Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Poll

Did MAD magazine play an important roll in your childhood?

I loved MAD back then.
- 17 (70.8%)
I loved it then, I love it now.
- 3 (12.5%)
No, I was more into CRACKED
- 0 (0%)
No, I didn't read MAD or CRACKED
- 4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: January 31, 2008, 07:27:29 pm


Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: MAD  (Read 8908 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 12:23:52 am »

See, I have this thing were I can only watch documentaries and the best of the best comedies.  Everything else just makes me lose interest almost immediately.  I tried to watch the newest batman the other day (well, I was playing dominoes at a friends at it was on) and I could not watch it at all.

I don't think it is a add thing either, I mean I can concentrate on music or books or years of achewood strips or the Big Lebowski or early Woody Allen films or like whole seasons of the wire or arrested development or seinfeld at once, just, besides that, I can't do it.  Something about the movie format really turns me off I guess.

If Star Wars was like a bad ass hbo special I might be able to watch.

I have horrible eyes?  maybe this has something to do with it.  I don't really dig to hard on video games either, except Mario and early games.  The only games I have ever beaten are the first three Marios and the original Contra.


Yeah, so to make this more focused, I have very, very little knowledge of Batman, Superman or Star Wars.  I know shit tons about the Ottoman Empire though!

Oh, and I like a lot of movies I didn't list here, just to be clear, but mainly the basics; your Life of Brian's and Spinal Taps.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 12:38:10 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: MAD
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 12:38:02 am »

Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 01:24:36 am »

I have just discovered that Keith and I have a lot in common. Except for the video games and the ottoman empire.

Do you find this frightening too, Keith? I am sorry.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 02:19:53 am »

Sorry?

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MAD
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 02:28:58 am »

It's okay, Keith.

50 "Hail Yodas" on my desk Wednesday morning is all.

In cursive, mind you.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MAD
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 02:45:30 am »

Batman, Superman, and Star Wars.
Those are the things you need to know about.

Wait, so it's a bat, and also a man? That's crazy talk.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 03:02:47 am »

Yeah, so to make this more focused, I have very, very little knowledge of Batman, Superman or Star Wars.  I know shit tons about the Ottoman Empire though!

Hell and yes. The Ottoman Empire owns Superman.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 03:32:15 am »

I too have never see the original Star Wars trilogy, nor have I wished to see it.  I genuinely don't like sci-fi of any variety, and I've seen more than enough referential information about Star Wars, (even of a non parody based ilk via the comic shop) to know it it not my thing.  I was physically dragged into the theatre to see the first of the new trilogy and slept through most of it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 03:35:10 am »

Ol' George Jefferson has company.

What I like about this article is that it acts like stupid laws are something that the liberals communists (this is Townhall.com we're talking about here) invented in the last few years, along with the nanny state. This is just today's version of those old laws still on the books in some places that say you can't ride your donkey into city hall wearing bloomers on a Friday.

I too have never see the original Star Wars trilogy, nor have I wished to see it.  I genuinely don't like sci-fi of any variety, and I've seen more than enough referential information about Star Wars, (even of a non parody based ilk via the comic shop) to know it it not my thing.  I was physically dragged into the theatre to see the first of the new trilogy and slept through most of it.

Wow, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that might put you into a pretty small minority among the denizens of this here board, not to mention the internet.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MAD
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 03:40:43 am »

Quote from: side_show
I was physically dragged into the theatre to see the first of the new trilogy and slept through most of it.

This was how most people who LOVE "Star Wars" reacted to that movie, though.

...except that when we woke up, we were seething with rage, is all.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008, 04:27:20 am »

Wow, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that might put you into a pretty small minority among the denizens of this here board, not to mention the internet.

Yeah factor in the fact that I spent several years working at a comic book shop and I'm a rare breed indeed.  I have a really clear memory of being really young and taking an Elfquest graphic novel out of the library and that this was somehow the thing that turned me off to sci-fi for life.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008, 04:43:56 am »

But Smells... I mean... you still like Asimov right? Heinlen?
Please, baby, say it ain't so.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 05:00:55 am »

Okay, so I'm not familiar at all with Elfquest, so I just went to the official website. Based on the main page, that shit looks pretty obnoxious, but seems to be a lot more oriented toward fantasy? I guess...I'm just wondering how it's possible to categorically dismiss sci-fi. As a genre, maybe, but science fiction is everywhere you look these days to the point where you can't avoid it. For me, it's hard to believe that there is not one thing out there with science fiction in it that you don't like.

But I'm a lazy, comics-reading college student and you are successful and work in theatre, which is something I could never see myself doing well at, so...we probably don't really live in the same mental spaces. So I still think you're cool.



*edit* Yes, I judged a book by its website. Hooray internet!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:04:20 am by lprkn »
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MAD
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 05:17:16 am »

Oh man.

Souring on sci-fi because of Elfquest is like souring on handjobs because you got punched in the nuts.

Both are examples of things that could've been awesome but someone chose to be an asshole to you instead.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: MAD
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 05:18:40 am »

...that isn't what handjobs are?


shit, no wonder I have so many problems going after girls. My heart just wasn't in it, you know.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up