Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New Year's Resolutions.  (Read 14709 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2008, 10:02:37 pm »

I got a jump start on my new years resolution, which is to stop biting my nails. I quit in mid-December, and I'm starting to see some disturbing progress. I say disturbing because the new nail (the stuff that hasn't grown in since forever) is coming in all white instead of the fleshy color of the rest of the nail. It's like... it hasn't been there in so long, it doesn't know what color to be. Gross.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2008, 10:11:34 pm »

yeah, now that I don't bite my nails, I am amazed by how fast they grow.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2008, 11:10:36 pm »

Wait, isn't that what always happens?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2008, 11:40:45 pm »

Not when the white part starts when your fingernails can still be considered a "nub."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2008, 07:29:26 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2008, 07:34:48 am »

I've got nearly 2 years now.  It is pretty easy; when you want to eat meat just don't.  Holidays and stuff are easy because someone will ask you questions about you being a vegetarian in a way to make you appear such as a fool.  The rage you get off of that will make it easy.  Random times; don't eat it.  Seriously, it is easy.  Do not eat meat. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2008, 07:40:33 am »

I suspect becoming a vegetarian is made exponentially easier if it gives you the opportunity to introduce more feta cheese into your diet.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2008, 07:43:08 am »

Seriously, it is easy.  Do not eat meat.

I've tried before and after only a short period of time I started having insane cravings for meat.  But I feel like I can do it now for whatever reason.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2008, 07:52:27 am »

See, the comedy premise here for me is that one becomes a vegetarian in the same way Jeff Goldblum became a fly-man in that one movie "Jeff Goldblum: Flyman"... slowly, painfully, physically bizarre mutations and all and then... at some point... you just start liking it, liking becoming A Vegetarian.

"I'm... getting... better." You might say.

This was the comedy premise for me, your results may vary.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2008, 03:35:23 pm »

Paul - the best way to stave off the meat cravings is to eat plenty of beans and other iron rich stuff - hummus, spinach and dried apricots are great for this.  When you're craving meat, it's likely the iron your body wants. 

I was listening to a dietitian a couple of days ago who strongly opposes the vegetarian diet for most people because of how heavily North American vegetarians tend to depend on soy as a source of protein while we're already getting more than we need even in foods that aren't particularly vegetarian in nature.  Because it's become an additive in so many foods, she was saying we're eating way more soy than the body is meant to ingest.  She noted that even in cultures where soy is traditionally part of the diet, they eat much less soy than North Americans do - and she was talking non-vegetarians here.  She went on to talk about how too much soy can drastically throw your endocrine system out of whack. 

I know this story well since I have hypothyroidism which constantly fluctuates and is very difficult to controle even with constant medical supervision.  When I became a vegetarian I was depending on soy based foods as my main source of protein and I became sicker than I've ever been in my life.  I was very confused because I was eating in a way I thought was very healthful - eating lots of veggies, very little fat, etc.  I was vegetarian for almost a year, growing sicker and sicker and having no idea why.  I started talking about the specifics of my diet with medical practitioners, and finally realized that my problem is dietary.  I learned that soy in large amounts not only throws off regular hormone productions like testosterone, estrogen, sex hormones, etc, but it also prevents the absorption of the synthetic hormones I need to take to stay alive (as well as the absorption of several other medications and even some vitamins),  so my hormones crashed, and I became so ill that I felt like I was dying - I was in crisis where I couldn't stay awake for more than 4 hours.  My thyroid hormone levels were the lowest they'd ever been while I was on the highest dose of the synthetic hormones I've ever been on.  My adrenaline was almost nonexistent, so even walking short distances exhausted me to the point where I'd have to sit down.  After I stopped eating vegetarian and started avoiding soy (as much as possible any way - that shit is in everything!) my hormones began to level out.  So though it wouldn't be impossible for me to be a vegetarian, it would take more work than I'm inclined to.

So take serious care of what you're eating Paul.  Good vegetarianism isn't just about avoiding meat but about intaking a conscious balance of the right amounts of nutrients.  If nothing else- take a vegetarian vitamin supplement at least.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2008, 03:56:09 pm »

A guy on NPR the other day talked about a study that found that people who ate a little meat a few times a week were just as healthy as vegetarians. Unfortunately the NPR website is stupid and I can't find the story right now.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2008, 03:57:27 pm »

But soy is so delicious. I don't want to avoid it.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2008, 07:40:40 pm »

I was talking to my Latin teacher, and we somehow ended up briefly touching on the subject of religion, and I realized... I am approaching 20 years old, and I have never read the Bible. So now my goal is to read both testaments in the next 5 months, which should certainly be doable. I will probably just go to a used book store and get whatever they have, but, is there any one translation/edition you folks prefer?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2008, 07:52:40 pm »

The easiest to obtain will likely be the NIV.

The worst, is likely the LOLCat Version.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions.
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2008, 08:46:19 pm »

Read the King James, because reading the bible should be as hard as possible. It makes baby Jebus happy when you don't understand.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up