Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Ike Turner dead  (Read 23116 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2007, 04:41:11 pm »

Who the fuck cares if something is "punk" or not!

Do you like the music or don't you?  That is all that matters. 

Quit arguing over labels!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2007, 04:46:04 pm »

Bringing Aug's post together with another thread: Peter Schickele's motto on his radio show was a quote from Duke Ellington: "If it sounds good, it is good."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2007, 04:59:53 pm »

the only reason I care in this context is that people are saying that they don't like punk music, and then citing examples which I don't consider to be very good examples at all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2007, 05:16:52 pm »

Okay, so... let's stop talking about punk before this thread goes the way of the last one. I think it's pretty plain to see that some of us like it, some of us hate it, and some of us have no idea what "it" is (the latter might be all of us, I think).

So! Ike Turner. Kind of a dick, yeah? Sucks that he's dead, though. OR DOES IT???

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2007, 05:27:57 pm »

My favourite line in Schickele Mix:

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got... that certain je ne sais qua."

That line is funny on so many goddamned levels.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2007, 05:34:55 pm »

Okay, so... let's stop talking about punk before this thread goes the way of the last one. I think it's pretty plain to see that some of us like it, some of us hate it, and some of us have no idea what "it" is (the latter might be all of us, I think).

So! Ike Turner. Kind of a dick, yeah? Sucks that he's dead, though. OR DOES IT???

I don't think that Tina went to his funeral. I don't blame her! I read my mom's paperback copy of "I, Tina" (cowritten with Kurt Loder) when I was in 4th grade and cried my eyes out. I think that reading that book during my formative years (along with a multitude of other factors) really gave me incentive to want to help alleviate domestic violence, hence my volunteer work.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2007, 05:46:20 pm »

Oh man, Kurt Loder, there's a person I haven't thought of in...

About as long as you can possibly think of someone who was halfway famous 15 years ago.

You begin to wonder if people like that ever actually existed or, like, if you just made them up for the purposes of your memories making sense. Like MTV had a news show and so you just kind of conflated an average of VJ traits and television news-anchor traits and they...

They just became a retroactively manufactured memory of "Kurt Loder".

Just so that your memories flow better. A literary device in an actual world.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2007, 05:49:05 pm »

Does Kurt Loder still work for MTV? That guy's got to be really ancient now, because he was pretty ancient when I was 12 and could still stomach that channel.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2007, 06:06:03 pm »

They drag him and John Norris out whenever something Serious is going on. Major artist dying or something like that. That and the MTV Music Awards.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2007, 06:36:58 pm »

Can'd for proper capitaliziation.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2007, 07:25:46 pm »

See, these two posts have the same amount of substance as the Sex Pistols' entire discography. That's the point I'm getting at.

If you're going to say things that are dopey, like "the Sex Pistols weren't a punk band" or the above quote ( about a band who only released one album ), you are going to appear like a dope.  That's the point I'm getting at.

Not that I don't think the Clash are awesome.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 07:36:38 pm by Limmo »
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2007, 07:43:21 pm »

If you're going to say things that are dopey, like "the Sex Pistols weren't a punk band" or the above quote ( about a band who only released one album ), you are going to appear like a dope.  That's the point I'm getting at.

Not that I don't think the Clash are awesome.

Fun Fact: Singles count under the word discography, too. Hey! Who knew.

And you'll notice I didn't say the Sex Pistols aren't punk. They are, I guess, in the vaguest sense of an already vague word. I'm just saying they don't hold a candle to the Clash. I just used a bit of hyperbole (big p, little p) to illustrate my point.

It's fine that you like them. Really. Go on ahead. That's great.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2007, 07:44:32 pm »

Fun Fact: Singles count under the word discography, too. Hey! Who knew.

And you'll notice I didn't say the Sex Pistols aren't punk. They are, I guess, in the vaguest sense of an already vague word. I'm just saying they don't hold a candle to the Clash. I just used a bit of hyperbole (big p, little p) to illustrate my point.

It's fine that you like them. Really. Go on ahead. That's great.

Oh, for Christ's sake. Take your damn lame Punk vs. Not Punk discussion elsewhere. This is a thread about Ike!
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2007, 07:47:05 pm »

Okay, so... let's stop talking about punk before this thread goes the way of the last one. I think it's pretty plain to see that some of us like it, some of us hate it, and some of us have no idea what "it" is (the latter might be all of us, I think).

So! Ike Turner. Kind of a dick, yeah? Sucks that he's dead, though. OR DOES IT???

Linnea: You'll see I already tried that trick. Time to try it again. Sorry, limmo. We can get into a pissing contest another time, maybe?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2007, 07:48:26 pm »

For the record, I did my best to try and dislodge the punk debate with a discussion of how Kurt Loder is an imaginary cultural artifact, just like... the Easter Bunny or Osama Bin Laden.

Just... puttin' it out there that I tried my best. haha.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up