I'm a little late here, but way back when about Yerba Mate. I thought I'd ad my buck oh five.
I get mine from amigofoods.com. Taragui sin palo is my standard stuff (
http://store.amigofoods.com/tayemasinpa.html). "con palo" is with stems, and it generally dulls the flavor.
Wooden mates and gourds retain flavor over time. Metal and plastic mates are easier to wash, but don't have that special taste retention. Metal bombillas help you figure out how hot things are before you burn your mouth, and they feel better on your teeth than alternatives. Drinking mate the way you would tea or coffee takes the whole charm out of things. It's like using the patch instead of taking smoke breaks, the ritual is a big part of the drink. Sharing mate is also a huge part of it in Argentina, but it doesn't fit so well in germ-obsessed America.
Many web sites will tell you it doesn't contain caffeine, but matiene. They made that word up. There is almost no real scholarship on the stuff. Anyone who tells you it will increase your life-span or make you healthier is probably making that up.
I do take a lot of ribbing at work for what looks like drug paraphernalia, but it's generally good-natured.
I have tried flavored mate, and can't get into it.
As for Huck Norris. Nuts to Huck Norris.