Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WTF Canadians?  (Read 7999 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 03:46:51 am »

Ughhhh. It's as if those cigarette image folks have deliberately chosen their images to squick out as many people as possible. A particularly grody one doesn't skeeve you out and give you the heebie-jeebies? Rest assured, friend, there's bound to be one that does.

I didn't even click on your link, AW.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 03:59:03 am »

Mine is far more comically over the top.  Plus, it's German (and who's funnier than the Germans?)
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 04:06:43 am »

Mine is far more comically over the top.  Plus, it's German (and who's funnier than the Germans?)

Severely burned Canadians.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 04:22:10 am »

Why would she be moving the pot off of the stove.  That makes no sense.

Because she's hopped up on meth.  Oh wait... no that's this PSA.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 05:13:21 am »

The montana meth project ads are the best PSAs. They actually succeed in their point... unlike this dont spill boiling oil all over your face ad or the smoking will make you blind pictures. Im sorry but those cigarette things are too over the top to be effective. No one is looking at that and honestly buying into the idea that smoking will make them blind or lose a foot. I think i have better odds of getting hit by a car than losing my foot because of cigarettes.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 05:18:34 am »

Quote
Ughhhh. It's as if those cigarette image folks have deliberately chosen their images to squick out as many people as possible. A particularly grody one doesn't skeeve you out and give you the heebie-jeebies? Rest assured, friend, there's bound to be one that does.

I mean... yes. Isn't that the entire point?

and A-CAP-- they make ads that say that smoking will make you lose your foot? I would think, you know, just your tongue, throat, lungs, and lips.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 05:20:04 am »

I like the cigarettes may cause erectile dysfunction with a limp cigarette.  I would love to get that pack.


Edit:  Also, for my money, the UK [huge letters making up half the front] SMOKING KILLS is probably the best.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 05:54:02 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 06:05:07 am »

The montana meth project ads are the best PSAs. They actually succeed in their point... unlike this dont spill boiling oil all over your face ad or the smoking will make you blind pictures. Im sorry but those cigarette things are too over the top to be effective. No one is looking at that and honestly buying into the idea that smoking will make them blind or lose a foot. I think i have better odds of getting hit by a car than losing my foot because of cigarettes.

Exactly.  And you have a far better chance of getting emphysema if you smoke than both combined. 

But hey, your foot is safe.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 06:29:29 am »

Quote
Exactly.  And you have a far better chance of getting emphysema if you smoke than both combined.

But hey, your foot is safe.

Also, it is not really a fair comparison, because smoking cigarettes is not something that happens randomly or due to someone else's error.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 09:29:07 am »

Nice one AW, I wish I could find a copy of an old undergrad lab safety video I had to watch a few times, basically a sandwich led to a building burning down.

Having been in a position of dispensing the aforementioned horrifying cigarette packs by the way I can attest to people paying attention to the pics on them. Sure they usually just asked for another packet but it is attention grabbing, just not necessarily that effective.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:00:35 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 09:40:48 am »

losing my foot because of cigarettes.

To paraphrase Bill Hicks (smoking may cause damage to unborn fetuses)  "hey, found my brand."  That's right people, if I could smoke and lose one foot thirty years from now and have no other damage I am taking that in a heartbeat.  I think it is time people admit that cigarettes are awesome and the only reason everybody doesn't smoke them is because of health, which is a valid reason, I guess.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 10:24:56 am »

If you lose your foot to cigarettes it is a win-win situation because not only are you losing weight you are also leaving behind a really awesome foot in the hospital morgue.

Even better: let your gangrenous foot fester for a while until maggots appear, and you have got yourself some new friends!

Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2007, 10:38:55 am »

Plus you can use the maggots to clean out any ulcers or other sores on a body that is no doubt wracked from neglect.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2007, 10:59:30 am »

they can just cut that shit off you know.  How much heavy athletic stuff are you going to be doing after 2 packs a day for forty years?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: WTF Canadians?
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 02:44:39 pm »

I don't get why Canada, the UK, and other countries whose economies aren't as bound to tobacco don't just ban them outright instead of futzing around with giant warnings. The US will never do that because tobacco is a money crop and it would be expensive to convert all the farms to something useful. But what's stopping countries that don't actually grow the stuff? Vice taxes, I'm guessing.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up