Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.  (Read 19795 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2008, 08:03:12 pm »

I don't know if there is such a thing as a truly unique name any more.   

I have a friend whose daughter is named Hyla, after a genus of tree frog, which I assumed was unique. But I found three other people in the first two pages of Google hits.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2008, 10:39:12 pm »

The thing about Moxie CrimeFighter Jillette is that, her dad being Penn Jillette, she will surely be raised to live up to the sheer weirdness of her name. It's not a fire-and-forget thing like a lot of genuinely terrible names.

Also, on the subject of naming people after genera of tree frogs: if I were into amphibians, I would consider naming a child "Rana Pipiens." Even if it's outdated now, it's a species name I've always found mellifluous.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 02:24:35 am by V-Adore »
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2008, 11:32:24 pm »

I'm not against the name Moxie. It's unusual, but not weird. It's the CrimeFighter that makes it weird. Moxie by itself isn't on the same level as Dweezil.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

True, Moxie is... eccentric... but it is definitely not full-cask-strength weird.

On the Susan-to-Moonunit Scale it is a seven or maybe even just a high six.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2008, 02:31:12 pm »

http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2008/01/mcdonalds-vs-starbucks-vs-ray-vs-me.html

It's interesting that Beef thinks McDonald's will help Starbucks, as Slate just ran a piece explaining how the first Starbucks in a town actually helps existing coffee shops.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2008, 02:44:27 pm »

A damn fine blog post.  I know Starbucks drink orders are easy material, but Beef's description still made me chuckle, especially in the context of McDonald's counter-people trying to recite them.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2008, 04:27:07 pm »

"The Venn Diagram looks like an 8."

I love Roast Beef.  He is a fine gentleman.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2008, 06:36:01 pm »


"I don't have to think about things in advance to know what I think"


Roast Beef getting sassy is always fun. He has some confidence these days.


I also like that Ray specifically mentions that the Starbucks baristas have always showered recently, even before he has described the McDonalds cashiers.

In other news, I totally like Cappucinos. Why didn't anyone tell me that drink was good, I've been consistently getting Mochas and being disappointed.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2008, 09:59:50 pm »

Don't be a cock to a stranger, Ash.  Ain't nothing wrong with a cappucino.  Do you buy into ads that are basically, "Prove you're not gay!  Eat this huge burger!"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2008, 10:05:26 pm »

Capuccinos are a step manlier than what I would expect inev to drink.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2008, 10:14:47 pm »

are cappucinos girly? really? fuck, I am so over giving a shit about what coffee is OK to drink.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2008, 12:05:50 am »

I can imagine inev drinking cappuccinos. But I can also imagine A-Cap drinking Folgers from a two-gallon plastic tub he hell of keeps in a freezer in the garage. Myself, I used to drink Americanos but I'm slowly turning my caffeine addiction to tea. No idea why. Just sort of happened.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2008, 12:09:30 am »

"Prove you're not gay!  Eat this huge burger!"

I keep trying to do this, and I just end up crying.

Now... cocks on the other hand...
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2008, 12:24:04 am »

There are three types of coffee drink that aren't girly.

Coffee... unfrothed milk and/or white sugar at the most, nothing else.
Espresso shots.
Coffee with espresso in it along with unfrothed milk and/or white sugar at the most.

Everything else is fundamentally girly. Unless a trucker would drink it to stay awake after he finished off the crystal meth, it is girly.

This is not to say that I do not drink occasional girly drinks. There are times I throw some vanilla sugar in my coffee, there are times I splurge on a caramel macchiato.

But I admit and own the fact that I am drinking girly drinks when I do it.

If you're stuck with the truth, you gotta OWN that shit completely.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 2008 blogs - Haxall's Pandemonium Chlorodyne.
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2008, 01:04:52 am »

Dammit, people.  A cappuccino is totally manlier than the way most Americans take coffee -- waaaaaaay too much sugar and/or cream.  But I take offense to the idea that in order to be a Man you must drink the Approved Beverages.  For Pete's sake. 

Being a Man is about treating people with respect and protecting those who are weaker than you.  Not whether you like froth in you coffee or drinks that come with little umbrellas. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up