I came home from work to discover the SO had somehow managed to leave the fridge open, so our food was unrefrigerated for what amounts to approximately 7 hrs. I've closed the door, but suspect not much can be saved even if I get it back up to a safe temperature, which will probably take some time. Before I closed the door I touched stuff and everything in the front felt room temperature. Unfortunately we had just recently gone shopping, so I have an unopened case of a dozen yogurts, a 4 Gallon carton of milk, butter, lunch meats, feta cheese (unopened), cream, sour cream (unopened), a big jar of mayo, a large unopened package of that tasty imitation king crab... I'm guessing most of it will have to be tossed, but we're talking about at least $100 worth of food, up to about $250 if I toss everything that could spoil (I was having company over tomorrow and had stocked up, but we'll be eating takeout instead).
I've been hospitalized for food poisoning before, so I'm basically unwilling to take any risks, but I'm also on a low budget and buy lots of stuff in bulk, and I hate wasting food! I called the local food safety office, and they said to check by taste and use my best judgment, but can you really taste bacteria? I'm thinking they don't want any liability, so they didn't want to go into detail. It seems odd that I can't find anywhere that tells me specifically and factually what's safe and what's not. What I need more of is science!