Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Film festival  (Read 3308 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Film festival
« on: October 28, 2003, 01:33:17 am »

As I said I went to the VA Film Festival this weekend. So now I want to know, has anybody seen any of the following:

    [*]Dog Day Afternoon (Sir Dog Wojtowicz was actually there! He's insane!)
     
    [*]Three Kings

    [*]The Killing

    [*]The Cooler

    [*]Tycoon: A New Russian

    [*]The Italian Job (1969)

    [*]The Italian Job (2003)

    [*]Rififi

    [*]The Million Pound Note[/list]edit: added imdb links to clarify some titles
    Logged

    V-Adore

    • Guest
    Film festival
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 02:26:33 am »

    I've seen the 2003 Italian Job. Had a dang good time; I like artfully-designed Heist Movies, and it did not disappoint.
    Logged

    CortJstr

    • Mod Squad
    • Philippe is standing on it
    • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
    • Offline Offline
    • Gender: Male
    • Posts: 9820
    • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
      • View Profile
    Film festival
    « Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 02:56:51 am »

    It was really cool seeing the two Italian Jobs in a row. There were a couple scenes that were essentially indentical, and a couple characters with the same name but other than that they were totally different movies.

    The '69 version was a comedy about a heist as opposed to '03 which was a heist with some funny lines. You should totally rent it.
    Logged

    V-Adore

    • Guest
    Film festival
    « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 02:58:31 am »

    I really ought to get the '69 version. Heck, a marathon sounds like a good idea; I've always been tempted to do that with the two "Ocean's Eleven" movies, although I've been led to understand the original requires superb tolerance for drunken actors.
    Logged

    jough

    • God's Own Dick
    • Administrator
    • Philippe is standing on it.
    • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
    • Offline Offline
    • Gender: Male
    • Posts: 6871
    • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
      • View Profile
      • poetry archives
    Film festival
    « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 03:13:16 am »

    Cort, I have most of those on DVD.

    The old Italian Job kicks the new one's ass, although Charlize Theron is always worth watching.  Yum.

    Rififi is one of the best heist films ever made, and the first of its particular genre of films that fetishize the preparation of a heist.  There's a 20 minute heist scene that's nearly silent that is just masterful.  

    Dog Day Afternoon is of course a classic.  Hoo-ah.

    Three Kings was the second best film of 1999 behind Fight Club.  Best use of the Beach Boys in film EVER.

    Which "The Killing" did they show?  There are three.

    I have not seen the other three - anything worth seeing?

    CortJstr

    • Mod Squad
    • Philippe is standing on it
    • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
    • Offline Offline
    • Gender: Male
    • Posts: 9820
    • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
      • View Profile
    Film festival
    « Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 03:46:07 am »

    The speaker warned us ahead of time that the 28 minute heist in Rififi had no music or dialog. Apparently it was scored but the director snipped it. And the director was the safecracker. The speaker was also pissed that they clipped the title down to just Rififi. Personally I was just upset that they used white subtitles instead of the standard yellow. Reading white words over a black and white film can get hard.

    Dog Day was great especially because the guy was fuck*ng there. He told us his version of what really happened. It was awesome.

    I saw Kubrick's The Killing.

    The Million Pound Note was hilarious. It was clearly an inspiration for Trading Places. I don't think it's available on any home medium though.

    Tycoon was interesting but definitely my least favorite this weekend.

    The Cooler hasn't been released yet. Don't let the presence of Alec Baldwin fool you, this is a good movie. I think it's better in a theater because of the infectious laughter syndrome.
    Logged

    jough

    • God's Own Dick
    • Administrator
    • Philippe is standing on it.
    • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
    • Offline Offline
    • Gender: Male
    • Posts: 6871
    • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
      • View Profile
      • poetry archives
    Film festival
    « Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 04:11:05 am »

    It's commonly known simply as "Rififi," even in france.  Like we just say "Star Wars" instead of "Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope."  Rialto is particularly inconsistent in their treatment of english-language versus original language for films.  They released "Le Cercle Rouge" last year with the proper title (out tomorrow from the Criterion Collection DVD)

    The full title is: "Du rififi chez les hommes" which roughly translates as "rough and tumble guys" in idiom.  

    I agree, those burned-in white subs are horrible.  The DVD has yellow player-generated subs (so if you understand le français you can turn them off).

    Kubrick's "The Killing" was said to be heavily influenced by Rififi, as was Melville's "Bob le Flambeur" (Bob the Playa) and even Le Cercle Rouge to a certain extent.  And of course "Reservoir Dogs" was influenced by "The Killing".

    Wonderful stuff.  Good gritty heist noir.

    So there was a nice heist theme to the VA film fest, huh?

    CortJstr

    • Mod Squad
    • Philippe is standing on it
    • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
    • Offline Offline
    • Gender: Male
    • Posts: 9820
    • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
      • View Profile
    Film festival
    « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 04:13:17 am »

    This year's theme was $

    I worked two previous fests: Cool, and Technology
    Logged

    jay-ell

    • Den Mother
    • VIP
    • Philippe is standing on it.
    • *
    • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
    • Offline Offline
    • Gender: Female
    • Posts: 7869
      • View Profile
    Film festival
    « Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 01:39:32 pm »

    I have always wanted to watch all the variations on Brewster's Millions in a weekend film fest, but it's hard to track down the 1985 version, never mind the original from 1914.
    Logged
    "I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

    side_show

    • Sweet Fancy Moses
    • Mod Squad
    • Philippe is standing on it.
    • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
    • Offline Offline
    • Gender: Female
    • Posts: 6487
      • View Profile
    Film festival
    « Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 01:53:56 pm »

    Quote from: "jldunston"
    I have always wanted to watch all the variations on Brewster's Millions in a weekend film fest, but it's hard to track down the 1985 version, never mind the original from 1914.


    I loved that movie, it'd be great to see again!  We have a video rental place the specializes in the hard to find, so I bet I could find both (?) versions there.
    Logged
    Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

    CortJstr

    • Mod Squad
    • Philippe is standing on it
    • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
    • Offline Offline
    • Gender: Male
    • Posts: 9820
    • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
      • View Profile
    Film festival
    « Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 02:44:16 pm »

    They used to show that on TV every other weekend. It usually alternated with Ferris Bueller.

    If that's your thing you would totally love The Million Pound Note.
    Logged

    jay-ell

    • Den Mother
    • VIP
    • Philippe is standing on it.
    • *
    • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
    • Offline Offline
    • Gender: Female
    • Posts: 7869
      • View Profile
    Film festival
    « Reply #11 on: October 28, 2003, 03:43:30 pm »

    Quote from: "side_show"

    I loved that movie, it'd be great to see again!  We have a video rental place the specializes in the hard to find, so I bet I could find both (?) versions there.


    <student type=graduate style=historian>
    There are six different versions.  They pretty much just made a new version every ten years until the '50s, with the amount of money inhereited and the conditions of claiming it growing increasingly absurd.  Also interesting: the 1926 version features a woman (indicative of a new American obsession with gender roles); in 1935 we see a poor British lad during the interwar period; the 1945 version describes a WWII veteran who returns home penniless; and Richard Pryor's 1985 version is the first to star a Brother.  The historical context in which this story has been interpreted over its half-dozen incarnations is simply fascinating.  </student>

       1. Brewster's Millions (1914)
       2. Brewster's Millions (1921)
       3. Miss Brewster's Millions (1926)
       4. Brewster's Millions (1935)
       5. Brewster's Millions (1945)
       6. Brewster's Millions (1985)

    Damn IMDB for not providing static URLs for searches.
    Logged
    "I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

    slink

    • Moderator
    • Ocular Shenanigans
    • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
    • Offline Offline
    • Gender: Male
    • Posts: 3051
    • Слінк Ядранко
      • View Profile
      • OMD on MySpace
    Re: Film festival
    « Reply #12 on: October 28, 2003, 04:13:46 pm »

    Quote from: "CortJstr"
    As I said I went to the VA Film Festival this weekend. So now I want to know, has anybody seen any of the following:

    Only those. Dog Day Afternoon is a superb film. Always loved it.
    Three Kings was OK. I think. I was stoned when I saw it and can't really remember it that well.
    The original Italian Job, while silly is a great movie. Not sure about the new one...
    Logged
    FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

    CortJstr

    • Mod Squad
    • Philippe is standing on it
    • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
    • Offline Offline
    • Gender: Male
    • Posts: 9820
    • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
      • View Profile
    Film festival
    « Reply #13 on: October 28, 2003, 04:47:59 pm »

    The only parts I didn't like about the '69 Italian Job are that the sound ratios were way off so the music and effect were painful while the dialog was normal and that song at the end (we're the self-preservation society) which I still have in my head. The presence of Benny Hill totally made up for it, though.

    I still can't get over the experience of watching a bank robbery movie then having the actual real-life robber walk out and go "any questions?"
    Logged
    Pages: [1]   Go Up