Of all the states that are not California, New Jersey seems to be brought up the most. Perhaps this is entirely a misconception of mine, as a search of the comic only reveals one fairly useless mention of it, so perhaps it's the blogs giving me this impression? But being from jersey myself, I guess I am just more prone to noticing mentions of it. Certainly also, his descriptions seem surprisingly apt; perhaps he was once a native. It is certainly frosty in suburban NJ lately, though technically I am currently in PA. I probably will always consider myself a member of NJ no matter where I end up, somehow.
edit: but speaking of marriage ideas.. I think it is despicable that people bow to the whims of older folks who expect certain levels of comfort and conformity at a wedding and end up with a mush of boring music and ceremonies that blend seamlessly into the morass of other weddings, to the point where you'll probably ask your wife someday down the road, "Did this happen at our wedding, or at Paula and John's?". You are getting married for yourselves, not for your uncles or grandparents -- make it something that means something to both of you!