Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Poll

Did MAD magazine play an important roll in your childhood?

I loved MAD back then.
- 17 (70.8%)
I loved it then, I love it now.
- 3 (12.5%)
No, I was more into CRACKED
- 0 (0%)
No, I didn't read MAD or CRACKED
- 4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: January 31, 2008, 07:27:29 pm


Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: MAD  (Read 8932 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
MAD
« on: January 01, 2008, 07:27:29 pm »

From this here thread the question arises:  How many of us were/are fans of MAD?  I'm willing to bet most Achewood readers read MAD as kids.  I don't really know why I don't read it anymore.  I guess I don't really have my finger on the pulse of kid culture to the point where I would "get" a lot of it like I did when I was 12?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 07:49:04 pm »

I haven't read it in a long time, but I enjoyed it back in the day. Sometimes I would get a copy at our nearby 7-11 newsstand. I remember my dad had an Alfred E. Neuman t-shirt that I appropriated and wore until it was threadbare.

EDIT: Now I have the Beastie Boys' "Shadrach" stuck in my head, which is a song that mentions Alfred E. Neuman.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 07:54:20 pm by linnea »
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 09:53:22 pm »

I read MAD for many many years, but it turned to shit after William M. Gaines died.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MAD
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:09:22 pm »

a month or so ago, I saw a copy of MAD for sale, and commented "I thought that didn't exist any more?"

Does it still aim at the same age bracket? I would imagine that the audience is now mostly grown-ups who used to read it as kids.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MAD
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:22:15 pm »

MAD's still pretty good... the art is a little too polished, these days, and the whole "legit ads and glossy pages" thing is a little off-putting to me but... on the flipside, they seem to be drawing their stuff from a larger less-insular talent pool these days and that's usually a good thing.

I can't say I read it monthly, as I did as a kid, but I'll pick it up two or three times a year, on whim.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:55:56 pm »

Didn't everyone read MAD as a child? It would be unAmerican or something not to.

I would have said that it didn't have that much influence on me, though, until I remembered that there's a kind of bird at the zoo that the Technical Staff and I have always called the "Spy vs Spy bird." So obviously there's some of that stuff still bopping around in my brain.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: MAD
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 11:18:38 pm »

I loved me some MAD magazine as a kid, and didn't really read Cracked until MAD fired a few writers/artists and Cracked picked them up (I'm looking at you, Duck Edwing).

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 12:31:26 am »

I had a subscription.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 01:09:35 am »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 01:46:09 am »

I only read Mad a couple of times when I was a kid, I think I was a bit too young for it's heyday but my housemate has this box of old copies (haven't looked at the dates but judging by the references I'd say they're mostly mid 80s vintage) that sits next to our toilet and they are good for some yucks. I was surprised at how bitingly political some of their stuff was considering it was (theoretically) a kid's mag.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: MAD
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 07:23:50 am »

I read MAD occasionally as an adolescent, but what really made it for me was my copy (appropriated from my dad) of the "MAD About The '60's" compilation, which had the advantage of being the best stuff from a decade far removed from me. Half of what I know about '60's politics now I was introduced to in the pages of that book, and I'm not nearly as ashamed about it as I should be.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 02:16:42 pm »

I had a subscription too.  I wonder where they all went?  Probably thrown out by mom. 

I seem to recall it not having ads when I was a kid, and that was part of a joke, but then they buckled and started putting ads in later on when I was no longer reading it, but that this was an issue that actually hit the news due to their love of parody ads.  Or maybe I imagined this?  I just remember thumbing through it as an adult, seeing an ad, trying to figure out the joke, then realizing that no - it's an actual ad.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 08:41:44 pm »

They never had ads until after William Gaines died.  Ironically, they also raised the price.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 02:28:38 pm »

I was Not Allowed to read MAD, which means that I found my older brother's back issues when I was about eight and sneaked (snuck?) them into my closet, along with his old Spiderman comics.  (He was at college by then, so AFAIK he never missed them.)  So I was reading late-seventies MADs in the mid-eighties, which I think started me on a long path of being a decade behind the times. 

I remember a lot of Star Wars jokes, and a parody of "Tootsie." 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 03:15:20 pm »

Mad was great in the 70s.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up