Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Poll

Did MAD magazine play an important roll in your childhood?

I loved MAD back then.
- 17 (70.8%)
I loved it then, I love it now.
- 3 (12.5%)
No, I was more into CRACKED
- 0 (0%)
No, I didn't read MAD or CRACKED
- 4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: January 31, 2008, 07:27:29 pm


Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: MAD  (Read 8923 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 05:23:24 pm »

Yes, actually it was beautiful.  There was so much care and skill there.  The library had MAD from about 10 years back when I was a kid, and they basically kept them until they disintegrated, so my first introduction to MAD was the late 70's early 80's stuff, even before I could really understand the content.  I would just love to examine the art work - there was so much detail and artistry.  I haven't looked at one in years... maybe some of the magic is still there?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: MAD
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 04:03:12 pm »

Their parody of Kramer vs Kramer remains stuck in my head. Maybe cuz Mort Drucker drew a naked women. Mmmm....naked women....
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 04:20:01 pm »

Their parody of Kramer vs Kramer remains stuck in my head. Maybe cuz Mort Drucker drew a naked women. Mmmm....naked women....

To my pubescent self, Mort Drucker drew great naked women.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 08:06:25 pm »

I am glad no one here was into Cracked.  My SO was into Cracked and liked it more than MAD.  Infact he didn't really like MAD at all.  When he told me this, after 6 years of couplehood, I felt, for a brief moment, like maybe you can never really know a person.  Not really.  It's disquieting.  How could you like Cracked more than MAD?  How is that even a thing that happens?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MAD
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 10:18:41 pm »

I am glad no one here was into Cracked.  My SO was into Cracked and liked it more than MAD.  Infact he didn't really like MAD at all.  When he told me this, after 6 years of couplehood, I felt, for a brief moment, like maybe you can never really know a person.  Not really.  It's disquieting.  How could you like Cracked more than MAD?  How is that even a thing that happens?

I'm in agreement 100% with this.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MAD
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 10:26:28 pm »

It was fine to buy Cracked if there wasn't a new MAD out and you were really jonsing for that sort of thing.

And that is exactly as far as it goes.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MAD
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 10:38:06 pm »

Hey, we got the same can score right now.

Sorry, slow news day and I want to go take a nap.

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MAD
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »

Yeah, my can score seems to... wildly flucuate, actually.

I'm not really a big "karma points" guy on message boards, they're arbitrary and it's not like they build up to something good or something bad but... I must admit, my own Pepper count mystifies me, sometimes.

Sometimes I'll find myself down three or four when... I haven't said anything or haven't said anything even remotely offensive and... I just kinda wonder what that's all about.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MAD
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2008, 11:06:18 pm »

Quote
I am glad no one here was into Cracked.  My SO was into Cracked and liked it more than MAD.  Infact he didn't really like MAD at all.  When he told me this, after 6 years of couplehood, I felt, for a brief moment, like maybe you can never really know a person.  Not really.  It's disquieting.  How could you like Cracked more than MAD?  How is that even a thing that happens?

This makes me think of when... a girl that I consider to be basically The Coolest told me she has never seen Star Wars, and said she has no interest in ever seeing it. "I mean, it's just like... a sci-fi movie."
Good lord. I wish I were lying when I said that that is what I think of when I am sad that I am not dating her.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 11:18:47 pm »

I have never seen star wars nor do I have any interest in watching it.  I am not a sexy lady though.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MAD
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 11:22:55 pm »

I.... just...

why. how can you say that. that is so crazy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MAD
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 11:28:07 pm »

It is easy to have no interest in Star Wars if you didn't fall in love with it as a kid and all you know of it was the trailers and hype for the godawful sequels. Quite easy, I imagine.

The first three, though, that was two-and-a-half great fuck*ng movies and you should really see 'em, Keith. Just go to a library or an ancient video store and rent the original VHS version of 'em, watch 'em stoned or in some other state of forced-childlikeness and they're good fuck*ng movies.

Star Wars, Empire and... parts of Jedi... really good child-like wonder fuckin' movies.

Simple storytelling? Sure. But grand simplicity like an opera or the best classical music.

You kinda have to go in having unlearned what you have learned. Cynicism kills the magic, mos def.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 11:35:46 pm »

Personally, I am cool with the fact that not every body likes Star Wars. I just wonder how anybody could reach adulthood without seeing it. It's just everywhere. It's a cultural touchstone, you can tell a joke referencing it, and count on every body you're with knowing what you're talking about.

It's like not knowing who ol' George Jefferson is. It's un-American un-human.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MAD
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 11:44:52 pm »

yeah, for real. It's a modern myth.

King Arthur? You can get by without knowing about him.
George Washington? I mean, you can pick up the relevant details-- Cherry tree, president, general, etc.
Star Wars? Watch it, man. Brilliant.

Batman, Superman, and Star Wars.
Those are the things you need to know about.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:50:35 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 12:17:35 am »

Yeah, dude.  Even I've seen the Star Wars trilogy. 

Actually, I saw some other movies recently that called themselves Star Wars movies, but...

...no, they were not. 

In my universe, there are three Star Wars films and The Matrix is not a trilogy. 

It's a happy place to be. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up