Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years  (Read 4097 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« on: December 09, 2007, 06:29:41 pm »

Mr. Onstad just mentioned this on the front page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320193908630

He painted this three years ago, in 2004. Weird. I wonder if he just doesn't paint much anymore, or if he's trying to get more holiday merch out there.

Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 08:08:17 pm »

Perhaps he didn't consider it of sufficient quality before, but now the siren song of the holiday moneys has lowered his standards.

I still think that the Phillipe painting on the Vespa is tres awesome.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 09:29:51 pm »

I wrote to him before asking about the possibility of commissioning something for our living room wall. Never heard back from him.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 09:34:36 pm »

I wrote to him before asking about the possibility of commissioning something for our living room wall. Never heard back from him.
As in, you wanted Onstad to come in and paint your living room wall? Or you wanted to direct him to paint something you could hang on your wall?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 10:06:20 pm »

The latter... though how awesome would the former have been? People coming from miles around to see it, like the SaniTaco stand.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 11:03:01 pm »

I thought he posted something about being too busy to take commissions? Perhaps that's why he never responded.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 11:05:18 pm »

Huh... don't recall that. If so, then I don't feel so bad.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 05:54:58 am »

I remember pretty clearly when the last painting auction was run, but I didn't realize that was over two years ago.  Have I really been reading Achewood for over two years now?  Really?  Am I... developing diabetes?
Logged
ACHIEVE

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 11:00:17 am »

My God. That son of a bitch is *ugly*.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 08:09:18 pm »

Yikes, that is a low quality piece of work.  Especially having seen the other paintings Onstad has done.  It's sort of encouraging though.  Like maybe I should put more work into making paintings.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 12:37:14 am »

Like maybe I should put more work into making paintings.

Maybe if you had a popular webcomic with a rogue messageboard audience you could make money like O.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 02:20:04 pm »

To be truly rogue, we should make and sell our own fan art.  It's the perfect combination of pissing Onstad off while still exhibiting fan-dom for the work.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 10:51:10 pm »

Oh wow, it's almost at a thousand dollars now.  CraZZZZy.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 11:33:36 pm »

The two bidders fighting this battle: one just buys N64 video games,  the other actually buys art.    I think one of them is putting him on.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 01:47:31 am »

Crap on a crap cracker, it's at $960 and it's still got 2 days and five hours left to go. I agree, Ash... I do hope that he gets top dollar for it. Someday when I'm not po' (i.e., I cannot afford the last two letters of the word "poor") I would like to buy some Achewood original art.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up