Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.  (Read 19837 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 08:36:51 pm »

My name is always popular in those lists, but I have never known too many.  One of my best friends right now has the same name, but, in a high school graduating class of like 450, only 1-2 others, and they both added a y.

My name, I think, is biblical, but actually came from a guy known as the "SW Springsteen" or something like that, who is my dads hero.  For some reason I hate putting my name on the internet, but lets just say when you all talk to dunston sometimes I get confused, because she shares my real life initials.

Actually, fuck it, Joe, JL and Joe Ely(dads hero).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 08:50:08 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 08:47:03 pm »

Wow, my name actually cracked the top 20 in 1989-90. I always thought that Kyle was relatively rare. I remember never being able to find any personalized crap when I was growing up. We always had to get stuff with my middle name on it.

I was named after my grandfather, and it looks like when he was born it wasn't even in the top 1000.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 08:53:13 pm »

See, nowadays they are naming boys all kinds of crazy stuff!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 08:54:20 pm »

My son, however has his own problems, as he is named after an Heinlein character. 
Valentine?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 09:20:58 pm »

Can I just say at this point that I am really upset about Jamie Lynn Spears having my first and middle names? 

I wouldn't care if she weren't such a fuck*ng twit.  And I know there are other Jamie Lynns out there, it's not like the first-middle combination is terribly unique, but I hate to see the name being splattered all over the tabloids.  It's...creepy.  Especially now that she's pregnant. 

I fear that there will be a resurgence of Jamie Lynns in the near future, and then I won't be cool anymore. 

Not that I ever was...but at least I had a semi-unique name. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008, 12:08:57 am »

Zebediah
Ooh, close.   I was thinking "Jubal".

My wife vetoed "Sadie" for our daughter. 

I actually wouldn't have gone for that one, as my great grandmother was named that, and she was apparently a source of terror for my Dad and his brother.

We ended up with Kaitlin, which is a name I've long liked - and is familial as well.  My grandmother was Margaret Kathleen, and apparently Kaitlin (or even more correctly, Caitlin) is an older spelling.  I used to worry her name would be too common, but in the schools she's going to the names are more like Noor, Yasmeen, Aisha, and Ji Yin.

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2008, 12:20:18 am »

Wow, my name actually cracked the top 20 in 1989-90. I always thought that Kyle was relatively rare. I remember never being able to find any personalized crap when I was growing up. We always had to get stuff with my middle name on it.

I was named after my grandfather, and it looks like when he was born it wasn't even in the top 1000.

My mom had narrowed my name down to Kyle and Eric - my grandmother preferred Eric, so here I is. I've found it interesting since that I was destined to share a name with a South Park kid.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2008, 12:31:09 am »

I'm not sure I have a lot of room to talk here, as not only do I have an extremely trendy name (according to this SSA thing, my name was the third most popular the year I was born, and this is borne out with my anecdotal evidence that there were always two or three of us in every class I ever had), but it was inspired by a Barry Manilow song. (Not directly, but in the sense that that's where the name first entered my father's consciousness; I still think that's pretty damning.)

... That came off as a trivia question, didn't it? Oh, well. I can't imagine my name and year of birth are all that hard to derive.

Mandy. It's gotta be Amanda, yes? I love that name, because I had a friend named Amanda who was kickass.
Logged

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2008, 02:32:41 am »

My name is Owen, which I'm quite happy with as it's rare enough that I don't often come across others with the same name, but it's also accepted as a perfectly normal first name, so I don't get ridiculed for it.

Oh, and the best way to look at baby name popularity is the NameVoyager.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2008, 02:45:19 am »

Had I known an Owen as a child... I would have definitely inundated him with "Throw Momma From The Train" jokes that almost no one would get and certainly only I would only get.

"OWEN! OWEN, GET ME SCHOME SODA, YOU SCHUPID IDIOT!"

Oh man, how I... and only I... would've laughed and laughed.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2008, 03:06:15 am »

Alright, I did that.  My name has been in the top 15 for a fuck*ng century.  Where are all the Joe's?  My theory is in the suburbs the name of the day is more prominent?  I grew up with blakes and kyles and amandas and and and no joes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 03:10:23 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2008, 04:44:53 am »

The year I was born my name was number 19.  In 2006 it had dropped to 134.  Dang.

Also, If I ever have a girl child she will be named after my great grandmother Amazon Caledonia.  That is non negotiable.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2008, 04:53:37 am »

hm. I really like old-fashioned sounding names, but I also like really common names.

A girl I know used to date a guy named Archimedes. He is, of course, the smartest fuck*ng guy in the world, so he can pull it off.
I know a girl named Stuart due to a tradition of naming daughters with their mother's maiden name. Again, she is gorgeous, so she can pull it off.

Those of you who have kids-- did you run into problems where you had bad associations with names you liked? There are a lot of names that are ruined for me, I think, because it would be weird to name my child the same as an ex girlfriend, or that kid in high school who blasted Kenny Chesney when pulling his truck into the parking lot every day.

I gave a friend of mine a baby-name book as a joke, where i had gone through and circled names I liked for our child (a really boring and unfunny inside joke which we have continued for some reason for several years.) I seem to recall we settled on Emma or Emily. Something with Ms.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2008, 05:09:39 am »

Also, If I ever have a girl child she will be named after my great grandmother Amazon Caledonia.  That is non negotiable.

Oh HELL YES!

Fuck, I'm thinking about changing my name to Amazon Caledonia now.

THESE KNIVES!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up