Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey Paul...  (Read 11748 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2008, 04:18:24 am »

I'm just glad I'm not alone in having a youth free of exciting incident. I'm just starting to realise all this cool stuff I could have done at the point where I'm really to old to get away with it anymore. Kind of sad.

I've never smoked a cigarette but there are these really irritating holier than thou notices on the benches around here asking people not to smoke and leave their butts there. It's in the form of a poem called 'ode to a park bench' and if I ever walk by that with someone who does smoke I will bum a cigarette, light up and then put that fucker out in the 'O' in 'ode', I hate that stuff: just say 'don't smoke'.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2008, 05:17:49 am »

I used to smoke, actually, I picked it up for the dumbest reason in the universe -- to impress a guy I liked (hey, I was fourteen).  It took me ten years to kick it.  Even now -- well, not *now* on account of the baby and all -- but sometimes when I'm out having a few drinks I'll buy a pack, smoke less than half of it, and throw the rest away.  I enjoy a smoke now and then, but I definitely am not addicted.  It's more of a thing I do to enhance my bargoing experience on the rare occasions I have the opportunity to go to a bar. 

I know this probably sounds freakish to you Cali-folks, but remember that I live in Tobaccoland, where not only can you still smoke in most bars and restaurants, but also in the Winston-Salem shopping mall. 

I didn't really drink at all until I was 22, didn't drive until I turned 18, never lived away from home for college (in fact, didn't move out of my parents' pool house until 6 months before I got married).  I smoked a little weed in high school but only for the brief period before I met Pedro when I was dating a guy who grew his own stuff.  It was probably incredibly low-quality but I was too dumb to know the difference anyway. 

What I really meant, though, was that my cautiousness and general disinterest in living dangerously began in early childhood.  I didn't get a two-wheeled bike until I was ten; I never climbed a tree, played pickup kickball in an empty lot, or kicked open a wasp's nest to see what was inside.  (Apparently, if Pedro is to be believed, these are normal things to do.  I lived in the suburbs.  The only wasps we had were the people who attended the Presbyterian church across the street.) 

I also have never broken a bone or had a cavity.  I never went to the emergency room until college, when I hacked a chunk out of my thumb with a chef's knife while working at the Chik-fil-a at the student union.  (I've been to the ER three times in my life, and had to get a tetanus booster all three times.)  I got stung by a bee once, because it landed on my glasses while I was playing in the sandbox and when I went to swat it away, I hit the stingin' end by mistake.  But usually I wasn't outside long enough to encounter wildlife that closely.  I mean, the highlight of my summer between third and fourth grade was reading the encyclopedia all the way through S.  (It was a "children's" encyclopedia, probably aimed at sixth graders or thereabouts.  Not by any means comprehensive.  But still.  Geeky.)  I was not exactly the kind of kid Mom had to worry about coming home bloody and bruised.  In fact, some of my most distinct memories of summertime as a kid involve her coming into my bedroom and insisting that I put down that book, for Pete's sake, and go outside for a while.  When I was reading the Babysitter's Club, I had a two-book-a-day habit that drove Mom crazy. 

And don't even get me started on Choose Your Own Adventures. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2008, 05:38:49 am »

I live on about 64 acres.

When I was about 12-14, I used to drive my dads truck all around there (he was at work, it was a truck for working in the field/grass clippings only(actually it still is, drove it today while axing trees)).  One day I drove it to my basketball goal and started dunking off of the tailgate.  I missed one time, fell ten feet on concrete, landed on my head and was literally passed out for hours (at the hospital of course).  My friend called my mom and told her I was dead.

Good times.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2008, 06:31:11 am »

I live on about 64 acres.

When I was about 12-14, I used to drive my dads truck all around there (he was at work, it was a truck for working in the field/grass clippings only(actually it still is, drove it today while axing trees)).  One day I drove it to my basketball goal and started dunking off of the tailgate.  I missed one time, fell ten feet on concrete, landed on my head and was literally passed out for hours (at the hospital of course).  My friend called my mom and told her I was dead.

Good times.

Well that explains a lot.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2008, 06:42:11 am »

Too easy.


Also, not my only concussion!


To be fair, the other one was minor, happened only because of the first and in organized sports.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 06:52:26 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2008, 09:44:43 am »

I went through a period where I kept getting winded/concussed from falling off things. It started when I tripped over a cat at my great uncle's place and then kept increasing as my family travelled north. I also have a scar down the middle of my scalp from getting knocked oin the head with a plank of wood. Those are about the most exciting things that happened to me in my childhood.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2008, 02:15:59 pm »

When I was a pre-teen, shortly after we'd been taught sex ed in school, I was climbing on this snow fort we'd built on the playground and I managed to slip in a way where I slammed my crotch directly on the rigidly frozen snow wall full force.  I was hella embarrassed to tell anyone due to my recent lessons in lady plumbing so I acted like nothing happened.  Truthfully I was in such agony for days and days that I worried I'd some how broken my pu$$y.  Thankfully it turns out it was more like when Peter Parker got bit by the spider.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2008, 03:00:10 pm »

Thankfully it turns out it was more like when Peter Parker got bit by the spider.

That is the best possible way for any story to end. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2008, 05:17:28 pm »

Truthfully I was in such agony for days and days that I worried I'd some how broken my pu$$y.  Thankfully it turns out it was more like when Peter Parker got bit by the spider.

As with Ash, I judge there is no sense in following this one.

Super-pussy!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2008, 07:15:48 pm »

Quote from: jldunston
That is the best possible way for any story to end.

Except when The Outer-Space Devil ends up saving a 120-year-old dying woman in trade for your marriage and twenty years end up going right down the pooper, of course.

But that'd be silly.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2008, 09:03:20 pm »

That is the best possible way for any story to end. 

It took me some time to master my powers, and to learn to use them for good, rather than... good.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2008, 02:38:16 am »

With great pussy comes great responsibility?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2008, 04:44:51 am »

Undoubtedly - the responsibility is to share it with me!
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Hey Paul...
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2008, 01:04:25 am »

I'll take the soup, I've got enough cats of my own, thanks.

Jesus. You know, I sort of hold you to a higher standard than that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up