Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Ike Turner dead  (Read 23075 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 03:22:56 am »

I have heard of most of those bands, heard one song and then... quickly found them uninteresting. Went and borrowed another one of my dad's Pink Floyd LPs instead.

As a Flaming Lips fan, I gotta admit... I'm a tad bit offended that they're be painted with the broad brush of "punk". They have more in common with the prog movement than anything else.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 03:26:38 am »

That is bad Lips.  Or, the last two, maybe three.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 03:28:01 am »

yeah, I didn't really mean that they were "punk" per se-- but the impulse of just saying "screw you, we're going to make music like Pink Floyd, but without musical knowledge to any degree" is the impulse that I find appealing in punk.

"Finally, the punk rockers are taking acid!"
-Wayne Coyne
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 05:06:19 am »

I don't know that I'd say I LOVE The Flaming Lips, but I enjoyed Yoshimi a lot. I love the hell out of Steve Burns' Songs For Dustmites, which is heavily Lips-influenced and produced by one of them.

That being said, I will never get my initial assessment of them out of my head, which was: "Man, Wayne Coyne looks like Gay Dennis Miller."

Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 06:13:29 am »

I don't know that I'd say I LOVE The Flaming Lips, but I enjoyed Yoshimi a lot. I love the hell out of Steve Burns' Songs For Dustmites, which is heavily Lips-influenced and produced by one of them.

That being said, I will never get my initial assessment of them out of my head, which was: "Man, Wayne Coyne looks like Gay Dennis Miller."



I haven't the faintest clue who the fuck Wayne Coyne is, but damn if that doesn't look like Gay Dennis Miller.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2007, 07:56:30 am »

See, I think he looks like if Steven Wright and Commander Data had a child.

...who would make pithy observations about life without ever using contractions, presumably.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2007, 09:14:02 pm »

I didn't make this clear, but Inev is also right that the Sex Pistols are not punk.  Not at all. 

Sigh.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2007, 03:33:49 am »

OK, I just went back and listened to snippets of Kerplunk by Green Day, and it sounds like punk to me.

Over on Last.fm there's this unending fight on Green Day's wiki page. Somebody will put "Green Day is a punk band..." then somebody will change punk to pop, then a 3rd person will change it to pop-punk, followed by punk-pop, then back to punk again. It was really funny to watch how mad the editors were at the previous person's genre choice but after like 4 straight months it got really old.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 07:46:28 am »

I love punk. Have loved it since I was 15, depressed as hell, searching for acceptance in any way I could find it. Still love it at 23, happily adjusted with a great job and great friends.

But through it all, I've always hated the fuck*ng Sex Pistols. That they are ever mentioned in the same breath as The Clash is a travesty. The Sex Pistols are punk, lower-case P, sales tag with MSRP dangling from the K. The Clash? They're Punk. Capital P. They fuck*ng matter.

That's really the best I can describe it.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2007, 08:15:35 am »

I've always hated the fuck*ng Sex Pistols. That they are ever mentioned in the same breath as The Clash is a travesty. The Sex Pistols are punk, lower-case P, sales tag with MSRP dangling from the K.

Goodness gracious, there are some silly people posting in this thread.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2007, 09:38:24 am »

Like I say... I sure can't tell the difference.

This is just my personal opinion here but... to my ears, nearly everything I've ever heard to be called "punk" sounded like upper-middle class kids fuck*ng around and pretending to be poor because they think its cool and... manifesting this facade through never learning how to play their instruments.

Just me, your mileage will definitely vary but... it is hard to imagine a difference between all of these bands that sound exactly alike to me.

The only difference seems to be if the singer is an upper-class Londoner affecting a working class British accent or if it is a middle-class teenager from coastal Orange County affecting that same working class British accent.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2007, 12:41:26 pm »

wow man, you sure can judge people's lives pretty well just by how their guitar chords sound.

I mean, Kenny Chesney sounds pretty Country to me. I don't think I'd get away with saying he isn't pop, though, you know?
The man is pop. Maybe it's country-sounding pop, but it's still pop.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 01:15:04 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2007, 12:43:50 pm »

Listen to Sandinista asshole. (I am super drunk, pissed off and on amphetamine, fuck yourself clash haters.  On another topic, I am listening to sandinista.

Edit:  and oh yeah, I'll agree with inev that that isn't really punk, but also I disagree.  Man, punk is a state of mind and the sex pistols didn't have that state, they just hired a cat to kill his gf and himself.  He wasn't even punk, because he was just in it for the money.  The clash have that state even if they are singing reggae songs.  And oh yeah, the Clash version of Police and Thieves is the greatest song, and representation of punk ever recorded.  Like I said, basicallt alcohol posioning drunk.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 12:59:45 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2007, 03:55:24 pm »

Like I say... I sure can't tell the difference.

This is just my personal opinion here but... to my ears, nearly everything I've ever heard to be called "punk" sounded like upper-middle class kids fuck*ng around and pretending to be poor because they think its cool and... manifesting this facade through never learning how to play their instruments.

See, I find this funny because of all the Good Charlotte hate when they first got big. People would cry out "they're not punk! They're a lame pop band just trying to get rich!" This is hilarious because they really were two poor brothers who formed a band just to get rich. They never claimed to be punk that I heard. Hell, the lyrics to their first major single were all about "I hope this band does well so that we can afford an apartment and maybe some Christmas presents this year." They just happened to have kind of punkish clothes and hair, mainly because one of them had a day job in an alternative salon for several years.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 04:31:19 pm »

Goodness gracious, there are some silly people posting in this thread.

Sigh.

See, these two posts have the same amount of substance as the Sex Pistols' entire discography. That's the point I'm getting at.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up