Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Show me your desk!  (Read 21112 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 10:54:33 pm »

linnea, your cat is going to write a hip-hopera called "Trapped in the Cabinet." awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 11:55:04 pm »

Hi folks - believe it or not we're still working on getting the desk fully set up - there was talk of knocking out part of the wall, sawing (my response was "hell no.") as well as various attempts at disassembly.  I was fairly certain I was going to be without a desk after all, but by the use of many a tool, the SO and his friend got it in for me after patient hours of trying.  Then I cleaned it up and polished the wood with oil.  It's not quite fully reassembled at this point, so let's say photos of mine tomorrow.  Everyone else's photos and descriptions are totally interesting!  I'm so glad I asked.  There's something so personal about them!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 02:23:06 am »

To be honest, I shooed the cats off the desk and cleared some clutter before I took the shot.
Why is everyone else's desk so neat?
That was my home machine (since I'm playing hooky until Monday).  I share it with the wife and niece, and my daughter when she wants to go to noggin.com.  Since I posted that shot this morning it has lost the hat and coffee, and gained a pair of scissors, some tape, a pen, and some trashy vampire novel my niece is reading.  The paper is still there.  Since its communal, there's a certain level of tidiness that comes from each of us having threatened the others with pitching any clutter that accumulates.

My desk at work, on the other hand...well, you'll find out Monday.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 04:01:03 am »

Only my inability to find my digital camera keeps me out of this desk-swinging contest.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 05:09:33 am »

I used my cell phone.  Sometimes it takes better pictures than my digi-cam.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 05:12:35 am »

The only thing I have that takes pics is my computer.

something else i had said.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:29:11 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 06:15:04 am »

maybe I will take a picture of my/the desk at the radio station. I post from there when I have office hours.
Also, I like taking pictures of places, and the radio station is awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 06:43:29 am »

I've done this before.

Iff'n you want to see my you'll have to do a little CJ'ing.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 07:33:24 am »

linnea, your cat is going to write a hip-hopera called "Trapped in the Cabinet." awesome.

Yes, and theinev is gonna rack himself up another tiny can of Dr. Pepper.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 04:13:46 pm »

Iff'n you want to see my you'll have to do a little CJ'ing.

Ok
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 04:18:48 pm »

Much more here.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 02:59:43 am »

Okay, everything's sort of in place now.

Here's my old desk.  I forgot to take a picture of it in place, but rest assured it looked exactly like this, only with a bamboo basket full of office supplies under the monitor shelf and a few CD's in the holder.  The problem was a total lack of storage.  I'm kind of obsessively tidy- there needs to be a place for everything! - so having nowhere to put my desk stuff drove me crazy!  My number one procrastination technique is to find something out of place, and let that pull me away from writing to do something pointless like sorting files.  I also had a horrible hospital cabinet on wheels that contained things like paper and binders - I didn't bother to take a picture of it - it's just and ugly white thing on wheels. 

Last night while setting up the new desk, our tiny cat, Baby, decided she would sit directly on the pile of files I was trying to put away (at this point my monitor is sitting on a big dictionary because it just doesn't feel right if it's too low - it's dark because I didn't want to blind her with the flash. 

To solve the problem of needing a raised monitor, I went to my favorite junk shop today and picked this up.  Finally, the whole thing is set up.  I'm soooo happy with my new desk.  I've never had this much storage, or even a legitimate desk before and I'm big into repurposing old things.  I also love my one odd drawer and all the other little details that tell me of the desk's past life somewhere - it's been greatly cared for, with various carefully repairs you only notice when you're really, really close to it - it speaks to a time when things were made to last and the effort was made to make things right.  Since I have the extra space, I got a little creative with what I put in the drawers.  It's hard to tell from the pic, but the desk is huuuuge.  I'm not tall, but I can sit under it comfortably.  Also, in the same office is a closet, guest bed, a TV and stand full of old Nintendo systems and games, and my "library."

The one thing these photos tell me is that we really need to paint.  White is so boring. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 03:13:16 am »

Why is everyone else's desk so neat?

Let me handle this:


http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2131/dscf0209ze5.jpg

Brilliant thread, by the way.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 05:24:13 am »

smells, that's very like the desk I had in my office when I first went to work at NC State University.  I love those big, old, real-wood desks that just go on forever.  Congrats on getting it all set up; it's much more Writerly than the laminate-and-chrome "workstation" you had before. 

I'm a fan. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Show me your desk!
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 02:30:12 pm »



Out of view to the right:  the table that serves as the other part of my desk, with laptop.  Yeah, I have two computers.  It pays to be the Alpha Geek.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up