Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Cat Toy Problem  (Read 11985 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 12:27:09 am »

Oh jeeeeez!! I would LOOOVE an avocado tree. When I finally buy a house, i'm going to build a Thrombe wall on the south side, and also put a greenhouse or conservatory or something back there. I will try my damndest to grow an avocado tree. You can't just grow one from a seed, they're apparently really finicky and so you have to buy one that's had other avocado branches grafted into it.
You also need patience.  Its something like 5 years for the first fruit to bear.  Ours was over 20.  It was enormous (and a great climbing tree too).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 12:58:35 am »

Quote from: jaydub
You also need patience.

Forsooth, I am already disqualified!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 12:59:46 am »

I guess avocado tree answers my question.

I have four avocados, which are probably not going to be that great, ripening as we speak.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 01:44:14 am »

Forsooth, I am already disqualified!

If you have a lot of money, you could just buy a tree that was already aged. Large trees cost a lot of money, though.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2008, 06:21:56 am »

My avocado surplus is because sometimes we have sales when they're in season where it's cheaper to buy a sack of avocados than the few I do need.  This usually only happens with avocados that are already ripe, and I find if I eat too much of them at once, it bothers my stomach a bit because they're so rich.  Naturally, since the cats love the stuff, and since I know avocado has a lot of the healthy fat in it, I figured why not give each cat a chunk now and then - I've also used it to moisturize my skin and as a hair treatment, all of which work great.  If the option is two avocados or six for the same price, why not take six? 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2008, 06:36:04 am »

I went out to lunch for the first time in about a month today.

I went to the Mexican buffet.

I ate about a pound of guacamole.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008, 06:54:08 am »

Wait... a pound isn't that much really is it? 

Anyway - is so good!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 06:57:55 am »

Wait... a pound isn't that much really is it? 

Anyway - is so good!

A pound is half a fuckin' kilo, you crazy lovable Canadian!!!

That is a lot of guacamole. Mmm...guacamole.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2008, 07:23:31 am »

A kilo is 1000 grams, it's easy to remember. 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2008, 07:52:14 am »

Wait, you mean the eubacteria in my gut give live birth? And lactate?

WEIRDED OUT

I was thinking basically the same thing, but then I thought that no one here would think that the majority of all the cells within my body, which are indeed bacteria, are actually a part of my body, so I didn't bother. But perhaps that's something that people actually need to be reminded of? The majority of cells within your body are bacteria, and not actually a part of you.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2008, 02:53:17 pm »

But perhaps that's something that people actually need to be reminded of? The majority of cells within your body are bacteria, and not actually a part of you.

NO thank you I did not.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2008, 04:11:55 pm »

A pound is half a fuckin' kilo, you crazy lovable Canadian!!!

That is a lot of guacamole. Mmm...guacamole.

No - we use pound measurements for most foodstuffs in Canada (produce, meats, etc.), so I know exactly how much a pound is.  I was asking if it was "that much" in the embarassed, uncomfortable way, not the confused way. In a "I know it shouldn't be so" sort of way, a pound of guacamole isn't that much to me.  I have most definitely eaten a pound of guacamole a few times in my life, but thankfully when I make it I dice up a couple tomatoes in it, so... I suppose I was at least not eating pure, delicious fat and fat alone.  Guacamole is one of those compulsive foods for me.  If I make it, I'm eating it, and I'm eating it until it's all gone.  I have had more than one meal of guacamole and tortillas in my life. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2008, 07:18:55 pm »

Jay, what state (or country) did you live in when you had the avocado tree? California?
Yep, California. 


That's it in the back yard, right up against the house.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2008, 07:26:27 pm »

I heard that there is a crazy water shortage and the avacado farmers have been cut off.  They are plowing under 20% of their trees.

Avacado was already expensive, sigh.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Toy Problem
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2008, 09:10:04 pm »

Like Water for Avocado.

I cried because of a knitted afghan a couple days ago, so, you know... I can understand the avocado thing.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up