Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Poll

Did MAD magazine play an important roll in your childhood?

I loved MAD back then.
- 17 (70.8%)
I loved it then, I love it now.
- 3 (12.5%)
No, I was more into CRACKED
- 0 (0%)
No, I didn't read MAD or CRACKED
- 4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: January 31, 2008, 07:27:29 pm


Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAD  (Read 8935 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 05:25:22 am »

I think Chris Onstad said it best

Quote from: Chris Onstad
Comic strips suck, they suck so hard. They suck in the worst, most shameful way. Comic strips are such incredible formulaic garbage, with a few excellent exceptions that I will not list here.

This applies to so many things don't you know.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 05:36:39 am »

This applies to so many things don't you know.

I have never agreed with something more in my life.

What is that from?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2008, 03:32:21 pm »

Yeah, I've worked in a library and three bookstores on top of a movie rental place and having edited/written for the entertainment section of a paper, so I am well aware of the diaspora that is out there, and the differentiation between sci-fi and fantasy.  Generally the two are within the same category on shelves, I suppose because they both draw from a concept of a reality greatly separated from the one we live in now.  I genuinely do not like sci-fi.  I don't draw from a place where I think it's wrong to like Star Wars, or the Matrix or Asimov or whatever.  I, myself, don't like it.  And I'm well aware of the fact that that's fairly close to saying something like "I don't like chocolate."  By in large, most people like this stuff.  They like being removed from the here and now and imagining a far different world (either futuristic or otherworldly), they enjoy imagining possibilities outside what is known. 

As for the handjob comparison... I have to disagree.  I mean, you could get a single hand job from one guy and discern that you don't like gay sex.  You don't have to go all the way or try out a variety of men to figure out that something isn't palatable to you, right?  So I can look at the Alien series and get why other people like it, why it is something many people really enjoy, and I can still know it's just not to my tastes. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: MAD
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2008, 04:11:49 pm »

To be fair, the analogy more works because reading "Elfquest" is like getting punched in the nuts, as most swords-and-dragons shit is unless you want to live in a world of swords-and-dragons so badly that even really bad stuff of that genre still thrills you.

It is hard to judge entire genres like this but I think that fantasy is an exception in that... most fantasy writers don't seem to try very hard because they realize that most of the people reading it are not reading it for good stories and are more reading it to... pretend that they could own a unicorn and get fucked by a prince (even if they are a guy, especially if they are a guy) or whatever.

There are exceptions to this rule but there are less than in basically any other genre.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MAD
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2008, 04:58:46 pm »

I don't like handjobs.

I don't like Mondays, either, but that's another story.

I am pleased that this thread went from Mad magazine to handjobs so quickly, however. Nice work, everyone.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2008, 06:39:48 pm »

OK, I was just preparing an argument that the comparison between handjobs and fiction genres was inappropriate because there's no way that handjobs can differ from each other as much as a work of art can.

And then I realized,

A. I have no evidence on which to base the aforementioned claim about handjobs, and

B. Good God, what has my life come to?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MAD
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2008, 06:43:36 pm »

OK, I was just preparing an argument that the comparison between handjobs and fiction genres was inappropriate because there's no way that handjobs can differ from each other as much as a work of art can.

And then I realized,

A. I have no evidence on which to base the aforementioned claim about handjobs, and

B. Good God, what has my life come to?

. . .

Well, based on my posting history, you can probably guess what I was going to say.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2008, 12:24:25 am »

I am pleased that this thread went from Mad magazine to handjobs so quickly, however. Nice work, everyone.

I don't know man, it took four dang ol pages for a fairly logical progression, we might be loosing our edge.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: MAD
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2008, 12:47:52 am »

Well, based on my posting history, you can probably guess what I was going to say.

Well not precisely.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: MAD
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2008, 01:06:39 am »

Well not precisely.



Heh heh. Does that help?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up