Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey Paul...  (Read 11739 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 03:36:27 pm »

I don't have hang ups with smokers that some non-smokers seem to have but I don't think anyone who doesn't smoke would class people on smoke breaks as being productive. If anything the knowledge that someone smokes means you can rely on them to spend a noticable portion of their day servicing this addiction instead of working.
Then again my room-mate started smoking in high school for basically the same reason, so I guess it depends on whether your bosses are ducking out for a smoke or not.
I was going to make a crack here about damaging your health long term to get friendly with your boss but frankly people do much more destructive things for their careers, at least smoking is relaxing and communal.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2007, 07:03:04 pm »

the thing that is attractive about smoking to me is how it makes you really grossly dependent on inhaling harmful chemicals. The way people crave it out of all proportion to how fun or good it is. The way people just need that one cigarette, and are so glad for like 5 seconds when they get it. The compulsive addiction.

...I am not kidding. Reading too much about the Velvet Underground and beat poets and the like have made me romanticize this kind of behavior in a way which the reasonable part of my brain is repulsed by.
The guy I worked with at a supermarket, who would volunteer to go get carts when it was raining so that he could suck down a cigarette in the 10 seconds it took to walk out to the parking lot? so cool.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 10:14:56 pm »

People who smoke cigarettes generally arent happy they are smoking cigarettes. Usually when I see someone smoking a cigarette they look unhappy and mad. The opposite can be said for cigar smokers. Cigar smokers almost always look like they are having the time of their life. My personal experience confirms this- I have smoked a cigarette in a mad mood, but I have never been unhappy while smoking a Cigar.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 10:30:00 pm »

The arguement in this comic's 4th panel is the only thing that's made me want to smoke.
Still kind of alluring at times though.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2007, 10:48:47 pm »

see, the thing where they are mad is the thing that makes me want to smoke them.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 10:49:39 pm »

Lung cancer is pretty punk rock.

Also: this. I'll stop now.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 11:55:14 pm »

That is so true.  I have a friend who, when he had to get a 9-5 job, smoked just to get breaks.

I had a construction job for six weeks when I was 18; my dad was the union foreman, which is why it didn't last 8 or 12 or 20. When I realized that every hour, the guys on the job were taking a break for five minutes, I joined them. My dad saw this, and yelled at me to get back inside and do whatever it was I was doing. The other guys, "give 'em a break, dick, we're having a cigarette." Dad pointed out that I didn't smoke. I told him, "Dad, either you let me come out here with them, or I'll show up with a pack of cigarettes tomorrow."

I got to keep my "smoke" breaks.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2007, 02:19:32 am »

Every time I see the title of this thread, I keep hearing Kim Deal singing in my head. Also, is it just me, or does Frank Black's head look too big for his body in that video? It was 1988...they looked like babies!!

Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2007, 02:35:12 am »

...I hate being this guy, but, that's the year I was born!

So much good music came out the year I was born. I keep listening to albums and saying "wow, this came out 20 years ago... hey... I came out (almost) 20 years ago!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2007, 07:12:02 pm »

...I hate being this guy, but, that's the year I was born!

So much good music came out the year I was born. I keep listening to albums and saying "wow, this came out 20 years ago... hey... I came out (almost) 20 years ago!"

What are the odds - I hate you being that guy too!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2007, 09:30:30 pm »

Then I had the brilliant idea of getting my crowns replaced in Alaska. The work that the dentist did was heinous. Guess what he had done before he came to AK to be a dentist -- he was a prison dentist. Suh-weeeeeeeet.

Yeah, I can speak to the extreme dubiousness of Alaskan dentists. When I was a kid in Fairbanks, we had a pretty good family dentist, but when I was in sixth grade and got my braces, the orthodontist was so sketchy that he had somehow lost half a finger. A 9.5-fingered orthodontist is like the definition of "untrustworthy professional."

(In case you were wondering -- yes, he also sucked as an orthodontist. When I moved down to Nebraska after seventh grade, my new one basically looked at my braces, shook his head sadly, and started triage. I was still out of them six months faster than the Fairbanks doctor's estimate.)
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2007, 12:04:06 am »

Jesus, I wish I hadn't read this thread. I miss Copenhagen like sin now.

Even if you ain't wondering, that was a sonuvabitch to break. Mostly because I like that stuff, odd as that may seem.

Now my life is a melange of sugarless gum and sad little gnawed stir sticks. Sometimes I make damaged dinky little stick figures with them after use and have them all arrayed about and telling each other how the lowered risk of oral cancer is so totally worth it.

Sure.

Damn, Ash. I can't imagine chewing tobacco. Did your lady kiss you when you chewed? What about going down on her? Weren't you worried about giving her pussy cancer when you chewed tobacco?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2007, 12:07:48 am »

linnea says what I was trying to figure out how to say.

oral ____ should only be filled in with one word, and it is not "Cancer."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2007, 01:01:39 am »

linnea says what I was trying to figure out how to say.

oral ____ should only be filled in with one word, and it is not "Cancer."
Surgeon?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2007, 04:44:28 am »

PUSSY CANCER KNOWS NOT OF YOUR FOOLISH SCIENCE OR LOGIC
PUSSY CANCER KNOWS ONLY FEAR
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up