Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Layoffs At The Mine (10-27-03)  (Read 3143 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Layoffs At The Mine (10-27-03)
« on: October 27, 2003, 07:56:07 am »

Not really a funny one today - but nice to see a young Nice Pete placing a rose on his mother's grave.  

I thought the head shrinking 10% each year thing was a little silly.

The alt text just made the strip depressing.

Not quite "Here's a bag of their hands."

Strip.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 12:19:31 pm by Nabubrush »
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2003, 10:41:52 am »

The new 'saddest thing'?
I sniggered in a 'awww that's so sad but silly' way mind.
Kind of nice to see Nice Pete's back story though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

captainimpossibles

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 11:38:22 am »

OH LORD NO, NOT SILLY. GOD HELP US.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 02:04:53 pm »

I am in awe of Onstad.  What a great origin for Nice Pete.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 03:30:37 pm »

I just found the strip depressing.  Then again I'm at work on a grey day and we're currently getting that first slushy ugly damp snow.  Sigh.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 04:15:24 pm »

I am oddly moved, especially considering this is the most raw volume of backstory for a character we've had since Mr. Bear's background from the party.

I love Young Nice Pete in the next-to-last panel; he's so... gentle-looking. Earnest. What happened?
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 06:57:12 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
Todays strip playing with the whole desolation of WV hilltop communities amidst the natural splendor theme had the most Achewood melancholy feel of any strip in a while.

It does, indeed, echo back a lot of the earlier, nearly-forgotten themes of despair and melancholy. This is stuff we generally only see in Beef nowadays, and even the saddest of the recent stuff -- the Nacho Eye and Bubble Boy strips, for example -- tends to have a laugh attached, even a harsh laugh.

It's an odd feeling of homecoming to come back to more melancholy material, and now I find it hard to say how I feel about the strip's overall mood shifts. On one hand, I'm not going to give up material like Animalicious and the genuinely funny stuff that happens, but on the other... I missed this despair, I think.

Man, Achewood makes you think. Silly webcomic.
Logged

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2003, 09:26:28 pm »

I found the strip a little disconcerting... I was torn between melancholy and silly.
Logged
goose means greedy

FeeReep

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 109
    • View Profile
Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2003, 11:25:52 pm »

That second panel creeps me out. Look out, Teador.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 12:51:42 am »

It struggles in my mine to be funny ha-ha, funny absurd, melancholy touching and some kind of social commentary. It is kind of silly.

I like it but not as much as the bag o'hands.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 01:40:36 am »

I'm just glad it's Nice Pete who's got the tear-inducing background for now, because I don't care about him.  I still tremble in fear that we may someday find out about Philippe's tragic past, as was threatened in one of Onstad's interviews.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

FancieBabie

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wudoin.com
man
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 02:02:05 am »

i thought this one was really really cool. the 5th panel is just great. and the last panel is hilarious. A+++ would read again
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 02:51:21 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
I'm just glad it's Nice Pete who's got the tear-inducing background for now, because I don't care about him.  I still tremble in fear that we may someday find out about Philippe's tragic past, as was threatened in one of Onstad's interviews.


We never did find out what his "therapy" was for.

As for Teador's wondering, it looks like it's better to know Nice Pete than not to. Unless he was friends with the people who those hands belonged to.
Logged

starlight

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 323
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~aekastar
Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 08:50:46 am »

I sent mom a link to this strip labeled 'shrinking head!' and she replied that she hoped I wasn't worried about my head shrinking now (I'm a hypochondriac) ..this thought hadn't even crossed my mind, so it made it more humourous than it was before
Logged
Texas only kept me awake
Pages: [1]   Go Up