Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: fahrenheit vs. celsius  (Read 21109 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
fahrenheit vs. celsius
« on: December 14, 2007, 06:01:51 pm »

The other day me and a friend were talking about this, and I can't get much online so I thought I would ask you all.

I am down with the metric system and all (don't know if that is related to c v. f), but it seems to me like Fahrenheit is, well, more accurate than Celsius.  So why is Celsius so popular?  You are losing accuracy, right?  I mean, based on the scale.  Also, in a thing like science, where it seems like it is a thing to be hell of accurate, why do they use Celsius?  Just because of the Kelvin scale?  I am not saying Fahrenheit is perfect, but it seems like if you are going to go through the trouble of switching shit up, a better scale could be made than either.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 06:09:54 pm »

Well, I mean, accuracy is kinda relative, isn't it?

If you're in the hardcore science, you have awesomely-powered measuring equipment so you can measure down to the hundredths and thousandths (and so on) of either scale and still eventually reach equal accuracy.

And even if F is slightly more accurate for more common applications... for you or for me, there's no functional difference between 45 degrees F and 46 degrees F or.... 15 degrees C and 16 degrees C in 99.999% of the cases and... in the few cases where it does matter? We can get our hands on more sensitive equipment to make up for it on those limited basisesesisises.

Basii?

F and C are both fundamentally arbitrary, why go to the trouble of inventing a third arbitrary system?

Most science and the rest of the world can use C and... the rough conversion'll still work for normal non-science people still hanging onto the English system until... eventually, inexorably, F shrinks away.

No point in just making up another one and just confusing everybody more, if it's essentially an arbitrary means of measure for any common usages.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 07:01:11 pm »

I still have no idea what normal room temperature in Celsius would be. From my EMT training, I know that 37C is normal human body temperature. I am definitely down with the metric system, and I think it would be more efficient if everyone in the world used the same standard. I see little need for another arbitrary system.

Also, KH... Did you know that you can use decimal points with the Celsius system? That means it's just as accurate as any other measuring stick. I don't see what the big deal is.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 07:18:23 pm »

In reading this thread, my question was why the scale starts arbitarily with zero at some point, with observable phenomena occuring at 32 and 212 degrees. So I asked Wikipedia.

Quoth Wikipedia:

"There are a few competing versions of the story of how Fahrenheit came to devise his temperature scale. According to Fahrenheit himself in an article he wrote in 1724 [1] he determined three fixed points of temperature. The zero point is determined by placing the thermometer in a mixture of ice, water, and sodium chloride (or sea salt). This is a type of frigorific mixture. The mixture automatically stabilizes its temperature at 0 degrees F. He then put an alcohol or mercury thermometer into the mixture and let the liquid in the thermometer descend to its lowest point. The second point is the 32nd degree found by mixing ice and water without the salt. His third point, the 96th degree, was the level of the liquid in the thermometer when held in the mouth or under the armpit. Fahrenheit noted that, using this scale, mercury boils at around 600 degrees.

His measurements were not entirely accurate; by his original scale, the actual melting and boiling points would have been noticeably different from 32 °F and 212 °F. Some time after his death, it was decided to recalibrate the scale with 32 °F and 212 °F as the exact melting and boiling points of plain water. That change was made to easily convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit and vice versa, with a simple formula. This change also explains why the body temperature once taken as 96 °F by Fahrenheit is today taken by many as 98.6 °F (it is a direct conversion of 37 °C), although giving the value as 98 °F would be more accurate"
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 07:20:26 pm »


And even if F is slightly more accurate for more common applications... for you or for me, there's no functional difference between 45 degrees F and 46 degrees F or.... 15 degrees C and 16 degrees C in 99.999% of the cases and... in the few cases where it does matter? We can get our hands on more sensitive equipment to make up for it on those limited basisesesisises.

Basii?


Try "Bases". With a long 'e'. "Beh-sees"

Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 07:43:22 pm »

Maybe this is the stuff of legend, but I head that Fahrenheit chose the 0 and 100 points to cover the range of "typical" seasonal weather for Europe over the course of a year.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 07:51:06 pm »

That could be a place to start, but since Mr. F did Science and needed to calibrate temperature measuring devices, I'm thinking he used the sodium chloride/ice, ice and boiling water since they are repeatable phenomena.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 07:58:50 pm »

If you're in the hardcore science, you have awesomely-powered measuring equipment so you can measure down to the hundredths and thousandths (and so on) of either scale and still eventually reach equal accuracy.

Yeah I was going to put that but forgot.  Still though.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 08:03:15 pm »

I guess it shows how outdated the books my elementary school had, but when I was first introduced to Celsius, I knew it as Centigrade.  Since that's what I was taught at a young impressionable age, the term comes to my lips faster than Celsius.

A quick Wikipedia search shows that term died out in the mid 40's.   I imagine that it was an instant change for active scientists, but it took a while for it to catch on for grade school teachers in Eastern WA.

I had to Wikipedia it, because while I don't perform much of the alchemical sciences in my day to day life, the confusion of the two terms "Celsius" and "Centigrade" made me worry that all this time, there was a difference, and when I use the term Centigrade, someone might look down on me as a low person of no account.

In reality, they may suspect me of being a time traveler, or perhaps the unlucky subject of your average time tunnel or neighborhood wormhole.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 08:11:50 pm »

Maybe this is the stuff of legend, but I head that Fahrenheit chose the 0 and 100 points to cover the range of "typical" seasonal weather for Europe over the course of a year.

I heard that he hated negative numbers. Hated them to hell. So he chose 0 as a point so low that encountering numbers below it would be rare and extra scary.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 08:27:01 pm »

I had to Wikipedia it, because while I don't perform much of the alchemical sciences in my day to day life, the confusion of the two terms "Celsius" and "Centigrade" made me worry that all this time, there was a difference, and when I use the term Centigrade, someone might look down on me as a low person of no account.
Its a perfectly cromulent word.  It simply means "100 steps", which describes the temperature scale devised by Celsius, and serendipitously begins with the same capital letter.  I would imagine for those with a speech impediment, Centigrade is easier to say, having only one sibilant rather than 3.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 11:06:27 pm »

In celcius water freezes at 0 and boils at 100. This makes crazy sense to me. But I can see the attractiveness of spreading normal temperatures out over a longer scale.
Maybe the reason C is the standard in scientific stuff is because science and engineering often involve looking at temperatures way outside the average human experience?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 12:07:55 am »

I'd been told once by a teacher that 32 was the number of girlfriends he had had, and 212 was the number of times he'd had sex at a certain point. Because he was a nerd, and kept a tally.

It's one of those stories that can't be true, no matter how much you want it to be.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 12:30:31 am »

it seems to me like Fahrenheit is, well, more accurate than Celsius.  So why is Celsius so popular?

Yeah, it is because of the Kelvin scale.  Chemistry/physics use the Kelvin scale factored into several formulas, and Celsius is the same scale.  It just tries to be divisible by 10, since that is the selling point of the whole metric system.

A change in temperature in C is equal to a change in temperature in K, so the value can still be used in equations.  Plus, the thermometers used in chemistry don't need to use the whole Kelvin range, so Celsius it is.  All those thermometers have Fahrenheit scales on them, anyway.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: fahrenheit vs. celsius
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 12:47:36 am »

I heard that Fahrenheit wanted normal human body temperature to be 100, but he had a slight fever when he was taking measurements, and therefore ended up being 1.4 degrees off. 

These are fascinating stories.  It's amazing how the lore differs. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up