Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch  (Read 5025 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« on: November 27, 2007, 02:40:47 am »

This is pretty flippin' sweet.

Enormous By Ray Smuckles.
1978 Volvo 244GLE Of Despair.
Blogs, Vol. 1.
Current Baby Status collection (we lucked out since Paul already compiled these for us, but it would round out my book collection quite nicely).
Six Volume 'Zine Set
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 04:00:39 am »

Damn, I wish I'd seen this before I spent money on food.

As it is, I had to buy the blog book anyway.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:22:02 am »

On the one hand, this is cool if you are some kind of completist?

But all at once, the blogs AND the baby-update and the other more usual items put up for sale, it... it adds up to a weird kind of desperation. You know? Have sales been tapering off and a boost of money was needed that could only be fulfilled by throwing the kitchen sink at the completists? The blogs even, I get, they're a part of the greater universe of storytelling but...

I have to imagine NoCal is going through the same kind of real-estate burst, yes?

There's something a little off about publishing the baby update book and selling it.

Like, as a weird bonus to something else? Totally makes sense.

I don't know. It's just SUCH a tossed-off idea to later decide to monetize. I dunno.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

DanSC

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 79
    • View Profile
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 08:36:23 am »

so in the baby status book page, he writes: From March 2005 through November 2007, I chronicled my experiences as a new father on a near-daily basis.

does that mean no more status updates?
Logged
"If you can't have fun playin' with a toy truck, then it's time to reevaluate your life."

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 01:07:41 pm »

so in the baby status book page, he writes: From March 2005 through November 2007, I chronicled my experiences as a new father on a near-daily basis.

does that mean no more status updates?

Nah, I think that he used "chronicled" past tense to describe his newness to fatherhood. Also he no longer does them on a near-daily basis.
Logged

theauthors

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 01:09:29 pm »

does this mean no more new updates??

Quote from: Onstad
That's it for the kid status.

source: front page

---
lfm,

Quote
But all at once, the blogs AND the baby-update and the other more usual items put up for sale, it... it adds up to a weird kind of desperation. You know? Have sales been tapering off and a boost of money was needed that could only be fulfilled by throwing the kitchen sink at the completists? The blogs even, I get, they're a part of the greater universe of storytelling but...
ah, what a weird inference. you dont imagine it has anything to do with christmas and new year holidays coming up? which are probably best, sales-wise, in a year. its even called a 'holiday sale'

Quote
I don't know. It's just SUCH a tossed-off idea to later decide to monetize. I dunno.
Quote from: Onstad
By popular demand
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:20:59 pm by theauthors »
Logged
"I thought about the Big Bang and thought whether it was really a big bang, or did it just sound louder since there was no other noise to drown it out?"

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 01:18:46 pm »

does this mean no more new updates??

source: front page

Looks like you're right, hoss.



Current kid status, 11/27
Today, she departs bittersweet. She waves to you, in her trendy clog shoes with the aftermarket Tinkerbell pin. She wears her Alice in Wonderland costume, but then chooses to be naked while scrubbing the popsicle mold in the kitchen sink. She asks for a piece of chocolate as big as herself, pretends her bed is a big red airplane, and wisely says that if we fill the bathtub up more deeply tomorrow, we might get a whirlpool when it drains.

That's it for the kid status. The hundreds of collected updates are now available here.

Yes, it's nostalgic for me too.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 01:25:47 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 02:04:51 pm »

He often puts out a new book for Christmas. That's not desperation that's just good business sense. Since he's apparently holding off on the next collection of strips I see no problem with putting out other books.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 07:30:59 pm »

Putting out some new shirts or stuff like that for Jesus Day, I totally get for that...

It was just weird that... like... basically, the last two parts of the site that could possibly be monetized into paper books for sale became... sale-items at the same time.

Seemed kitchen sinky, not an organic development in fan-service.

It just... I dunno. Seemed pretty odd and pretty all-at-once.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 08:11:55 pm »

Yeah, it's Christmas. He'd have to be an idiot not to come out with new stuff.

What is up with not including all the blogs, though? I am not impressed by his reasoning for only doing that limited time period.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 11:49:28 pm »

Quote
The blogs as a book have been thrown out as an idea for a while, as mentioned in interviews prior. The infant/baby/toddler updates? Hey, most of the internet doesn't drop in here to read that thread so it's a nice $6 offering.

I am really interested in the whole idea of people other than myself who are willing to pay for something they can get for free on the internet. People are aghast when I say that I buy CDs that I already have on my computer. I am especially interested in the idea that it varies depending on the content-- buying the Achewood Books somehow makes more sense to most people than buying a CD I have already downloaded-- and yet, the downloading of music is illegal, while reading the comics online is not. Hmm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 12:33:04 am »

You can't realistically read Achewood.com on the can. And that makes all the difference.
Logged

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 10:43:48 am »

You can't realistically read Achewood.com on the can. And that makes all the difference.

You can totally read Achewood.com on the toilet if you have a laptop. Not... not that I have done this myself.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Oh crap, oh goodness...new holiday merch
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 01:49:47 pm »

You can totally read Achewood.com on the toilet if you have a laptop. Not... not that I have done this myself.

It's that all hot on your legs and awkward? Maybe if you had one of those Asus Eee computers. Those look pretty tiny and badass.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up