Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007  (Read 14666 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« on: December 07, 2007, 09:37:41 pm »

LINK

I hope this isn't the end of the arc(s).  I was looking forward to all the shenanigans in between yesterday's strip and today's "solution."

Efited to add link, what the hell people.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 10:06:41 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 09:41:19 pm »

Why do people always attack the monitor?  The brains are in the box!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

colmore

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 56
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 379
  • Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, Sorry College
    • View Profile
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 09:42:14 pm »

I'm almost never excited by the art in Achewood.  It generally works well for the strip, and at times it can do surprising and funny things, but it doesn't really stand on its own.  The last panel of today's strip is one of the few images I've seen that I think I would have been impressed with had I never read the strip.

Also, Cornelius and Ray seem to have one thing in common: both are constantly giving themselves treats and just kickin' it.  A man who can just stroll around his own house in a smoking jacket with a martini for no special occasion at all has got a few more things figured out about life than me.
Logged
In Capitalist America, bank robs you!

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 09:55:51 pm »

The whomping instrument in the last panel is a cricket bat. In a previous life at a previous college I would join other men in a jeep and hunt for larger ground rodents that needed to be whomped with a cricket bat. The record was held by a young man, now graduated, who whomped a raccoon 8.5 feet on VA route 460.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 10:10:03 pm »

OK, never mind A-CAP's politics -- I don't know which is worse, that he beats on defenseless animals or that he thinks that a raccoon is a rodent.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 10:13:55 pm »

OK, never mind A-CAP's politics -- I don't know which is worse, that he beats on defenseless animals or that he thinks that a raccoon is a rodent.

I admit to no such thing. And I said they were hunting for rodents, not that a raccoon was a rodent. If anyone here other than wombat can quickly discern a small fuzzy animal from Rodentia or Carnivora orders, they know more about rodentia and carnivora than i do.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 10:21:31 pm by NYU »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 10:19:16 pm »

I was hoping that the next few strips would be Cornelius taking out his rage on Nolan with that cricket bat, but since I'm sure Nolan has a subscription to dapper-ursine-authors-beating-you-with-cricket-supplies.com, it would probably lose its vengeance factor and just get creepier. Oh, well.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 10:23:04 pm »

I admit to no such thing. And I said they were hunting for rodents, not that a raccoon was a rodent.

So you're friends with people who can't even find proper rodents to whomp when they're looking for them? These kids today, I don't know what the world is coming to.

But as for the strip - Normally I am all worried about poor innocent Philippe but I feel like Cornelius is overreacting here. I mean, a thousand dollars to have dinner and Philippe obviously doesn't even realize the guy is probably using his letters for perverted purposes - I'm not sure I see the problem. Or is the real issue that wealth is making Philippe into kind of a jerk?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 10:52:25 pm »

So you're friends with people who can't even find proper rodents to whomp when they're looking for them? These kids today, I don't know what the world is coming to.

But as for the strip - Normally I am all worried about poor innocent Philippe but I feel like Cornelius is overreacting here. I mean, a thousand dollars to have dinner and Philippe obviously doesn't even realize the guy is probably using his letters for perverted purposes - I'm not sure I see the problem. Or is the real issue that wealth is making Philippe into kind of a jerk?

Look at what Philippe told Connie, dude. Connie's mind is running rampant with possibilities. Philippe's simplified statement makes it sound like he is being groomed by a pedophile. I, too, wish to see Connie rockin' Nolan's head with a cricket bat.

Also, the phrase "you've got the cash reserves of a tortilla" is pure comedy gold. I love it.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 11:01:10 pm »

Quote
The whomping instrument in the last panel is a cricket bat. In a previous life at a previous college I would join other men in a jeep and hunt for larger ground rodents that needed to be whomped with a cricket bat. The record was held by a young man, now graduated, who whomped a raccoon 8.5 feet on VA route 460.

This is why the world needs women. Otherwise, men convince themselves things like this are a good idea.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 11:09:09 pm »

I dunno... when I hung out with the dudes, worst we ever did was take stop signs down from intersections.

Note: We never actually took stop signs down from intersections.

I agree with the Mr.-Bear-is-defending-Philippe's-sweet-virgin-ass hypothesis, but I prefer to think of it as him summarily rejecting all of the stupid shit that the Internet makes possible. A five year old otter can earn a thousand dollars for having dinner with a man because of the Internet. You can send pictures of your junk to people in Sri Lanka because of the Internet. White supremacists can make money by having their teenage daughters release hate music because of the Internet. For all of the benefits of the Internet, it certainly does allow a lot of stupid bullshit to continue to exist, and indeed, to prosper.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 11:30:08 pm »

I love that when Phillipe comes into a modest sum of money, he immediately transforms into Louis XIV.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 11:50:53 pm »

You whomp the monitor, you break it in a way that Phillipe sure as hell can't fix and... that Phillipe can't so easily talk Beef into fixing for him. You know that he'd guilt repair to Beef-fixable things outta Beef in, like, two minutes.

We only took electioneering signs from lawns. We were not partisan, we considered them all equal eyesores in the eyes of The Great Spirit. And by the Great Spirit, I mean "our marijuana high".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

chuanoplast

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 33
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 234
  • Most Painful Part
    • View Profile
    • Stupid Blog
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 01:22:23 am »

Phillipe's candelabreptre is so cute. Not only can he hit disloyal subjects with it, he can also use it to find his way to the bathroom at night.
Logged
The most important decision in my life: the rabbit mug or the monkey mug. (PS I GOT THE KITTY MUG)

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: A pleasing dance for King Philippe -- 07 December 2007
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 04:20:34 am »

Once again, we see that Cornelius Bear is the fuck*ng man. The guy is a gentleman through and through, but if you endanger his little buddy, he will fuck*ng curb your ass.
But as for the strip - Normally I am all worried about poor innocent Philippe but I feel like Cornelius is overreacting here. I mean, a thousand dollars to have dinner and Philippe obviously doesn't even realize the guy is probably using his letters for perverted purposes - I'm not sure I see the problem. Or is the real issue that wealth is making Philippe into kind of a jerk?
Wombat, what the fuck? I'm very disturbed by your indifference here. I, for one, see the problem quite clearly, as I'm sure everyone else here does. Just imagine your own child in Philippe's place, and maybe then you'll get it.

Compared to the real problem, your hypothesis of money ruining Phillipe is piddling.
I agree with the Mr.-Bear-is-defending-Philippe's-sweet-virgin-ass hypothesis, but I prefer to think of it as him summarily rejecting all of the stupid shit that the Internet makes possible. A five year old otter can earn a thousand dollars for having dinner with a man because of the Internet. You can send pictures of your junk to people in Sri Lanka because of the Internet. White supremacists can make money by having their teenage daughters release hate music because of the Internet. For all of the benefits of the Internet, it certainly does allow a lot of stupid bullshit to continue to exist, and indeed, to prosper.

Jesus, Golfhaus, Cornelius doesn't care about making a symbolic gesture about the human condition. He wants to make sure that Philippe doesn't talk to a pedophile. It's not about the world, it's only about Philippe. It's really, really simple. If there's any second layer, it's that he's angry at himself for not being careful enough with the boy's internet access. You can bet that as soon as he takes care of Nolan, Cornelius will become computer-savvy and put all the necessary precautions in place so that this doesn't happen again.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up