Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Bender's Big Score"  (Read 5295 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
"Bender's Big Score"
« on: December 16, 2007, 07:10:27 pm »

Good Lord, have you people watched this yet?

Oh my fuckin' God, so good. So good!

Because of the... bad times lately... my Adri and I exchanged one Christmas gift early this year.

She got "Super Mario Brothers 3" and I got "Bender's Big Score".

Any movie that will insert an entire supporting character into a film just so that a small joke in the wrap-up montage song near the end will pay off... oh my God... that movie is officially my hero.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 07:18:52 pm »

Rented it last night, watched the first few minute, then fell asleep.  Not because of the movie, I'd just finished dinner and a couple of beers. I'll be trying again shortly.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 07:37:34 pm »

Any movie that will insert an entire supporting character into a film just so that a small joke in the wrap-up montage song near the end will pay off... oh my God... that movie is officially my hero.

Not meaning to be petulant, but I can't help feel that if Family Guy did something like this you'd see it as sloppy characterisation, or trying too hard for a joke etc.

Then again, I'm not a Futurama fan but I can recognise it would do that better than Family Guy.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:46:12 pm »

The point is that... Futurama did it in a really smart funny way whereas in a Family Guy episode, Peter would mention Mr. T and the Kool-Aid man and then at the end, you'd see the Kool-Aid Man fuck*ng Mr. T and then the baby would say something petulant about it.

The IDEA of being all over the place and offensive like Family Guy isn't the problem.

You COULD do that right.

But when you do it with the laziest writing in the history of television, then it blows dead monkeys.

Such as Family Guy blows dead monkeys.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 08:06:49 pm »

The point is that... Futurama did it in a really smart funny way whereas in a Family Guy episode, Peter would mention Mr. T and the Kool-Aid man and then at the end, you'd see the Kool-Aid Man fuck*ng Mr. T and then the baby would say something petulant about it.

The IDEA of being all over the place and offensive like Family Guy isn't the problem.

You COULD do that right.

But when you do it with the laziest writing in the history of television, then it blows dead monkeys.

Such as Family Guy blows dead monkeys.

I don't know about that, I thought that the Family Guy "Star Wars Episode" was pure comedy gold. I laughed and thought it was funny.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 08:22:51 pm »

I laugh more during episodes of Family Guy than I do any other show on television. Don't know what that says about me... don't much care. We've had the Star Wars episode saved on our DVR since September. The episodes where Stewie killed Lois were terrific. On Sunday, I look forward to new episodes of Family Guy more than I do The Simpsons or any other show on that night.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 08:26:45 pm »

They just... re-enacted Star Wars with a few really obvious gags thrown in.

If 80% of the jokes are that your characters are doing the Star Wars things and that... referencing something that people remember constitutes a joke in and of itself... no, no I'm sorry. That ain't a joke.

"Family Guy" give me one or two gut-laughs an episode, generally from the one or two times they just go way-over-the-top offensive. I'm fine with the offensive.

But the rest is just "Hey! Remember who Adam West is?"

"Yes, I totally remember who Adam West is. Now where is the twist that makes this a joke?"

"No no, that IS the joke. Remembering who Adam West is... that's the joke."

"No, actually, no. That's not a joke. Here, here is The Critic on DVD. Watch that shit. They do the hell out of the random thing but they do it with intellect and they actually do something more than reference things, the references LEAD into gags."

"But..."

"But what?"

"I am a Family Guy writer, you see. I do not have the brainpower required to operate a DVD player."

and so on.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »

A can for LFM.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 08:36:22 pm »

A can for LFM.

Agreed. I never really understood why I don't like Family Guy until I read that. All those ellipses are just a decoy for a mind that operates with clockwork precision.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 11:20:18 pm »

I... one time before, I remember arguing with LFM about this. And then I thought, and thought, and watched an episode with my roommates.
He's right, goddamn it.
South Park was right when they said that it's just a bunch of damn manatees.
Eric Cartman was right when he went on that rant about it.


In a hilarious story which I don't feel OK telling in its entirety here, I think that Family Guy may have subconsciously contributed to me actively-not-getting-any about a month ago.

"Um, we are on the couch in front of all of your roommates."
"oh, yeah. Do you want to... go watch Family guy in my room?"
"no. What?"
"I... I love family guy. we can go watch it in my room."
"but... I... I don't... OH! Yeah, ok, let's go do that."
Then she actually turned on Family Guy, and I almost just left.
(that is a lie, I did not come even close to leaving. There are some things you can forgive a girl, you know?)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

milhouse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 07:04:55 pm »

Yes, "Bender's Big Score" is great. I loved how all the flashbacks tied in.
Logged
Three mute birds, walking in procession,

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 05:00:44 pm »

"Bender's Big Score?" Don't you mean "Everybody Loves Hypnotoad?" Did you forget to watch Hypnotoad? Hypnotoad is on the DVD. You should watch that part. You should watch Hypnotoad. You should really watch Hypnotoad. You should really watch Hypnotoad.You should really watch Hypnotoad. You should really watch Hypnotoad. You should really watch Hypnotoad. You should really watch Hypnotoad. You should really watch Hypnotoad. You should really watch Hypnotoad. You should really watch Hypnotoad. You should really watch Hypnotoad.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 05:07:58 pm »

dang, I like hypnotoad too. He's awesome. Everyone loves hypnotoad.

i really think that that's possibly the funniest joke in anything, ever.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 06:23:44 pm »

I love Hypnotoad.  Anyone who says they don't love Hypnotoad has clearly not seen Hypnotoad.

Also, Family Guy is funny, but they stopped having coherent storylines since they went back on the air.  Which makes it watchable, even enjoyable, but not memorable.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: "Bender's Big Score"
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 07:45:27 am »

I love Hypnotoad.  Hypnotoad is much better than "Cats".  I'm going to watch Hypnotoad again and again.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up