Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris Onstad does not wear makeup. Life hasn't given him any funny ideas about who he is.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ike Turner dead  (Read 23084 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2007, 03:52:14 am »

Well, I mean, it's not that I'm not old enough to remember her.

I remember her being cute back in the day, totally.

But... yeah, scrawny and tan just does not hold up to the years very well, in my libido's opinion.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2007, 03:57:31 am »

Paul, would you care to weigh in on the question?

I never have lived in a house with cable television in my life so I didn't develop a crush on Martha Quinn like so many of our generation.  So I don't have that bias.  As for what I like, I tend to go for women that say yes.  You could say I'm a hole man in that regard.  Beyond that, I typically like women with a little more, but more importantly I like the curves.  In that picture that Jim linked to I saw some nice contours.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2007, 07:25:48 pm »

I'm not Paul, but I got MTV from the early days, and I was down with the Martha Quinn-Nina Blackwood duality.  Martha was the cute 'n' perky girl next door, Nina was the bad girl rocker chick.  Each hot in her own way.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2007, 08:00:05 am »

Ehhhh, I dunno.

Maybe I'm just still kind of too young but... she kind of looks like Alanis Morisette's aging hippie mom.

She's definitely pleasant looking and everything but maybe just too much older than I am to be interesting yet.

If there's a 2027 and I'm alive in it, I'll probably think that's a picture of an attractive woman by then, sure.

"Shut the fuck up, Donny. You're out of your element."
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2007, 04:17:35 pm »

One of the guys from Steely Dan wrote a good balanced obit for the guy...

http://www.slate.com/id/2180162/
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2007, 08:19:37 pm »

I like it. Except for the part where he says Ike's band kind of invented ska... because, you know, that sound is like... JAMAICA. The accented-upbeat comes from their traditional music, is my understanding. The rest of ska is what came from the US-- the upbeat was theirs.
Although, you know, maybe "No More Doggin'" gave them the idea to mix mento with r&b.

Man, I like ska so much. Desmond Dekker is, I think, tied with Sam Cooke for "prettiest voice I have ever heard."
(for samples, compare "Israelites" and "A Change Gonna Come")
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2008, 12:25:52 am »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7193080.stm

What do you know, he died of a cocaine overdose.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2008, 05:07:23 am »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7193080.stm

What do you know, he died of a cocaine overdose.

That's rock and roll baby!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2008, 03:09:28 am »

Any time something like this comes up, Dr. Rockso pops into my head.

Thanks, Dr. Rockso.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2008, 04:12:31 am »

"All I know is... I'm Doctor Rockso, the Rock N Roll Clown... and I USED to do cocaine!"

Fuckin'. Genius.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2008, 04:16:01 am »

I used to drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2008, 04:23:31 am »

I gave you a can for that movie site in today im..., then it sucked, but you earned your can now.

Oh yeah, don't talk shit on tv-links yo.


I used to drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Ike Turner dead
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2008, 08:30:46 pm »

I can't believe I read this whole thread and I STILL don't know if Ike Turner was punk.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up