Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frugality  (Read 16427 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Frugality
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2007, 05:05:48 pm »

Don't flip too soon.  Wait 'til the top of the white has turned opaque, then flip, count to five, and serve.  (This leaves the yolks pretty runny.)  If the bottom of the egg gets too brown while you're waiting for the top to cook, turn the heat down a notch or two. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Frugality
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2007, 05:26:07 pm »

I'm in no way saying that it is wrong or bad that y'all enjoy things like mushrooms or punk music.

If these things make you happy, I'm sincerely happy that you dig it.

I... I just have given things like these many chances and do not personally get it at all.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Frugality
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2007, 06:41:22 pm »

oh, see, I actually don't want the yolk that runny. just... some-runny. I think the pan I used was too small, I couldn't get a good angle with the spatula.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Frugality
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2007, 06:49:24 pm »

I think JL is right -- you're flipping too soon.  Basically you're doing almost all the cooking on one side and flipping the egg just to finish off the other side.

Getting the exactly right degree of runniness is a matter of expirimentation.  Personally, I like my eggs hard so it's not a problem.  But the rest of my family likes them runny, so, being as how I'm the chief cook around here, I've had to learn how to do it.  They do seem to cook a lot quicker than you think.  A gentle touch on the back of the yolk after the flip can be revealing.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Frugality - cash site info
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2007, 09:04:56 pm »

OK, so I have the information from my friend about these sites.  His actual words are quoted, my comments aren't.  In general, you'll want to set up some free email address to do these with:

www.mypoints.com
 - This site gives you points for clicking on links in your email, as well as doing online shopping through their referral links.

www.globaltestmarket.com
 - This is a survey site.  You get 50-75 points per survey and can "cash out" at 1000 points ($50).  Protip: Always answer "Never" or "A very long time" when asked how recently you've filled out a survey.

www.mysurvey.com
www.your2cents.com
 - More survey sites.  Not as good as the test market.

www.hotspex.com
Quote
That one doesn't look as great because its "rewards" are entries into contests. But they have a partnership with Points.com where you can "trade" your hotspex bux for gift certificates on Points.com

www.fusioncash.net
Quote
That's the one to be careful with and that they would want a separate email address probably. It pays you for signing up for all kinds of junk. Contests, other survey sites which are bogus. If they don't want spam, or phone calls to their cell phones that they would have to ignore then stay away from that one

It also pays a lot like $2-10 for signing up to a lot of free trials that you have to cancel within the month or start getting charged. I stay away from those but I could see making a crapload of money that way. I could also see spending a crapload if you're not diligent

 - The only way I'd recommend this would be if you have an empty gift card to use instead of a credit card.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Frugality
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2007, 10:06:37 pm »

Can and respect to Lister for not using "Referral" links in his post.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Frugality
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2007, 10:07:43 pm »

I did three Mturk HITs and realized that I spent 15 minutes to earn thirty cents. Back to the drawing board. Maybe I can get paid for donating plasma or something?

Semi-random rant that is tangentially related to making money: A woman that I work with just got her second kidney transplant. The first one failed. I was quite inspired to sign up with the live donor registry...Until I realized that I would receive zero compensation for the time I would have to take off work. You have to spend 2-3 days in the hospital after kidney donation, and who knows how long it would take until you're back up to full speed!

Of course, selling organs is a felony in this country. I guess that nobody wants to start down that slippery slope of even offering donors basic recompense for time, pain, and suffering. Meanwhile, the donor pool is abysmally small.

On the organ-selling topic, the thought of getting $30K in exchange for a duplicitous organ is tempting, but the thought of being a convicted felon is not.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:11:16 pm by linnea »
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Frugality
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2007, 10:46:26 pm »

On the organ-selling topic, the thought of getting $30K in exchange for a duplicitous organ is tempting...

I know a guy who can make this happen.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Frugality
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2007, 11:02:11 pm »

I don't want to break the law, I just want to help save someone's life and get some recompense for taking time off work and maybe some walkin' around money. I have type O+ blood. I donate blood every 2 months, have no diseases except a slow thyroid and some depression, and I have an extremely low-risk lifestyle.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Frugality
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2007, 11:14:26 pm »

I've spent much of this thread imagining "Frugality!" as a fighting video game "Fatality!" move.

Such as... literally nickeling and diming a dude to death instead of... ripping out his spine or whatever.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Frugality
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2007, 12:42:54 am »

I have been a MyPoints user for several years now, and can vouch for its awesomeness. All of their e-mails have the word "MyPoints" in the subject line, so it's easy to filter them to a folder, and then once a week or so when you have 15 minutes, go through and click through the e-mails. I buy from a lot of their merchants anyway, so it's kind of a no-brainer. I turn in my MyPoints for Hilton HHonors points, and have gotten two free nights from my efforts. Not bad for answering e-mail. Now that my wife are I are entering a phase where we need to be frugal as well, we may start turning them for less fun stuff and more necessity stuff.

Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Frugality
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2007, 02:32:01 am »

I have been a MyPoints user for several years now, and can vouch for its awesomeness. All of their e-mails have the word "MyPoints" in the subject line, so it's easy to filter them to a folder, and then once a week or so when you have 15 minutes, go through and click through the e-mails. I buy from a lot of their merchants anyway, so it's kind of a no-brainer. I turn in my MyPoints for Hilton HHonors points, and have gotten two free nights from my efforts. Not bad for answering e-mail. Now that my wife are I are entering a phase where we need to be frugal as well, we may start turning them for less fun stuff and more necessity stuff.

I've been using MyPoints for about 9 years and it's pretty painless. The only downsides are that if you want to get points for shopping at Office Depot, BN.com, &c you have to not only have to go the mypoints.com and click a refferal link but also make your purchase with the same e-mail address that you registered at MyPoints with. So it makes it harder to use a dummy e-mail to keep out spam. And that the rewards vary greatly in their points-to-dollar ratio.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up