Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: i-tunes  (Read 5708 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 12:52:04 am »

If you own the music on a CD, how is it illegal to download a copy of something you already own on CD and you're just circumventing a protection that can't really be fully-dully legal?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 01:14:12 am »

Under normal circumstances she may not like to do that, since, well, some see it as theft.  I do it, but, I would say, especially in this situation, it is the easiest way.

Also, that second recommendation will make it sound like shit.

That's not true. You just have to make sure that your settings are good. In Windows Media Player, I think you may have to pay to upgrade in order to use the decent settings.

If you burn it as a high-quality WAV file onto an audio CD, then rip it back using high-bitrate settings, there should be no noticeable loss of sound quality.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 01:28:17 am »

That's not true. You just have to make sure that your settings are good. In Windows Media Player, I think you may have to pay to upgrade in order to use the decent settings.

If you burn it as a high-quality WAV file onto an audio CD, then rip it back using high-bitrate settings, there should be no noticeable loss of sound quality.

Unless you are a true audiophile, and you think everything since the 78 has been a downhill slide.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 01:58:09 am »

so true.
so true.

I have a copy of Slint's "Spiderland" on vinyl that I've only listened to 3 or 4 times. Despite having taken the utmost care each and every time, it has crackles and pops and weird bumpy noises already.
I like a format that doesn't forgive mistakes, you know? Why should listening to music be easy?

*ejects his iPod so that it won't freeze when he unplugs it*
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 02:02:31 am »

Quote from: Nab
Unless you are a true audiophile and you think everything since the 78 has been a downhill slide.

You joke but my brother ...is... that guy.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 04:02:55 am »

That's not true. You just have to make sure that your settings are good. In Windows Media Player, I think you may have to pay to upgrade in order to use the decent settings.

If you burn it as a high-quality WAV file onto an audio CD, then rip it back using high-bitrate settings, there should be no noticeable loss of sound quality.

Usually you don't buy WAV files from internet stores, but you are right if it is a WAV file.  (WAV is lossless, it is just like a cd)  Since hers is a .wma, unless it is wma lossless, which I doubt it is, it will sound bad. 

Seriously, I am not that person, and I don't know too much about wma, but assuming it is like 192 kbs/ v0, if she burns that and then rips it back to 192 it WILL sound horrible.  Trust me.  I have no problem with 192, I do with transcoded 192.  In fact, pretty much every private music site on the internet has rules against this.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 05:00:19 am »

Thanks for the info folks.  I take no issue with using isoHunt to find all my music and searched every torrent site I could for a torrent of it before I caved and bought it from Puretracks.  The real kicker is that I had the track years ago on Napster, but then my old computer (which didn't even have a burner) crashed and I lost all my music.  Even better is that before that I bought the CD that it was supposed to be on, but I bought the "special edition" which turned out to not have the song because it was a US release and the Canadian and UK non-special editions were the only ones that had the track on it. Instead the version I bought had a bunch of crappy videos on it.  This is what I get for liking artists nobody has heard of.

I'll check out the program Inev suggests.  I'd allready searched for programs that convert for you - and lots come up - but they all look hella shady, like they'll put Bonzi Buddy right in the middle of your screen with no option to minimize or something. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: i-tunes
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 05:07:28 am »

If you tell me the artist and track names I can search for it real quick.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up