Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.  (Read 19932 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 02:25:58 am »

She has lots and lots of money and she was physically attractive because she started painting herself up like a whore.

He needs lots and lots of money to hire dominatrixes (dominatrii? dominatrices?) who will indulge him his disturbingly specific foot fetish.

It is simple math, people.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 02:29:55 am »

It's spelled S-M-I-T-H, but it's pronounced Jimnoffsky.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 03:01:10 am »

Quote
We share the same spelling of the same middle name. I still feel weird spelling it. In my head it sounds like "mick-eye-l" like a yiddish person might say.

Yeah, I am always bugged by writing my name in IPA, because it comes out as "daA-CAPl."
Apparently the El part in names like Michael and Daniel is where they got Kal-El from, though. Awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 03:14:56 am »

Yeah, I am always bugged by writing my name in IPA, because it comes out as "daA-CAPl."
Apparently the El part in names like Michael and Daniel is where they got Kal-El from, though. Awesome.

The new filter claims its first victim.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 03:24:52 am »

The new filter claims its first victim.
Success
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 08:20:19 am »

Yeah, I am always bugged by writing my name in IPA, because it comes out as "daA-CAPl."
Apparently the El part in names like Michael and Daniel is where they got Kal-El from, though. Awesome.

Yeah, the "El" in those names is referring to God. (Daniel = "Judged By God", Ariel = "Lion Of God", and so forth.) Since Superman is the product of a couple of Jewish kids, they went with that tradition when looking for names that have grandeur.

Rachel ain't got that one going for it, though. It's kind of hard to explain in Roman letters but that bit is written pretty differently. Sort of the best way to explain it might be that it's "ra - che - l" and Daniel is sort of "Da - ni - y - e - l". Sort of. Also it's a Germanic loogie-hocking "ch" and not a front-mouth-crunchy "ch". (These are totally not scientific linguistic terms.)
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 03:43:23 pm »

Oh man, I can totally correctly write my name in Arabic now. My professor would always say "just sound it out! Daniel is not an Arabic name, so however you spell it is fine" and that bugged me.

so is the e in "el" like a long ee sound, since Hebrew is consonantal? I always wrote Daniel like "DNYL." Which looks pretty damn boring in Arabic, it doesn't use any of the cool-looking or -sounding letters.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 05:05:39 pm »

I am glad to see that the use of "Rachael" has actually gone DOWN since Ms. Ray took to the airwaves.

Here is a thing I wrote on my blog a couple years back:
Found something while playing around with the SSA's baby name-o-matic, which shows the ranked popularity of names, and the number of American kids given that name in 2003. Through this tool, we can see that the girl's name "Paris" has jumped to #275, after hanging around in the 400-500 range for the previous 12 years.

Nothing wrong with "Paris" per se. But what's sad is that there are 500-odd little girls out there who are, essentially, named after Paris Hilton.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 05:25:25 pm »

An interesting thing that I have noticed when I peruse the SS names site is that girls' names have always changed with fashion, but for decades the top ten boys' names stayed almost the same. But in the last couple of decades the most popular boys' names have started changing too.  I feel like this must mean something really deep but I don't know what it is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 06:01:14 pm »

It means that we have graduated up from simply treating our girl children as ornamental larfs that can be named in a manner of humiliating fads to treating ALL our children, boy and girl, as ornamental larfs that can be named in a manner of humiliating fads.

Equality through de-evolution, y'all!

My dad wanted to name my brother and myself Agamemnon and Ajax... Mom talked him down to Michael and Daniel as, since they are Biblical, they are just as mythological as anything from Greco-Roman myth.

Were I to ever sire children, I would do my best to give them good solid names like Edward or Katherine or Nathan or something. I don't care how unplanned a kid is, you just don't name them MarsAssault Bravo, no matter how much you hate them for being.

Hunts move.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 06:24:52 pm »

The temp sitting next to me right now is named Aristotle but everybody calls him Ares for short. He doesn't exactly have a god-of-war build, so I'm guessing he got teased a lot growing up.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 06:39:40 pm »

Yeah, who would do that to a kid.  Seriously.  Greek mythology is no place to get a child's name. 

I mean, you may as well take an obscure name from Shakespeare or something. 

Shit! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 07:00:19 pm »

Popularity of the female name Britney
Year of birth Rank
2006 474
2005 431
2004 350
2003 322
2002 236
2001 198
2000 137
1999 205
1998 451
1997 422

Someone's star has fallen.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 07:04:03 pm »

My dad wanted to name my brother and myself Agamemnon and Ajax... Mom talked him down to Michael and Daniel as, since they are Biblical, they are just as mythological as anything from Greco-Roman myth.

Though I was intent on not procreating for various reasons, I had always fancied naming a young lad "Leviticus".   He would have to take the Mom's last name, or a third, entirely chosen last name, as "Leviticus McBride" doesn't flow well.   Something about that hard C sound in Mc.

Something more along the lines of Leviticus Stanton. 

Luckily I was stopped before anyone was harmed by my odd feelings towards nomenclature.   My son, however has his own problems, as he is named after an Heinlein character. 
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 08:25:35 pm »

I'm not sure I have a lot of room to talk here, as not only do I have an extremely trendy name (according to this SSA thing, my name was the third most popular the year I was born, and this is borne out with my anecdotal evidence that there were always two or three of us in every class I ever had), but it was inspired by a Barry Manilow song. (Not directly, but in the sense that that's where the name first entered my father's consciousness; I still think that's pretty damning.)

... That came off as a trivia question, didn't it? Oh, well. I can't imagine my name and year of birth are all that hard to derive.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up