For our birthday, our younger sister got us (my twin sister and me) a copy of
Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited. In decades past, it was considered quite appropriate for adoption agencies to split up twins and place them with separate families, while never telling either family that their new baby had a surviving twin. They did this under the guise of being "best for the children", but in reality they did everything so they could do a secret psychological study on the children. This was back during the whole nature/nurture debate. Talk about UNETHICAL! But back then, it wasn't illegal.
I actually found the twins' narrative quite irritating, although the book as a whole is a great read. The two identical twins that were portrayed in the book...wow, they were far too honest with all the catty feelings and irritation with each other. One of them, who has huge abandonment issues, was constantly telling the other one that she wanted her old life back, the life she had before she was contacted by the adoption agency and told that she was a twin. That really stung, because the other twin wanted desperately to connect with her twin. It really upset me. However, by the end of the book the "whine, I want my OLD life back" twin lets her twin sister hang out with her and her husband and daughters, so I guess they learned how to work through their intimacy issues.
As a twin with a very strong bond, it was irritating to read. My sister and I have certainly had our share of difficulties, so I was irritated that these two were being so careless with each other's feelings and being so pissy with each other. To be fair, however, I'm sure that growing up together gave us an unfair advantage over the separated twins. They had grown up their whole lives thinking they're singletons, and they didn't have any of the twin coping skills when they finally did meet. It was a crazy read, that's for sure.
Anybody else read it? I
highly recommend it for anyone who's interested in the twin experience think it's an interesting read for people who don't know much about twins, since they throw in a few factoids about twinning here and there. Nothing earth-shattering, just mostly stuff that could have been written in Comic Sans and culled from a Twins Club Newsletter. It's a very special-case book, since there aren't many twins who were separated at birth anyway. My sister and I should write a book about the twin experience, since this is more about two singletons who realize that they're separated twins, and is not very indicative of the Twin Experience.