Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Okay, Okay, enough of all that. New strip Wednesday afternoon. "  See, we shoulda took bets.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: i-tunes  (Read 5709 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
i-tunes
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:44:15 am »

I just got an i-pod nano which I love.

Does anyone here know why I have problems with sortation in i-tunes? Several albums show up with all the correct info, but rather than being one albume, they split in to 10 different albums. This usually happens with compilations or mix albums, and the same artists usually split off into a separate 'album' but occasionally, an Album all by the same artist splits.

How do I set the sortation, the columns and the album info to prevent this from happening? It's driving me nuts.

Also, how do I do tags in Last.fm and why do some tracks played in i-tunes or the i-pod not show up on last.fm?

Thanks for helping me out. Ever since I turned 40 and had to hang these onions on my belt I've lost the ability to work this here new technology.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:11:13 am »

Alright if you right click or whatever, there will be an option for compilation.  I would assume that would help you and kind of explain what to do/sort it out automatically, but I don't actually use that so I am not sure how it works/ works with the ipod.  I usually do:

Artist:  Compilation Title   
Song:  Tune Y/ Artist X


Also, on the all the same artist thing; just highlight all the songs, right click, then type in the Artist/ Album name if they are not there.  If they are there, put a check in the box next to those fields.  It is a little buggy.

When I switched to mac I had a lot of problems with and basically hated itunes.  I got those all sorted now and love it, so keep the questions coming if you need.


oh, re-read, I guess if it is a sorting problem, click on album then click on artist bar at the top and that might sort it out.  Also, the little eye ball looking thing in the right bottom corner, click that and try it out.  I love that mode.  No idea on Last.fm
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 07:00:29 am »

Last.fm will reject anything with a name like "track 1" or any track name that's entirely inside of parenthesis or brackets. Songs under 30 seconds are also rejected.

A somewhat boring but effective solution is to use the tagger from Musicbrainz which analyzing your tracks and sets the proper titles.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 07:47:01 am »

The thing to remember about iTunes is that it's basically awesome once you find out that there's a "sort artist" field where you can enter the artist name you want iTunes to sort a song by, while not changing the artist name that it displays, because then you can go all last name then first name in that field and have your Emmylou Harris coming immediately before your George Harrison, exactly the same way it goes on your CD shelves.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 04:17:48 pm »

The thing to remember about iTunes is that it's basically awesome once you find out that there's a "sort artist" field where you can enter the artist name you want iTunes to sort a song by, while not changing the artist name that it displays, because then you can go all last name then first name in that field and have your Emmylou Harris coming immediately before your George Harrison, exactly the same way it goes on your CD shelves.

Oh wait... Really?  Really!  fantastic.  I really haven't bothered much with fiddling in iTunes, but I did sort of wonder about that. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:48:06 pm »

The thing to remember about iTunes is that it's basically awesome once you find out that there's a "sort artist" field where you can enter the artist name you want iTunes to sort a song by, while not changing the artist name that it displays, because then you can go all last name then first name in that field and have your Emmylou Harris coming immediately before your George Harrison, exactly the same way it goes on your CD shelves.

I did not know that either. Thanks for that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 06:52:43 pm »

So, on to the followup question

Anyone got a way to rip DVD movies to i-tunes?

Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 06:55:39 pm »

So, on to the followup question

Anyone got a way to rip DVD movies to i-tunes?


If you download a dvd ripper that can make the move into a mp4, mpeg, mpg. mov format, you can just put the resulting file into your itunes movies folder. This is what I do.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:29:09 pm »

Alright, so here is a question.  On a mac, using toast titanium, how/can I put downloaded stuff on a dvd.  Like, if I have a 700mb Big Lebowski mpg (or whatever it is), how do I get that on a dvd that will work in a normal dvd player.

This question is actually for Wire seasons, which, IS STARTING SEASON 5 TODAY!

Oh yeah, can install windows for a little while if I need to/someone knows how to do it that way.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 08:34:18 pm »

Alright, so here is a question.  On a mac, using toast titanium, how/can I put downloaded stuff on a dvd.  Like, if I have a 700mb Big Lebowski mpg (or whatever it is), how do I get that on a dvd that will work in a normal dvd player.

This question is actually for Wire seasons, which, IS STARTING SEASON 5 TODAY!

Oh yeah, can install windows for a little while if I need to/someone knows how to do it that way.

If you can manage to do all that stuff, you might not be taking your drugs right or something.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 09:07:39 pm »

I bought a song of Puretracks because I couldn't find it anywhere else, but since it's a WMA file with some sort of rights protection I can't play it in iTunes (iTunes says it will convert it when I try to add it then I get a pop up saying an unknown error has occurred).  Anyone know how to get around this?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 11:43:03 pm »

I know you can (or could, if that drm bs has gotten better) but I don't know how.  Since you bought it you could just download another version.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 12:06:13 am »

I bought a song of Puretracks because I couldn't find it anywhere else, but since it's a WMA file with some sort of rights protection I can't play it in iTunes (iTunes says it will convert it when I try to add it then I get a pop up saying an unknown error has occurred).  Anyone know how to get around this?

If you download musicks from thepiratebay (dot org) or from mininova (also dot org) then they're DRM-FREE. You don't have to worry about bullshit like that.

Alternatively, you could burn the song to a CD using Windows Media Player. Then just rip the track back onto your computer in your favorite format.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 12:09:02 am »

I have a program that does it. I got it from my friend. it is called "fairuse" and is pretty good. I am kind of worried that if I point a specific link out to you you'll get some kind of crazy spyware or virus or something? if you search for "fairuse4wm" you will find some sites. They are probably fine.

Anyway, these are the steps:
open the program
click "recover keys"
there are some things that pop up and say that you are going to find a key, and that windows media player might open. find the file you want to convert to no-DRM version, that you legally have the right to. select it.
hit next
add the file to the list of files to make "device independent"
click on "output" and pick where you want the files to go. I just send them to my "My Music" folder to a folder I made called "de-DRMed."
click Next
go to iTunes and add the file to your library
Success!
if it doesn't work, tell me. I do not know if I will be able to help, but, who knows.

I feel no remorse, I spend all of my money on CDs and LPs.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 12:47:04 am »

If you download musicks from thepiratebay (dot org) or from mininova (also dot org) then they're DRM-FREE. You don't have to worry about bullshit like that.

Alternatively, you could burn the song to a CD using Windows Media Player. Then just rip the track back onto your computer in your favorite format.

Under normal circumstances she may not like to do that, since, well, some see it as theft.  I do it, but, I would say, especially in this situation, it is the easiest way.

Also, that second recommendation will make it sound like shit.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up