired so I don't have to fuck around with my damn Windows settings), because I hear they reduce repetitive stress, and maybe that would be better for my upper back.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wish list
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 10:01:19 pm »

Quote
This has happened to me several times, and it always humbles me. The last time was my junior year in college, where I asked for a Dungeons & Dragons supplement called "The World's Largest Dungeon" -- huge fuck*ng book, tons of maps, $120. There was no way in Hell I actually expected to receive it, but there it was on Christmas morning; I almost wanted to have a talk with my parents about it. ("You know that when I put this down on the list, it was meant to be like how Dad puts down a Ferrari every year, right? You weren't supposed to actually buy it. ... oh sweet Jesus, it's beautiful")

This is like my Christmas Fear. Which is why my list, when I am asked for one, never has anything too expensive on it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 10:15:29 pm »

My SO has a sister who is insane. So her, her partner, the SO, and I all have to get the exact same number of presents or she freaks out. Which makes it really annoying when you only want one fairly expensive thing because the SO's mom will go ahead and buy it for you anyway, along with 2/3rds of your Amazon wish list just to make sure that everybody has the same number of presents.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wish list
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2007, 10:36:40 pm »

I... okay... I do my best to be a Sensitive New-Age Guy and stuff here but I gotta say.

I'm still taken aback when an attractive lady admits to having played a D&D-type game.

I guess the one kind of sexism I still have in me is nerd-sexism.

A little place in the back of my mind saying:

"No, no, a good looking girl would never do something like that, they could go and hang around with friends and have pillow fights and stuff, why would they choose to argue over +3 Hats of Vitality (or whatever) with morbidly obese guys in dragon tee-shirts?"

Christ, *I* was a pudgy dude who read comics and everything and the D&D guys still scared me.

I am sorry for this residual bias, Vee. You are an awesome lady and I apologize for any offense.

But... yeah... for a second, my mind was still blown.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Wish list
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007, 10:43:21 pm »

My mom buys me whatever I want.  It is okay, but the problem is lots of times I just said I wanted it to not offend her and then I have a bunch of shit I don't use but feel bad about selling or giving away.  This year, as my wish list might indicate, I am going straight computer.  External harddrive, 2gb ram, internal harddrive, rom controllers.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up