Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Cat Toy Problem  (Read 12005 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 07:57:03 pm »

The pamphlet says Avocado is dangerout to cats, which was something I hadn't heard - and my cats love avocado - so I searched "Avocado Cat" and the first hit was fora cat food made with avocado, followed by an article about how every part of the avocado is poisen to cats. Hunh?



Weird.

I knew it was bad for dogs. I didn't know about cats, and that food is very mysterious in light of that information. You should email them and ask!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 08:54:16 pm »


also, the word Poison is one of the ones that looks really wrong if you type it out too many times.

Sometimes when I mis-type it, it comes out poisson (pwa-sohn) - which is either giraffe or a mathematical distribution.  Either way, spell checks fail to catch it.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 01:26:23 am »

Maybe it's just avocado flavoured so that cats too can know the joy of avocado. Like that bizzare dog chocolate.

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 04:49:50 am »

Looking into this further, the Avocado cat (& dog) food site has this info refuting the ASPCA's claims, while every single pet food safety page on the ASPCA site claims Avocados are toxic to all pets.  Looking into it even further, I found this warning info on a government of Canada site which notes a few studies that have found the leaves to be toxic to several animals, and this article which sites many more recent studies.  Wikipedia talks about the specific toxin Persin and sites some studies that seem to point to it's toxic nature for mammals.  None of the actual research I read refers any studies on cats, but with all the varieties of mammals (dogs, hosss, goats, hares, rats) and birds that avocados have been found to be toxic to, I suppose that's where the ASPCA's blanket opposition to the feed of avocados to all pets comes from.  I've found several assertions all over the web that Avocado is toxic to cats, but not a single reference to an actual  instance where this has been the case or any study that included cats.  It's interesting that so many sites offer assertions without any back up.  At least I was able to find several studies that show avocados as being toxic to mammals.  I wont be intentionally giving them avocados any more since they don't need them in any way.  All the more for me!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:02:54 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 07:55:47 am »

I can't think of a situation I would give a pet an avocado.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 07:58:56 am »

aren't...

aren't we mammals?

this is not really a question. rhetorical.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 08:03:33 am »

Also that.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 01:56:52 pm »

It's interesting that so many sites offer assertions without any back up. 

That's the internet - porn, and assertions copied from other sites without any backup.

I am in touch with the ASPCA sometimes, in fact I have to contact them about something else today. I'll think about how to work that question in.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 03:09:37 pm »

aren't...

aren't we mammals?

this is not really a question. rhetorical.

Yeah, one of those studies shows a severe reaction in certain people to a scratch test with concentrated persin, but then goes on to theorize that exposure to several other related foods leads to a tolerance of the toxin - they mentioned Cantaloupe and a bunch of other fruits I can't recall.  There's actually a study testing persin as a treatment for breast cancer, and another I read about a while back studying how the toxin in puffer giraffe may also treat cancer.  And my friend's husband is currently working on a cure for... I think it's either MS of Cystic Fibrosis... using Ebola. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 05:36:23 pm »

aren't...

aren't we mammals?

this is not really a question. rhetorical.

Every part of you is a mammal.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 05:50:33 pm »

Every part of you is a mammal.

Your whole family is made of meat.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 08:33:48 pm »

Wait, you mean the eubacteria in my gut give live birth? And lactate?

WEIRDED OUT
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 09:12:06 pm »

Your whole family is made of meat.
Including the cats and guinea pigs! My house has a built in menu for at least 3 weeks for when the government inevitably tries to take me down.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2008, 12:14:00 am »

I can't think of a situation I would give a pet an avocado.
I had the same reaction, but then I remembered that I had an avocado tree at my last house.  Both dogs devoured fallen fruit with delight, and neither suffered for the experience.

Man, I miss that tree.  It was like winning the lottery.  Everyone's your friend when you have an avocado tree.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 12:25:30 am »

I had the same reaction, but then I remembered that I had an avocado tree at my last house.  Both dogs devoured fallen fruit with delight, and neither suffered for the experience.

Man, I miss that tree.  It was like winning the lottery.  Everyone's your friend when you have an avocado tree.

Oh jeeeeez!! I would LOOOVE an avocado tree. When I finally buy a house, i'm going to build a Thrombe wall on the south side, and also put a greenhouse or conservatory or something back there. I will try my damndest to grow an avocado tree. You can't just grow one from a seed, they're apparently really finicky and so you have to buy one that's had other avocado branches grafted into it. But STILL! FREE AVOCADOS that are just yours for the pickin'!

Jay, what state (or country) did you live in when you had the avocado tree? California?
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up