Maybe it is too early for this thread. I figure, you know, this shit comes real in 6 days.
This year, I want to:
write words to some of the songs I have banging around in my head. I am pretty down on my skills at playing guitar, but goddamn, I think that some of these things I've come up with could be damn good songs. It's not like I want to be able to be John Lennon or whatever... I want to be able to play a song on the guitar and sing it in front of people. A song I wrote. My problem is that I'm too critical of my lyrics... I always throw them away as too lame and obvious after 2 lines.
Get some sort of girlfriend-type-situation going on, but, you know. It's not something I'm planning like D-Day, it's just something I would like to happen, and I am going to try to be my usual charming self when meeting new people, etc.
find something to do this summer. Right now I am about to start an application to be a counselor at summer camp, the camp I went to for... I think 4 summers? Anyway, every time I go there to drop my sister off I completely flip out and get all emotional, I loved it there so much. On the negative side: no AC, no electric guitar, no CDs, no iPod, no computer, no internet, no cell phone, no good food, no peers except a bunch of hippies, a bunch of 12-year-old boys, long hikes, nature, rain, probably cruddy pay
on the plus side: no AC, no electric guitar, no CDs, no iPod, no computer, no internet, no cell phone, a bunch of 12 year old boys, nature, long hikes, rain, happiness, acoustic guitar playing.
Otherwise maybe I will get some kind of intern-y thing. I will be working on my options.
I want to say get healthier, but I don't know if that's realistic. I would like to gain some upper-body muscle, but otherwise I am pretty content with where I am.
Read more great books, hear more great music, keep finding new books to read and music to listen to, read comics, read the news... learn. There is little danger I will stop doing these things, but it's nice to have something on this list I know I'll be able to check off. I would like to be better about keeping up with new music that comes out this year, especially since that is kind of a responsibility I have at the radio station. Actually, no, that is my exact responsibility, and I want to do better at it.
Lately I have been being more conscious about wasting things-- remembering to recycle, remembering leftovers before they go bad, turning off the faucet when brushing my teeth, taking shorter showers-- and I know it's just little things, but I'd like to think that every little bit helps. Good habits, regardless.
Oh, and finally, college and more specifically my college friends have been turning me into kind of a snob, and certain of my friends, while awesome, are making me turn Mean in a way that I don't like. I am not a mean person, I am a nice person by nature. I know this is true. I am just judgemental about weird things, and lately I am not as generous with my assessments of other people as I should be. I am going to be nice. My mom was telling me about meeting my little toddler cousin, and how he's so sweet-- she said he reminds her of me. This made me sad, thinking about needlessly cruel things I've said lately, especially things that I didn't even really mean. I can beat this thing. Most specifically, I am going to try to be better about accepting things that other people are enthusiastic about. It takes all kinds and all that jazz.
Resolutions? Goals? Thoughts?