Like the big sentimental dork that I am, I've been listening to the holiday music quite a bit. Mostly digging on jazz and Elvis and stuff. Just fun silly stuff. However, the theme of longing for peace has been resounding with me lately, and so today I was listening to John and Yoko and the choir, then David Bowie and Bing Crosby, all singing out from 30 + years ago, asking for the same damn thing we're still hoping for today. So here's the lyrics below. I know most of you know them, but I thought I'd put them down here for all to see.
Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - 1971
So this is Xmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun
And so this is Xmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young
A very Merry Xmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear
And so this is Xmas
For weak and for strong
For rich and the poor ones
The world is so wrong
And so happy Xmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight
A very Merry Xmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear
And so this is Xmas
And what have we done
Another year over
A new one just begun
And so happy Xmas
We hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young
A very Merry Xmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear
War is over, if you want it
War is over now
Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy (1977)
And they told me pa-ram-pam-pam-pam
A new-born king to see pa-ram-pam-pam-pam
Our finest gifts we bring pa-ram-pam-pam-pam
Ra-pam-pam-pam, ra-pam-pam-pam
Peace on Earth, can it be
Years from now, perhaps we'll see
See the day of glory
See the day, when men of good will
Live in peace, live in peace again
Peace on Earth, can it be
Every child must be made aware
Every child must be made to care
Care enough for his fellow man
To give all the love that he can
I pray my wish will come true
For my child and your child too
He'll see the day of glory
See the day when men of good will
Live in peace, live in peace again
Peace on Earth, can it be
Can it be?
So I was thinking, yes, of course I want peace. I want those things. I don't want war without end. I don't want gangs in my neighborhood. I don't want abuse in my family. I want to be at the end of my days and say I had a part in helping make peace happen in my lifetime. These songs were sung right before I was born. The longing there? I feel it. So what do I do? What are the practical methods of bringing about peace? There are things I do, and I'm sure things you all do, to try bring peace into the world - be it in your family, your community or on a more global scale. Let's talk about this shit. Let's talk about what really matters.
I know this is a messageboard about cartoon cats, but can we talk about peace? The things we're already doing to bring it into our lives, the things we can do, etc.? I mean... this is important to me. It's something I've been working on in my personal life, and something I want put serious work into in my community (local and global) too. So, yeah... So this is Christmas, and what have you done? I'm not talking peacenik bullshit. I'm talking practical, real, doable things that bring about change for the better.
Suggestions?