Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WTF Canadians?  (Read 7993 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
WTF Canadians?
« on: November 28, 2007, 11:32:38 pm »

http://deadspin.com/sports/yahhhhhhh/canadian-psas-are-clearly-not-messing-around-327432.php


This is, as you will read, a Canadian PSA.  It is completely fucked.  Seriously.   
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 11:40:47 pm »

Ooh my god. That was seriously disturbing.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 11:43:49 pm »

The other thing is what is it even for?  Keeping kitchens clean?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 11:56:58 pm »

The other thing is what is it even for?  Keeping kitchens clean?
Dont pour boiling oil all over your face, dude. I think I have that one covered, but damn, maybe next will be a commercial about not throwing a toaster into the bathtub.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 11:59:20 pm »

Woh.
Canadians are really not fuck*ng around eh?

Smells, some insight?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 12:20:13 am »

I am afraid to watch it. I am not tough enough to be a Canadian, apparently.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 12:37:53 am »

Canadians don't play with the warnings, dude. Canadians are a very well warned society.

America: "Smoking while pregnant has a fairly decent chance of maybe increasing the potential of possible birth defects if done consistently and often during pregnancy. Maybe."

Canada: "Smoking is gonna fuck up that kid ya got in there."
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 12:48:22 am »

Saw that on Deadspin too.  If that was on TV when my kids where in the room, I'd be pissed.  I hope it only runs late at night.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 12:50:46 am »

This is why Canadians are better suited for hockey than Americans. They can handle fuck*ng horrific violence.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 12:57:58 am »

Huh.  I've never seen this ad, but it's definitely for a workman's compensation board - they're each run provincially.  I can't tell which province it's for.  It's highly similar to the ones aired here in Manitoba.  The ones here all include actors I know pretending to be people getting hurt at work.  One guy I know plays a guy in a shop who cuts his thumb off with a saw (the saw going into his thumb is shown, followed by him screaming) another of a guy I know is a guy getting crushed by boxes that get knocked over by a forklift (more screaming).  Another is  a three part sequel to the box -rushing about a guy on his first day, hired after the last guy (aka my buddy under the boxes) got killed on the job.  The slogan is "Safe work is everyone's responsibility - work shouldn't hurt."  The ads are all pushing the idea that workplace injuries are preventable.  All the workman's comp ads are hella in your face - shock value-ish, and they're all pretty hardcore about pointing out how the employer and employee are at fault.  The latest ones locally are using 4-5 year old kids in dangerous adult jobs to (I guess) inform the viewer that untrained workers are like little kids - the slogan is "safe workers aren't born - they're trained."

I take it you don't have who ever pays out your workman's compensation airing PSA's like this in the US then?

Have you folks seen Canadian cigarette packs?   They have photos of actual rotting lungs, diseased hearts, and everyone's favorite - the rotting mouth, etc. on them, taking up 50% of the packs.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 02:49:28 am »

Holy SHIT, dude. That was seriously insane. I cringed because I did the exact same falling-on-my-ass in a snowbank the other day. Thank god I didn't have a huge pot of boiling oil. fuck*ng scary!!!

Also, whomever did the burn moulage did a pretty good job, but it wasn't as realistic as it could have been. . Her makeup looks remarkably like one of the burns that I saw as a medic.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 02:59:52 am »

While our workplace PSA's might not be as good as yours I think Aussie cigarrette warnings (that's two separate links there folks, click 'em both for full goodness) are holding their own.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 03:23:05 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 03:13:50 am »

Interesting - I think the lung cancer and brain with gush-o blood due to stroke are the same for our packs and the Aussie ones. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 03:16:18 am »

Why would she be moving the pot off of the stove.  That makes no sense.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 03:45:34 am »

Hmmm.  Reminds me of this.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up